TK's Emisar D4 review

Welcome to BLF, Hampshire28! You’ll find no shortage of shiny things here. :slight_smile:

I think the D7 is currently waiting on some driver developments. If I understand correctly, he’s trying to do a more efficient form of current regulation on its low/med/highish modes but still have a FET for full power at the top end.

Yep, that titanium D4 is certainly shiny alright… Ugh… the temptation… :person_facepalming: :smiling_imp:

Still using my d4 green… would be awesome if they make one for the 26650 size…

I am very glad I jumped on the green before they changed the finish.
I don’t think 26650 would improve this model.
Maybe for a D7lite model?

How about d4 with the extension ? So it can run 2 x 18650.?

My D4 is being mailed today!!! SWEET! The green one of course :stuck_out_tongue: Next is the blue one and then the Blue and purple Ti!!! :smiley:

Would need a much more expensive and physically much larger buck-boost+fet driver. Not going to happen I guess.

Is it known how the colors are achieved on the Ti versions?

Electro anodizing can produce these vivid results but indeed it will wear and fade back to the natural Ti color. PVD coatings can be harder and much more resistant to scratches, aren’t known to fade over time or dull with the oils from handling, so this coating would be potentially the preferred choice.

Very nice! Did you have to pay import customs?

And how about the copper? Clear coat?
How about this idea:
Rose gold plated ‘engine’ and aluminum tube and bezel, probably black will look good, but will look like an S41 maybe…
But that’s no shame i.m.o.
But it will be better in thermal management and the copper stays shiny.
…just a thought…

Even his blue and green anodized bodies would look great o a rose gold copper head, for sure!

No duties in the US on these (yet!)

Are there any planned improvements to the d4 in the future? Firmware, new LED’s, etc?

Curious what other technology might be coming out.

Dunno, but I’m hoping for new firmware at some point. It’s not my decision though.

Is there anywhere to get a good roundup of different LED’s?

Trying to understand all the cree variants (xp-l, xp-l hi, xp-l2, xm-l2, xp-g2/g3).

Want to understand where the best uses for each is, or which are outdated.

Here is where I go :smiley: XLamp® LEDs - Cree LED

XP-G2: smallest hotspot and most candela per lumen, but least lumens. It has the highest forward voltage of the three, meaning it draws the least current and makes less light and heat.
XP-L HI: largest hotspot and most visible beam artifacts. TIRs tend to be better at focusing domed emitters. Probably has the most output on weaker batteries as it has the highest efficiency, but fairly high forward voltage.
219C: Medium focus and less artifacty beam. Lowest forward voltage by a large margin, and lowest efficiency by a small margin. Highest initial output on strong batteries like the VTC6, but also the most heat.

edit: should have add that the above is not written by me, i saved this as a referenc that someone posted this forgot who it was for myself as i have a xp-g2 on my way i thought the info was accurare if not im sorry…

Besides this nice resume of mortuus, you have this thread by CRX :wink:

XP-L HI will have smaller hotspot than XP-G2.
And TK measured XP-L HI to have higher output than 219C.
There was a nice summary of differences between LEDs made by TK….it’s buried somewhere within this thread.