TK's Emisar D4 review

anyone tried Yuji LED they sell high CRI COB LED upto 100w i think. Most COB leds are just too pale.

Nichia was the first to offer a useful LED in high-CRI at 4500K or above, and produced some with unusually good tint. Cree’s high-CRI offerings have mostly been in warmer tints, and typically don’t look as good. Meanwhile, Cree was making the brightest and most powerful LEDs while Nichia lagged behind.

That may be a bit outdated now, perhaps, but the history still plays a big role. Now we have a 219c which has both good tint and high output, and Cree has increased their variety of high-CRI emitters somewhat.

However, Cree’s latest LEDs like XP-G3 and XP-L2 don’t seem as nice for flashlight use. Cree always had kind of a tint rainbow where a single emitter would have different tints at different angles, and it sounds like the latest models might be even worse about that. OTOH, Nichia has had consistently good performance on that count, with relatively consistent tint at all angles.

It’s kind of an arms race, really.

My favorites are the Nichia 219B 4750K 92 CRI and Cree 3D (~4850K) tint at 80+ CRI. They hit what I consider the sweet spot for neutral white. The D4’s 5000K 219c is pretty nice too, though a bit cooler than I’d prefer.

Thanks!

So there is much more than just the LEDs tint that makes the CRI.

Now I just have to wait for more stock and then try to decide what model to buy.

I understood that D4 comes with 18650 tube and you can add extra tubes? I have some 18350 high drain batteries.

It’s on top of the cost of almost $40 in buying the boards and emitters I would want. An out of the box solution would be much nicer and cleaner.

According to the datasheet the output difference between the R8000 sold at Intl Outdoor and the R9050 is about 15. The 219B R9050’s sold there are about 5 back from the 219C.

R9 (red) is one of the color patches not used in calculating CRI average (R1-R8). It’s useful for skin tones and meat but Cree emitters, particularly the higher color temperature ones, tend to score poorly and far behind Nichia’s because their spectrum output is very uneven. Nichia’s R9050 LEDs in the 5000K and 5700K versions have beautifully balanced SPD against Crees and are about as close to natural sunlight as you can get which is why some people like me love them.

Datasheets again?

Nope. Get out.

We don’t use that kind of language around here.

But seriously, have you seen djozz’s test data?

Thanks!

I like my S41 Nichia tint and Meteor S4 3D tint is very good!
Waiting to see when high CRI finds its way to throwers and how much that will matter.
But yes,closest to the natural sunlight in most cases seems to be the most pleasant option.

You dont poke Goddess Of light and get nothing hahahah :sunglasses:

Guys, I have a question: It appears that the Emisar D4 is having firmware/software updates all the time.

Since it’s such a new flashlight, may it be better that I wait 1, 4 or 8 or even more weeks before ordering?

Quality is more important than speed of delivery to me.

Also do you know how fast they ship the Emisar D4:s now?

Soo I placed an order now as to not get delayed due to their back log, and asked them to ship by Septembr 10:th just for if there might be firmware updates. :laughing:

Very excited about getting it at least in September when I actually will need it! :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot for making this really good lamp!! If it was not for this one I’d have bought an Acebeam EC50 gen2, which is about 70% bigger due to the (strictly speaking) unnecessary use of the 26650 battery. I like it ultraportable and powerful.

As far as I understand there is only 1 update. The one TK helped with. This is the final version without any unforseen problems that would change that.

Got my xpg2 5700k d4 yesterday. I am happy to say that it has TK’s updated V2 firmware version. This is a beast of a flashlight. I knew it would be small but this thing is tiny. I am glad it has a better thermal step down because when TK said it was the “hottest of hot rods”, it was not hyperbole. 20 seconds and the head is hot hot, but it throws a wall of light. I love the ramping and the short cuts. Hank, Tom, and now TK have outdone themselves on this one. Looking forward to my nichia and xpl hi versions that I will order as quick as they come in stock. In all seriousness, if you buy a D4 don’t leave it where a FL novice or worse a child can get ahold of it, this bad boy will burn you quick.

I hate it when I get an email update for my own post, lol. :slight_smile:

You can have it switched off by default via settings.

Not many places you can witness a real time rebirth of the Soul of a Flashlight.

…….as if TK turned a 1/4 mile Dragster into a ‘street legal’ Hot Rod.

If I order this FL here: http://intl-outdoor.com/emisar-d4-high-power-led-flashlight-p-921.html

Will I get version 2?

And which led do you recommend? What is the betteer, nichia or xp-g2?

Or is it better to buy xpl-hi which is quite more expensive + 18 usd?

What are the differences between all these leds?

Which tint do you recommend?

Thank you

You will get the latest version.
The emiter choose is mainly personal preference, but in short:

Nichia is considered to have best tint and cri (Color rendering).
Choose the xpg-2 if you want the warmer 4000k
Xpl-hi for a bit more output and throw

I’m a Nichia guy, but I do believe that both the 5700K cool white, and 5000K neutral white XP-G2 variants are quite favoured as well. If I’m not mistaken, Hank considers the 5700K XP-G2 (one of) the best tints available, whereas the 5000K XP-G2 is a tad warmer than the Nichia variant. I read that a lot of people preferring the XP-G2 5000K to find the Nichia 5000K a bit too cool.