TK's Emisar D4 review

Also have become a fan of the frosted Carclo in the triple builds. A Carclo does produce some artifacts and a frosted top layer helps smooth these out.
Mtn Electric only carries 2 options for the Carclo 106 quad optics.
But since it does use a Carclo optic there are options. Perhaps, with enough interest, Richard may be persuaded to carry more options in the quad.

I know, sad but true. I collect Putters, trying to explain why a putter is worth $400 to her is not possible. So I don't even try. Luckily, she gave up asking! It is much the same with flashlights. To her, $50 for a light is unfathomable. So you see, if I want to enjoy things like this, technical "omissions" are necessary.

Someday there will be a really great bargain-filled garage sale!

I'll mull this light over some more, right now I'm leaning toward the 3D. They are out of stock anyways so I'll have plenty of time to think it over. Thanks for the input!

I think a gift set would be nice. You could have the light, one or two extension tubes, required cells for each, a nice case/box, maybe a diffuser. The case should have the name on it. I have over 100 lights in my apartment. None of the lights are in the boxes. The boxes are scattered all over the place. I would have NO idea which light went to which box. And I have shorty tubes and no idea where the original tubes are. So names on the boxes would really help.

(Richard must be swamped, I ordered yesterday and did not get a shipped notice today :frowning:

Not really what I was sighing about. It’s more a sigh about ongoing gender issues in western culture, a topic far too large and off-topic to get into here… so I reduced my rant down to just a sigh. It’s a problem I and other girls run into on a daily basis though. There are more girls interested in flashlights (and tech/geek stuff in general) than you might think, but most of them pretend to be guys in order to be taken seriously and reduce risk. The quoted signature just kinda reinforces that a bit.

So, … sigh.

I don’t really want this to turn into a thread about controversial or political topics though, so it may have been better to say nothing. Here’s hoping the thread stays on-topic. :slight_smile:

I think the XP-G2 3D option is a good choice, but I may be a little biased. It’s my favorite Cree tint, and XP-G2 has the least heat and highest efficiency. It’s very practical. :+1:

You were born in 2010 ?

Hah, go back a few dozen centuries. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Flood is very useful to me so if the default optic is somehow too narrow I will just dcfix my problems away. If mtn had all of the quad optics I’d probably buy a set like I have for triples and single emitter lights.

Mtn does have a frosted quad optic, IIRC. It would probably look nicer than DC-Fix. However, the default optic is already pretty floody so I doubt it’s necessary.

My 5000k XPL-HI A3 set to arrive on Friday. Cool! It will be interesting to see how bright the light is as spec wise it’s the brightest light I will own (even if it’s only that bright for 15-30 seconds.)

In D4, do you see a tint shift when crossing the 7135 / FET boundary?

Is this the same LEDs that’s in the D4?

http://intl-outdoor.com/noctigon-4xp-mcpcb-cree-xpg2-s4-5d2-p-919.html

I can’t find any information on XP-G2 HI S4 5D2? Is there even a HI version of XP-G2?

There is no such thing as XP-G2 HI.

That’s what I thought. I wonder why Hank put HI in the description.

No. The ramp is specifically calculated to avoid that effect. The tint change is gradual, spanning the entire range where the FET is active. At one end it has the 7135-only tint, at the other end it has the FET tint, and in-between is a smooth blend.

However, if you run it at 100% 7135 and then run it at like 2% FET with no 7135, and then swap back and forth every half-second, the color change is pretty obvious. Not that there’s any way to do that in the firmware it ships with, but I did an experiment a while back to see what would happen.

The light on the left is a constant 5000K for reference, while the light on the right is alternating current levels to shift the tint. I think it’s pretty neat, but for actual flashlights I make sure to hide this effect instead of emphasizing it like in the video.

Overzealous copy-paste, most likely. But it sure would be nice if Cree made a factory-dedomed version of the XP-G2! Last I checked, it’s still the best LED around for dedicated throwers, when dedomed.

I see that in the middle modes you’re running 7135 at full power and PWMing the FET….nice trick.

It works pretty well. It’s not a new trick though… basically every FET+1 and FET+N+1 driver since the BLF-A6 has done it that way. It looks better and it’s more efficient. Also makes it appear as if there isn’t any PWM.

It may have been around for a while, it’s just that nobody introduced us to each other.

7135 and FET. So are the low modes prior to the ramping blink 7135 and the modes above FET? Which side uses PWM? Just trying to understand. Not sure I completely follow these things, but learning. Thanks!

so when the FET is pwming the LED turns greener?