TK's Emisar D4V2 review

I have parts on the way, gotta prove it out first but yeah, I’ll be here to help where I can. . .

Thanks Dale. Maybe you’ll get the USA contract. It sucks that this was my edc since the day i got it. It even helped me out of a jam a few days ago with the power outage. The hunt for the perfect edc continues…

Sorry, quite busy…

Could you tell me how do you perform your firmware testing?

No good could come from answering this in this thread.
Reminds me of a Monty Python skit about the Spanish Inquisition.

Wish you would have waited I have 6 blank boards from OSHpark sitting at home waiting on pins, of which I will have too many also (when they arrive)

Yeah C, they come 100 to a bag right? Geesh, but hey it gives us room for playing around! Lol my boards are in fab, no telling when the pins will show, may still need to liberate some of yours to a slightly more Northern latitude… :wink:

Based on dimensions I saw HERE, I ordered some of the test pins on Amazon HERE - received them a few days ago (100 to a bag).

Edit UPDATE: Just got shipping notice from OHS PARK (Prog-Key pcb)

Yeah, the voltage under load can be very different than resting voltage. The battery sags and then recovers.

This is also why voltage thresholds in high aux mode are different than voltage thresholds in low aux mode. The battery actually measures different voltages depending on whether it’s supplying 3 mA or 0.03 mA… and the controller doesn’t have a way to correct for this. So it’ll change colors sooner on high mode.

Great read TK. Now i need to catch up with the comments

It’s probably better not to. There was drama.

Long story short: If your light shipped before 2019-07-19 and has a muggle mode, don’t use muggle mode. Firmware flashing kits are being made, since it’s the most practical way to update lights from that batch, and details should be published soon.

I found this forum and then sort of dropped out around 8 years ago as I had filled all of my luminary needs with Jetbeam, Surefire, Nitecore, Fenix, Novatac and HDS. 250 lumens was about my peak. :smiley: Recently being unable to locate either of my Novatacs in any of the usual suspect locations, I began torch shopping again. I found that CPF is dead and BLF is hot!

I’ve been doing a lot of forum reading the last couple of weeks. I’ve purchased an Olight bundle with a S1R II & I1R, a free I3E, purchased two Lumenfactory dropins for my previously retired E2Es and now have a Reylight Pineapple and FW3A on the way.

I mention all of that as an introductions to say “thank you,” TK for the wonderful work you’ve been providing the community in terms of firmware development. TK: Illegitimi non carborundum.

Once the D4V2 shows “in-stock” again at MTN, I eagerly plan to order one.

I ended up getting a plain glass lens from esslinger.com and measured the difference in tint. The Duv went down by .001 almost exactly for my SST-20 4000K light.

So the lower modes went from Duv 0.005 to 0.004

Yeah, funny story… about a month ago someone started a thread on CPF, something like “what makes CPF work?” My post said I don’t think it is working, because nothing interesting was going on there but over here on BLF there was plenty of excitement and interesting projects.
Next day, that thread was totally g o n e . . . . :smiley:

It actually started becoming desolate back in 10/17, after the hurricanes.

I actually noticed the lack of new flashlight reviews in the ‘review section’ and soon other forums started to be barren.

I don’t think it was the software glitches, as those were mostly a matter of a few seconds to load the pages.

Kind of sad.

Chris

It’s because no one likes over moderation & arrogance .
That’s why it doesn’t work. Imo.

I don't see an address on the OSH PARK website - but in looking at USPS tracking - I could have driven over there this afternoon to pick up my order.

Hello ToyKeeper, did you see my question? Do you have a little bit of time to answer it?

I really spent few hours to read all the comments related to that flashlight model, but I couldn’t find any answer… Thanks

Let’s not bash CPF though. It’s a great resource. It seems to be less populated these days, but as far as I can tell that was mostly a migration to Facebook. And Facebook makes things intentionally ephemeral. It may be technically possible to find old posts there, but it’s so difficult and awkward that in practice it rarely ever happens. It also is particularly bad at facilitating conversations longer than a couple days.

So I find it to be very unfortunate that a great resource has faded so much in favor of one which is arguably not very good. I mean, Facebook definitely serves some purposes, but it’s not really a resource in the same manner as any of the independent enthusiast forums. Facebook is a completely different kind of place which generally lacks depth… and it’s getting intentionally being pushed into ever-shallower waters as the company strives to reduce permanence.

I think bansuri had a pretty good take on it:

But there’s one bit I feel I should answer:

An answer to the original question is not the sort of thing which can really be done in a little bit of time. I like to think I’m pretty good at explaining things, but I doubt I can condense a large portion of my job into a forum post. It would be a bit like trying to summarize a book in just one line.

For example:

• Gift of the Magi: A husband and wife forget to register their gift preferences.
  • Lord of the Rings: Some guys take a long vacation to throw a ring into a volcano.
  • Gone With The Wind: A woman only likes men she can’t have and the South gets trashed.
  • Moby Dick: Don’t mess around with large whales because they symbolize nature and will kill you.
  • A Tale of Two Cities: A man in love with a girl who loves another man who looks just like him has his head chopped off in France because of a mean lady who knits.
  • The Odyssey: After working late, a valiant warrior gets lost on his way home.

Most of the time, things are not simple… even if it seems like they should be.

Aw man! I was gonna read Odyssey and now it’s totally ruined!

:slight_smile: