TK's Emisar D4 review

4 SST-40’s in an D4, crazy. (I know, y’all are probably surprised it wasn’t me!)

I get 11,247 lumens from my Q8 with 4 SST-40’s, sure, that’s with 4 18650’s, but still, the D4 is so TINY! Gotta be a blast though, all that light from such a small package…

Just as a note, Vihn is offering SST40 in the D1vn (one emitter) but I don’t see it available in the D4vn.
The specs for the D1vn w/SST40 option are:

• SST40 HD 6500K Lumen 2300, Lux 48K, Throw 438m

In the Black Friday sale he offered many lights which are don’t available (yet?) in his shop. This is one of them, that’s why you don’t see it. It is likely to be available soon. :slight_smile:

Really? Seems off, but maybe the smaller D1’s reflector can’t do more than that. Same in a D1S would probably have a lot more throw, especially if the SST-40 were de-domed.

My LuxeonV D4 does 4800lm at 3 seconds, 4300 at the moment of stepdown (stepdown temp at max). Considering that it performs almost exactly as the SST40, I expect close to same performance too. (my lumens are often a bit lower than others and higher than official)

I really can’t see the XM footprint (XM-L2, SST-40, XHP-50/50.2) working under a Carclo triple or quad optic, the die is just too big. The larger CUTE-3, yes, I’ve done those successfully but of course the domes have to come off.

I’m pretty sure the SST-40 here is dedomed. Die size is very little larger than that of XP-L HI….so it’s going to be significantly throwier than the stock 219c.
BTW, who’s gonna do the first XHP35 D4?

As a note, in Vinh’s Black Friday Sale, he offered qty. 4 of D4vn with XPL HI and qty. 3 of D1vn with SST40.

Excellent build idea. Considering the lower vf it’s going to really ride that voltage drop well.

i like the look :)

I’ve never been that crazy about titanium flashlights, but I want one of those.

(Since I blew the leds in my Rey titanium triple, I’m not over-enthousiastic about ‘titaniumising’ hotrods, a copper section and active temperature management helps but still I prefer the better performance of humble aluminium)

I hope that Toykeeper’s stepdown algorithm also does a good job on this one, then we have (on highest setting) a few seconds longer (compared to the aluminium version) maximum light, then the big stepdown and then it settles lower than the aluminium version, perhaps 350lm?

Hi Martin…

Just say when and where… :slight_smile:

The ti and cu D4 looks out of this world, :smiley:

@goshdogit
Nice beamshoots!
Can you add to the post which LEDs are in the Emisars?

Well, mine is not in yet (yes, i ordered a grey D4 from Neal’s Deals) but i’m VERY much interested in those drivers.
You say it is limited to 4 Amperes, so i gather it’s a boost driver for 2S2P LED configuration?

This driver then would be very interesting for any single cell quads.

Where can i get them?

(PM sent)

If the head itself is titanium, then you will have more thermal lag between the led (board) and thermal sensor, which is on the driver I believe. I don’t think algorithm can do anything about this, and will only react slower. But I’m not sure what material the head on that picture is…

You say it burns your eyes… but it’d be worth pointing out to people that this is not an exaggeration. Shining a modern high-power flashlight directly into your eyes, especially one as powerful as the D4, can literally burn your retina in the same way that a magnifying glass in sunlight can burn paper.

For anyone with high-powered flashlights, please make sure anyone who uses it knows that it can cause permanent vision damage so they should never point it at anyone’s face from close range.

It looks pretty nice. I’m not sure it’s a good idea, for thermal reasons, but it looks nice.

The copper pill section might allow it to sense heat slightly faster and absorb heat slightly longer before a stepdown is needed, but it’s still way too much power in a small space, and I’m guessing the sustainable level will be lower than the aluminum version. But if configured with a relatively sane ceiling level, and if normally used at ~300 lm or less, it’d be a pretty nice light to have.

A stainless head/bezel and titanium body would be a D4 most dank.