TK's Emisar D4V2 review

Android flashing sounds cool but it requires an extra cable most people wont have then you have to download and find the .hex file on your phone.

I guess that is about the same difficulty as getting the drivers for usbasp working for whatever version of Windows you have.

Good to have options I guess

I am happy to help with the Mac instructions.

The Linux instructions are pretty simple as well, and there is some overlap. I could help here for Debian based distros. I think toykeeper had a summary on one of her posts that would be enough for most Linux users though.

I’ve been pretty slammed with some projects this week (I’m at the end of two construction projects and in the middle of an acquisition for one of my clients). I’m not sure when I could promise a complete guide, but in the next week or so should be doable.

F0xx wrote:

Your help would be appreciated. I will have my instructions up by this evening. I will reserve the first couple of replies in that thread for other contributions. I think we have plenty of time. When Hank makes the flash kits available - it will still be a week or two before people receive them.

Complying with the law? Which laws?

World’s 15 biggest ships create more pollution than all the cars in the World.
(The charm$ of variable geometry)

I think we simply have a little misunderstanding here, at least I hope so. I’ve never said that in this particular case it is impossible for bugs to slip through. On the contrary I put emphasis on the fact that there are a lot factors affecting the possibility of creating a bug free piece of software. But if the development process is organized in the right way and if we are speaking about programming something relatively simple like a flashlight it is normal to produce an almost bug free code at least without bugs of critical, major and minor level of severity. You may have your own opinion regarding the subject and that is great, but I can’t agree with something that goes against my knowledge and experience without a solid proof, sorry. I also doubt that a lot of people here will embrace the idea that it is inevitable and normal to have critical and major bugs in potentially dangerous device, and that is basically what you are implying.

It’s not like I am trying to spite you or anything like that, but this is the first time I am hearing about Steve McConnell. And looking through his biography I hardly can imagine why somebody would mention his name together with Bill Gates and Linus Torvalds. Above all, he is famous for his books and IT journalism, but I can’t find any accomplishments in his biography that are more or less comparable to what was done by Niklaus Wirth or Dennis Ritchie or Bjarne Stroustrup or Donald Knuth or Linus Torvalds or Bill Gates.

Who knew we had so many experts willing to help advance development of bug free and feature rich flashlight firmware?

Continue your great work and discussion in the flashlight firmware thread, and welcome to BLF! I look forward to all of your contributions.

+1 :+1:

+2

Please?

My flash kit instructions have been posted here:

https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/57807

Wow! This thread has blown up since I was last able to sit down and read. I’m sorry if I missed it, but is there a link for purchasing the kit? I also looked on Hank’s site and didn’t see it.

No link yet - for the flash kit. Soon, I think.

In the US, Title 40, Code of Federal Regulations, Parts 1027 through 1074.

The statistic you cite is relevant specifically to sulfur, which is nearly absent in gasoline and on-road diesel due to removal during the refining process.

The US isn’t able to regulate non-US flagged ships, except to a limited degree when they are in US waters as provided for by participation in the International Maritime Organization and related treaties. Now that there is widespread regulation of emissions for cars, which were a higher priority due to their persistent proximity to large numbers of people, there are efforts in work to also address ship emissions. The first major step actually happened in 2005 when the Maritime Pollution treaty Annex VI was signed, and will take effect in 2020.

That’s probably enough background for now on this tangent we both wandered off on.

I’ve never flashed anything before. Your instructions right now look a bit complex for me, but hopefully do able. Could you post a picture there showing the orientation of the pogo pins on the flashing pad of the light. Exactly, which pin goes where?

The orientation of the pins can only go one way - and still have all six pins match the six PCB pads. There are four flash pads in one row and two in the other. Trust me, when you receive the kit, you will see what I mean. Just have good lighting over the D4V2 head when aligning the pins to the pads.

Yes, it looks a bit complex at first. Some of it will be intuitive (and too much detail) for computer savvy folks. However, I wanted to make sure the instructions were detailed enough - that almost anyone could follow it.

Thank you so much for the information!

Joe

There is an old thread here on BLF that is all about salvaging good cells from laptop battery packs on ebay. One of the packs mentioned in that thread had 18500 cells. I didn’t have any lights that would take 18500 cells, but I got one of those packs anyway just because it was really cheap :smiley:
All the cells were in great condition and measured 1700mAh. I’ve had those cells in long term cold storage just waiting for the perfect light.
Now I have the perfect light.
My D4V2 with 18500 tube is the best light I own. So far. Ergonomics are perfect- very easy to locate the switch by feel, and the switch is large and has a nice click. I have the UI configure to always start in low, and long press to ramp up or down. Double click for max. At this moment, I have the aux LEDs set to monitor cell voltage, but I play with that setting a lot.
I still have 7 more of those 18500 cells looking for a good home, so I hope Hank makes more colors available for this light. My green D4S needs little brother.

I would be very worried about using laptop pack cells in a D4v2 - even brand new cells. The D4v2 just draws way too much power for me to feel comfortable with anything but high drain cells.

Hi, just a quick note… Sorry about the slow responses; I’m in the middle of moving, so I’ve been a little preoccupied with packing and boxes and such. I should have more time again in a few days.

Single-emitter lights that use FET drivers can take laptop cells; the voltage sag is enough to drop current to reasonable levels for low(ish) drain cells. But, yeah, quad-emitters are another issue. If you’re really going to use laptop cells, run it for a minute or so and then feel the battery. If it’s getting hot, definitely don’t use it. Even if it’s not hot, it may not be a good idea. Frankly, I’m surprised the D4 recommends any 18500 cells… are there any good high-drain ones?

OTOH, the D4 overheats so quickly that it might not suck high current out of a battery for very long. While cells don’t have official “burst” specs, they can usually take a high(ish) current for brief periods.

I use the Efest purple 1000mAh 18500. It has the best output I’ve seen with a quad arrangement and my Gold D4V2 with Samsung W6 emitters makes a little over 3000 lumens on this cell. Granted, a good 18650 shows 4820 lumens but I still prefer the size offered by the 18500.