TIR Lenses Beam And Height Mystery

What kinda beam pattern comes out from the 5 below? Is there a lens that most people prefer?

I got a bunch of TIR's in from Simon the other day. Waiting for my S2+ to get here. The other one is hiding some where for now.

Also I noticed some lenses are taller than others. Is that normal and will it install into the S2+ okay?

The S2+ pills screw in, so as long as the TIR lens is snugged up, it’ll fit.

Only issue is the leftover length in the tube for the cell. A lens that’s shorter’n the reflector will make a longer space, and v/v. That can be used to your advantage, though, like using a triple without a spacer, and being able to use an 18500 in a shorty tube meant for an 18350, possibly having to shorten/remove a spring (eg, put a brass nipple on the driver vs a long-ass spring).

With just smidgens of +/- length for the lens, it likely won’t matter, and if the cell’s “too loose” (eg, not much spring pressure), you can always add a small spacer at the tail end.

Kool, lots of options for the S2+. No wonder there’re popular. I really like the “triple without a spacer” idea! Always wanted to make a triple. Hmmm I already have a triple XPL-HI and the lens too! :laughing:

Some time ago I did some “tests” with many lenses! I documented it on this thread: Essays with Triple TIR optics and XP-G2 Leds [PIC HEAVY!!!] .

About the favourite TIRs, definitely the pebbled (“hive”) and the frosted ones.

Most of the “clear” ones (be them narrow or larger hotspot) do not make my day, as there are always lots of artifacts, depending on: the type of led (domed or dedomed, 3535/4040/5050, ), the use of the lens plastic holder (or not), the use of gasket around the led (or not).

Yeh, you just gotta shave off the rim that snuggles a 16mm pcb, but make sure it’s absolutely flat (eg, rub against sandpaper-on-glass) for good thermal contact.

Lens+board will “float” on thermal ook, and self-center once gently pressed against the inside of the bezel.

Even better if you make sure it’s centered and pressed down and use thermal cement instead, so snugging down the pill won’t twist the assembly.

Hey thanks for link. :slight_smile: Will help me now. Haven’t tried frosted but I like the sound of the name.