Too Ugly, Cheap, Orange Ano -- you have to buy ...

yep, i have that same crappy 14500-only light (in a SmallSun moniker) thats difficult to mod at all, has parasitic drain, bulky for a AA light, not very bright, crappy modes, un-safe built in charge port, ugly, waste-of aluminum, etc.

Throw is very good for a light this size. It’s almost full dark here, and I was able to light the top of a high-tension tower that’s about 100 yards behind my home. Not like a real thrower — the Couroi D01, Acebeam X-40 and Yezl Y3 do a better job — but if someone had been up there I’d have seen ’em. Throw was better than the Small Sun, even though the lights are the same length, because the reflector on the “Tactical” is deeper.

Thanks for the report JeffN. I like the look of this light. I gave my one compact 18650 side switch light to a forum member. So I'm glad I have one of these on the way. Star Momentary and bigger emitter should make it a nice replacement.

If it’s the one where you have to go H>L>STROBE>OFF there is no way to get rid of those as the strobe is part of the mode rotation…if it was a clicky, you could pencil lead/resistor mod the capacitor (~330K Ω for approx 5 sec reset to default mode H in this case)

I hate strobe mode in the mode rotation just to turn it off…bleh

I always find multiplying the Chilumen rating by .3 to give a fair real work approximation

You would have to put momentary firmware on the MCU…plus the switch is soldered on at 90 degrees

more or less unless you build a complete custom driver from scratch…you are stuck with the stock mode rotation :frowning:

^ 105 should work with any typical 3 volt LED. It will burn off the excess voltage.

WarHawk, just strip the components off the stock driver and piggy back another driver. Here's an example done by CK in a real tight pill. It had a charger port too.

there is its :wink: I KNEW someone did it before I just didn’t know where to reference it too…thanks!!!

FastTech appear to have the same lights on offer at $5.50 with a crappy battery and charger.

I can’t seem to do a direct link, you have to enter 6180 in the keyword search.

Sure looks like the same light, but if it is, it’s the first time I’ve seen the output on a Chinese light >underrated<. Mine compare to other lights known to be around 500 lumens, unless the deeper reflectors and smaller emitters are focusing the beams so they look brighter than they actually are. Very little spill/flood. I’ll agree with the 100 meter beam range.

I asked both Ebay sellers why the lights didn’t have XM-L2s — both said, in effect, these are the latest versions of the light and asked if I liked it.

^ You have to purchase from the page linked above by clicking on "Add offer to cart". If you purchase from the product page, the normal price will be charged.

Not sure I helped, but you're welcome buddy. What color did you buy?

I ordered two of these from eBay, they're black though! I kinda wish I had got one black one orange. my first initial impression was that they are mediocre at best. The threads are sort of rough cut, the aluminum that holds the pill or board in doesn't have holes to remove it, but they really aren't too bad. The reflector seems like it wants to throw more than flood, and they're certainly brighter than I expected them to be! One of them the switch is finicky, I have to push it twice or push it a direction, it's probably loose inside or something?! They should work well for a gift and a modded light.

Agree with everything you posted, mine just arrived (Black model) and the switch can sometimes need to be double tapped but the sucker is Bright and with the Cold tint it cuts through other comparable lights beam with ease.
Checked amperage and it was at 1.25 on high with average battery, so not bad stock, will try braiding the driver spring tomorrow and see what that yields.

The strobe is pure Seizure material. Might actually slow someone down from coming right at you:)
It has some dust on the inside of the lens, but lens is very clear glass. The green oring seems to cause a slight purple outside ring when on a white wall up close, but no big deal in actual normal use.
For $6.99 it’s a good deal and it came in only 10 days!
Later,
Keith

very interested in your braiding results! I wish we knew what emitter that is. I'll probably order a FET driver with guppydrv firmware and see how hard the stock LED can be pushed lol... Swap it with a xpg2 if it blows. Really want to see the throw at night lol it might be worth it's weight yet!

I finally got my orange/brown light. Yep, it is a cheapo — has the Fasttech like Samsung LED. It probably does 400 or so lumens, not too bad, seen worse.

I just picked one up but mainly for the reflector. I love making little pocket throwers. This will go in a box that I have of lights that need to be modded. One of these days I’ll get caught up on mods for other people and get back to work on my own. LOL

I prefer morphine… Sino-specs make my noggin throb…

I fixed my switch, the retainer ring was loose. I drilled a couple holes in it, think I used an 1/8" drill bit?!? and took the driver out and put it back in, making sure it was snug, and the switch works fine now. I really like these lights, one of the ones I have had been a serious contender for my pocket light for the last couple days. The slimmer shaft head down feels pretty good in my pocket.

If if you guys were going to mod this light what would you do? The reflector is one of the best throwing small reflectors I know of. I was thinking a 17mm FET driver with an xpg2?

Braid didn’t bring amps up a lot, went to 1.34.
Thing is still impressive, may have to get the ugly brown one now:)

Later.
Keith

When this thing came out of the padded envelope my first thought was 18sixfifty will have a field day with these!
Just as he did with the 14500 model.
I still have 2 of your modded ones, one with a Nichia and the other with an XPG. Both neat lights and not for sale :slight_smile:

Put me down for 2 if you make some more for sale.

Later,
Keith