TK's Emisar D4 review

You could try and grip the bezel with a leather belt and twist. I have done this before.

a bit late now …

Thanks for the info. I wonder if I did something wrong? When I bought them from Banggood (6 months ago) I stored them with the rest of my batteries in a relatively cool place thinking that I could wait to charge them until I needed them. I guess that was too long to store them without charging them? What do you do with brand new batteries you’re not going to use for a while? Charge them immediately and keep them charged every couple months to make sure they don’t go dead?

What you did should have been perfectly ok. 30Q’s are known to self-discharge a bit faster than other brand batteries, but they should not go from 3.7V (what should be about the state in which you have received them) to 2V, more like 3.6 or 3.5V.

In general, li-ion cells self-discharge toward the lower middle side of their normal operating range. So, when full, they lose voltage. When empty, they tend to recover voltage.

For long-term storage, it’s recommended to keep them about half full. This preserves the capacity, mostly, while storing them empty or full reduces capacity over time.

Wouldn’t work. I needed a lever on both the bezel and the head. Jar opener was good enough for the head, but for the bezel I needed adjustable pliers. And they slipped.

That’s why when I receive cells, I test them as fully as I can. It doesn’t take me any time since it’s all done by the charger.

I’m still on the fence on this D4…
I would have bought it already if it had a CC driver.

We had a brief discussion about this, and we’re pretty much on the same page I believe. I have D4, and I can only recommend it. It’s perfection even without the specs that I would like on paper. What it does, it does brilliantly. It’s definitely a must have for 2017. :partying_face:

Btw TK, I don’t want ZL UI in my D4. I want D4 UI in my ZL. :slight_smile:

Yeah, it’s must have, i do agree…
But it would mean i have to look for a different driver, pushing the total cost to some $60 because i also want a 18350 tube.
I mean, PWM-ing 15 Amperes (with a fully charged cell) on 4 3535 LEDs rated around 2 Amperes each (8 Amperes total) is quite “uncivilised” i.m.o.
No wonder the thing gets hot crazy fast and discharges batteries even faster…
But i guess i could put in 4x Nichia 319A when they become available in high CRI (if ever…).
Hmmm… Too many ifs and don’ts for me man…
I’d rather buy it as a host, if that were possible.

This seems to have become “Thee” Emisar thread for all of BLF, so I feel justified to ask something here.

This sounds/looks like an amazing light, but I have a question for all the Emisar owners - have you found a way to attach a secure lanyard for the light? I really feel like a light of this size, especially with the 18350 tube, should have a lanyard attachment point. I was thinking about how this could replace my EC11 around my neck, but…how…?

One of these maybe: Solarforce Lanyard Ring
Or these: Solarforce Clip/Ring

A double Constrictor Knot could work well to use as a lanyard. I put a doubled one on the neck of my Zebralight headlamp with a right angle head o I could wear it around my neck and face forward. It’s got a lot of friction in there and with certain kinds of line, it’s very hard to get undone.

lol this light is an awesome battery discharger.

You probably shouldn’t get one. You wouldn’t like it. Only 65 of the 150 levels have constant current.

There are ways to do it, but they’re all DIY — clips with lanyard attachment points, wraps, knots, etc.

I would like it, apart form the driver, hence the fence…

The 65 steps from 0 to 1 Watt, right?

I was reading people’s enthusiasm in this topic and i thought ‘Yeah, i’ll get one too.’
But then i read on, things about the stupendously high current and burning pants and dramatic step down after 10 seconds…
It is a lovely looking little thing though.

Choices, choices ’ey? :disguised_face:

You don’t have to crank it up to max, it’s a remarkable light at lower levels too.

Just knowing it can outperform just about everything else in its size gives you a nice feeling.

It’s time for me to do some total internal reflection on the matter…

The D4 is like a 1/4 mile car. It can haul ass for ten seconds, and it still runs good at idle :wink: