TN31/K40 Melted Springs

Hi all,

Has anyone else experienced the battery carrier springs overheating and not returning to their full length after being compressed?

I first noticed this with my modded K40 with a solder bridged sense resistor. After some fiddling, I concluded that it was the driver pulling a lot of current from the cells when the cells are nearly depleted to supply constant current to the LED. I put solder braid on the three battery carrier springs and no issues since then.

This also happened to a modded TN31, no surprise there. The springs had melted and the batteries were rattling around because the springs were not exerting any pressure on them.

I did a quick search but no one seemed to have this issue?

You mean the springs have compressed, collapsed or sagged due to heat. Not actually melted. That would be scary…

Been hearing vinh is now wiring up the battery carrier springs - maybe this is why. Those drivers are pretty incredible. Also, I believe if you copper braid/wire the springs, the cells will last longer - there seems to be a big difference between the power sucked from the cells, and power actually provided to the LED when the resistors are bridged.

Haha yes, that’s what I meant. :slight_smile:

I see, thanks for the info.
I simulated a drained cell under sag 3.5V x 3 = 10.5V and the modded driver was pulling a scary amount of current, and I remember the springs heating up significantly. It would be nice to have some of those magical copper beryllium springs without the need for copper braiding.

Please refer to:

reply item #11

I’ve had softened springs in a different light. I don’t know what level of amps it seems to kick in but either way you lose energy from heating up the spring.

I have seen springs glow like an incandescent filament - in a working setup, not something that accidentally got shorted. 5x XREs in parallel direct driven by 8.4v...

Spring steel is great for resistance and of course, the more power you try to punch through it, the hotter it gets. Yep, I have seen them get hot, turn red, turn black and loose all their spring tension. Copper braid is about the only easy answer we have.