Title change by request: What's good about AFF links?

No, that is not within the accepted use of the SPAM button. Only violations of SB’s policies are eligible for use of the SPAM button. Anything else you mark as SPAM is abuse of the system. Some people think that AFF links are inherently SPAM, but SB has stated clearly that they are not considered inherently bad and are okay to use on this site.

How about changing the question? Enough negative responses...So:

What's good about affiliate links?

Let's see if they outweigh the negative points.

There is only one thing good - earning money or other tangible goods by promoting sales online, and even then only for the person who posts affiliate links.

Deals? Well, they save money of those, who buy, but Ive never heard any seller stating that their deals should be posted as aff links only.

Aff links as such benefit only those, who post them.

I don’t have any problem with certain other forum members benefiting from me making a purchase. It costs me the same (or less) if I use their affiliate link vs not.

Cricket

To me it is annoying unsolicited infiltrated commercial advertising hiding in plain sight. Fine if I look for a good price, but otherwise noise that drown the genuine content of the forum. So I would prefer if it was only in specific areas that I can avoid unless I am looking for a good price on a specific item.

It is divisive, because everyone seems to think they have the right opinion, and want to force it down the oppositions throat. The tactics of politics comes a close second on that, and its not allowed for that very reason. Note I said second, because some here are so arrogant about it I think a conversation on politics would go better. Clearly you have noticed that, as have many others thus the subject has been done to death.

But in the end, the owner of the site makes the call. Its not a democracy. Dont like it, start a site and fly your flag on that. Just a general statement, not aimed at anyone.

If you ask me, and you did. One of the issues is that certain members deal with a seller, it goes sour and they take it very personally, it escalates and takes over part of their lives so much so that everyone else has to hear about it at every possible opportunity under the guise of a community service. And believe me they protest that altruistic nature is the main reason for their post. Its not, its part of the life consuming nature of their personality. When you then consider that other people deal with that same seller and have the gumption or nouse or whatever it might be to organise deals and links that they post, then all of a sudden the angry poster has another person to vent at, and a place to poke their little problem into for all to hear once again.

Its funny. Thjey think that anyone not interested in their little lifes struggles is a shill. Go so far as to accuse those who dont believe them or take their side to be shills even if theyve never had an interest in anything associated with that business. The facts dont matter, its just their rants that do. Its made worse when that same person tries to cash in on some of the goodwill his account has accumulated here by inventing or redesigning something members might need etc. But the funny part is the way they themselves use the forum to voice their personal issues, shilling their own agenda. But alas, the irony of their hypocrisy is lost on them. Instead they shuffle off and mope about it. Possibly even never to return because they didnt get their way.

Im not pointing at anyone in particular, but its a reflection of a few so some will see themselves in what Ive just typed.

In the end SB is OK with affiliate links, provided they are not hidden. Choice appears to be his thoughts on what makes them acceptable or not, and to be honest I cant fault that logic. Not that is matters if I could, as said its his site, his rules.

There are times where the community can be helpful in dealing with dealers. But there are times where some buyers are just a nuisance, and clearly take risks and then expect the forum to give them new odds. Sadly.

Yep, one things keeps a group of people civil, its alcohol.

Alright, Title changed as requested. I’m not expecting a major change in the flow of this thread because of it, but hey, we’re all just here to have fun, right? :wink:

I dont understand why the controversial about the affiliates… :open_mouth:

Haven’t read everything here. Read a lot of nonsense, so skipped to the bottom.

Personally I can’t see the problem with AFF links. Nobody forces you to click them and even if you do, you still aren’t forced to buy the item or at least by it via the AFF link.

Everyone here is more than capable of Googling the vendor to find their site and then searching for the item.

And so what if it isn’t the best deal, that has no bearing on it at all. It’s down to each and every person to be happy BEFORE they buy. If you know it’s cheaper elsewhere, buy it from there. But don’t moan that you yourself clicked on a hyperlink.

If AFF links helps me to score a good deal I would not else, why not!? Same for group buys.

Yeah, I think I’m just starting to understand how people feel, because of this thread. But, I’m far from understanding why some of them feel the way they do. I guess it’s like I said before. Some people are more sensitive to certain things and some people, like myself, are insensitive for the most part.

having fun here..

I`ve been seeing a wave of criticism on this topic,

and since it changed the title to Whats good about Aff links.. I haven`t seen a single reason!

Some people can ask the same question until they get the answer they want.

I have never posted an Aff link, so don’t partake in getting anything from them. But I think there are some valid reasons why they are good.

-word is more likely to spread of a good deal
-if a single person can prove they can bring in a lot of buyers (the aff link provides proof of this), then they may be in a better position to get even better deals or a choice of what products may be offered
-they certainly do no direct harm to anyone, so this must be a positive attribute
-Aff links encourage sellers to do limited or special run deals, because they know that word will get round quickly. More deals and better prices has to be a good thing.

To answer the new title...

The main good thing is that the poster can earn a little money and the store get to sell more stuff, or at least not less stuff. If the poster get money then the store get less money. And have to increase the price of the products or make less profit. Also if one store is successful in recruiting affiliates, then the other stores have to follow or lose sales. The hope is that increased sales will make up for this, but if all stores are doing this and people don't increase their budget for flashlights, then the overall effect is that the buyers end up with more expensive flashlights and fewer flashlights. So sad...

So aff links are good for the posters. And possibly for the stores, if their competition don't use them. If their competition use them, then it is neutral for the store. To not use affiliates would mean that the store loose sales to their competition.

Also aff links may be good for a forum that is run from the income of advertising because it increase the volume of posts and the number of times advertising is shown. And so does discussions about aff links. ;)

If you dislike aff links then the best thing you can do is to not use them and try to get others to dislike them as well. And boycott the stores that use them. If aff links lead to less sales then they won't be used. But I think that is a little futile. The aff links do keep sales up and to stop using them would mean that the store sell less. So the main thing is to try to get the owner of forums to restrict the use the aff links. And that can be hard since the forum gain a little ad income from the increased volume of posts.

So overall the consumer loose and all others gain or are neutral from the use of aff links.

Yeah, I’ve always envied people like that. :face_with_monocle:

I think that’s quite a silly attitude to take.

People are more likely to post a deal if they get something from it too. Sure people/some people post deals that get them nothing personally. But when you can gain too, people are far more likely to spread the word. Sooner and further afield.

Don’t follow chap. It’s simple maths.

Sell 10 at $10 ($5 margin)
Or sell 20 at $8 ($3 margin)

5 x 10 = $50 vs 3 x 20 = $60

If I was in business, then I know which I’d prefer, i.e. More turnover and more profit. And if it doesn’t cost you anything extra to achieve, then all the better.

I haven’t read a single complaint, only fussy f*cks moaning about nothing. What “direct” harm does posting a link do? Remember, nobody forces you to click it!

See point 1 and 2 above. If a company can sell more and make more, then it’s something they’ll want to do. If a way to do this is potentially give good deals, that are then advertised and distributed to a wide audience quickly, then on what rational level is this a bad thing?

At the end of the day, the only real thing that concerns a buyer is the price.

Of course not all Aff links will be good prices, but then this comes back round to the responsibility being the person doing the clicking. It is not the posters fault if you click on it and pay that vendor money. It is YOUR choice. Plain and simple. :slight_smile: