TK's Emisar D4V2 review

I was about to write that your earlier report regarding the full-charged cell not triggering the problem was correct, but that it could happen with a fully-serviceable cell that was only partly discharged (so not just ‘nearly depleted’). You’ve confirmed that. Thanks.

You also confirm that the auto switch on can happen at full power or close to it and that the temperature regulation then seems not to work, so the light can seriously overheat. I agree this is dangerous.

Hank should immediately inform his customers, if not recalling the product.

Please forgive my ignorance about this muggle mode issue. Would it be an issue with the Lumintop FW3A light or any other light using Anduril?

Always wanted a muggle elimination mode

I doubt he will do a recall, it is not the Chinese way unfortunately.

Certainly all customers who ordered D4v2 should receive an urgent e-mail. Like right now, today.

No. Only the first batch of D4v2.

No other lights are affected.

If anyone has a pogo pin adapter for firmware updates, a fixed version is available.

Unfortunately there isn’t much information available on how to build such an adapter and how to do a firmware update.

Thanks

The link quoted above has all the info needed to make adapters… basically get some boards from Oshpark and some pins from elsewhere, and solder them together. But it would be really helpful if someone sold assembled adapters.

As for how to reflash, the info is at the Link in my signature. A short version is:

avrdude -c usbasp -p t1634 -u -Uflash:w:anduril.hex

It also helps to have a reference for the pin mappings, to figure out where each wire goes.

Someone sent me a PM, asking if reverse polarity protection was implemented on the D4V2. I replied "yes", it's listed as a feature.

Just to prove that, I installed the battery backwards. The light started heating up immediately.

Is there a diode on the PCB that's supposed to prevent this?

Can someone else check theirs to see if this is a common problem?

FWIW I told Hank I was going to buy the equipment for flashing but might need a hand assembling the BLF HQ key, or alternatively his suggestion of how to fix the problem. Response above.

So far I have ordered the programmer, the HQ key and some connectors, but haven’t yet figured out how to order the header to solder to the vias on the HQ key.

We understand your frustration, and we are deeply sorry for the situation.

As the maufactuer, I’m afraid we are not able to update the firmware for the D4V2 that you already have.

In the meantime, I think the D4V2 can not be called “dangerous” if you do not use the muggle mode,
or to disconnect the power when the light is not used, or kept in the bag.

Regards,
Hank

Thanks for your reply Hank.

I think Emisar should really step up and sell an "official" pre-assembled firmware flashing kit (needle electrodes + USB key) so we can all fix this ourselves.

This is what I suggested in email. Happy to buy it, no problem. Having all affected owners run around and try to find the parts individually is unfortunate. If Hank can’t do this, how about a group buy? I have no idea where to even start but I presume there’s some vendor out there who would want the money.

Bring them on.

Thanks for the suggestion, we plan to do so. The hard part is how to solder all those needles into the right place and height, and it is not one or two pieces, that is why we have not supplied it so far.
However, there is also the problem that not everyone is skilled to reflash the firmware even if they have the kits.

And you will notify all appropriate customers who don't hang out at BLF?

…or at maybe post a complete, clear cut instruction set with pictures, wiring/soldering diagram…what works with what torch…what doesn’t…links to buy the parts…or at least precise names/numbers of parts…etc…

Hoop’s flashing post and TK’s advice got me flashing chips and via’s without much problem and just the right amount of tinkering and figuring stuff out on my own to feel like i taught myself a neat new skill.

Was like cramming for a test with cheat sheets, then getting an A+ for the successful flashing!

Hank - this is great news. Maybe there is a supplier near you prepared to do the fiddly work?

The flashing part is not for beginners, but should be simpler to instruct than sourcing and assembling the flashing hardware.

Fine for those reading here or in TLF. Bad luck for those who don’t. That’s why I think mailing a word of warning is in order.