Top 3 (ACTUAL USED!) flashlights of 2016

1. Nitecore Tube
2. Olight S2
3. Convoy L6
My EDC set :slight_smile:

*Skilhunt h03 use it everyday as bikelight, worklight or whenever I need both hands free. It s ggotta be the best headlamp i ever came across. Most people here use petzl kind of lights(3 x aaa) but they really suck when using NiMH cells and they just cost as much or even more than the h03.Last one i picked up for about $24 in a flash sale.
*Lumintop cu tool is in my pocket evryday unless i forget it. Very handy for quick illumination in tight spots and the nichia makes the colors pop-out. Some might find the copper to heavy but I kinda like the extra weight, I always know in which pocket it is.
*Nitecore mh20: mostly used for sealingbouncing or scaring of wankers that try to dump their trash in our front yard at night. Works every time, just open up a window, long press and bam. No need to put on shoes or clothes.

So many to choose from!

1. On The Road M3 - just a perfect torch in my eyes. Cheap, robust, very bright and most importantly it is tiny.

2. Convoy C8 - great size for walking with, and love the neutral tint on it.

3. Nightfighter BT40S - great for mountain biking through woodland at night. Very cheap but still well made.

1 = EDC = just a humble 501B, slightly modified to on/off.
2 = Dog walking at night = Convoy L2, single 26650 direct drive to an XP G2 (dome on).
3 = To annoy people = TN42, stock! (ok late 2016)

I can be easily pleased at times……

Here are the flashlights that I used more in 2016:
The first is a Favour FLT43CL, the use with 16650, at home and around the house.
The second is the Trustfire R5-A3, always in my pocket
The third is an economic headlight, I removed the zoom, and is now flood.

1. Manker U11 (modded with XP-G3 S5 3D) - used for anything in the garage, shed, and for dealing with the guinea pigs
  1. Nitecore TIP - on my key chain and gets used lots
  1. Still my Nitecore D40A (modded with an XP-L HD V6 3D) - used as an “area lamp” with a diffuser over it, and it goes camping with me every year a couple of times… Might stick an XP-L2 in there once I see tints such as 3D at the V6/W2 level.

And my runner up is my Olight S2… Small, coat pocketable, and has a great TIR beam for walking paths - used regularly for going out and about with the mrs - to carol singing, parties at houses across the village etc….

Cant wait to see if this changes for 2017!

My most common daily use

1. zebralight sc600 mkii

2. skilhunt H03 for running on trails and road early in morning

3. EDC my Fenix E15 2016 edition.

1. Jetbeam Jet II MK
2. Fenix CL25R camp lantern
3. Zebralight H600Fd MK III

Thanks Garry. I’ve just been in quiet lurk mode the last ~4 years. The 4Sevens and zebralight headlamp have been spot-on for me, and I really didn’t see any reason to replace them. That was 2016…

This is 2017!!! The Manker and Utorch are awesome little EDC lights. The TG06 and (incoming) UF-1504 will be getting XP-L HI V3 emitters.

x2… for me a good headlamp is a MUST. As a parent scout leader for my sons troop, I will pack a headlamp before any hand held form. Its no fun setting up your tent in the dark hindered with a cigar, armpit or teeth-bite hold. Even just doing stuff around the house. Wearing a floody headlamp loosely around my neck is way more practical than a hand held light.

I would encourage any noob on a budget to invest in a HL first. Particularly convertible designs that can go both ways like zebralight, Rofis or skillhunt

For me in order of amount of time used it would be

1) Convoy L5 with xml2 u3 2c
2) Nitecore ea41w
3) Convoy s2 with DrJones lucidrv 105c and xml2 u3 3d

The list would be reversed for recent frequency of use but I assembled the s2 less than 2 months ago so it has been used less than the others.

The lights I use the most?

Used to be:

1. Pink Xtar WK50 that I got from XtarDirect for like $7. Front pocket beater light, great for getting rid of loose AA’s from the junk drawer.
  1. NiteCore HC30 for hands free missions.
  1. Manker/Godmes T01, compact pocket throw.

I typically carry all 3 and then some.

Recently, I acquired a new headlamp strap which allows me to use stick lights hands free, so HC30 is now in the pack and either Nitecore MT10a or UTorch UT01 have replaced it. Love this new strap:

Yeah, makes me look like a geek, but I’d rather be a geek with a headlamp than a super cool dude in the dark.

Oh, btw, someone is selling that head strap on eBay for $1.76 delivered. Gonna order a few more. LINK

Last note: My BLF A6 with short tube and IMR 18350 always shooting sub-lumens to the ceiling from my bedside table when it’s dark.

Yeah there you go, €2 on AliExpress and one can use all 18650 flashlights so who needs dedicated headlamps

I’ve seen that on Convoy’s AE store. Now I’m dying to get one of these along with my first S2+.

Untill u got a dedicated one on your head and notice how nice it is to easely adjust the lamp up and down with one hand. The strap will work but i still prefer a headlamp, so much user friendly. Can’t live without one anymore

Totally agree. I bought about 3 different head straps to “convert” regular lights into headlamps and it was always “not IT”. Flashlights were too heavy, not centered (unless you have it on the top of your head) and beam was aiming too high.

With a dedicated headlamp all was changed…I also love to use my H15 with the clip and attach it to the messenger bag or jacket - it is lighting up my road really nice.

The lights are put in 1 or 2 smaller straps and thus can be adjusted by pulling a light forwards, the center one will then be pointing more down (I now have the On The Road i3 xoomie there but in flood I do not need to adjust it anyways :wink:

1) Nitecore Tube
2) Olight S15R
3) Brinyte B158

Yup. Totally agree.

Prior to using the strap I posted, I’ve used a lot of different dedicated headlamps. In the right angle design, I have a Nitecore HC30, Skilhunt H15, Fenix HL10 (2016), Xtar H2, Maratac TPF AAA, etc… Also have the convertibles similar to the new Rofis like the Klarus AR10, Thrunite TN20, which IMO do not work well in a strap. The reflector module adds a lot of weight to the front and makes the light want to point downwards, and it’s totally out of the question if you are active. I’ve also got quite a few purely dedicated headlamps, a few Petzl’s, Princetons, many off-the-shelf models, Rayovac single AA, 3AAA models, models with separate battery packs, etc… I used to carry a dedicated headlamp, then I started carrying right angle lights with a strap, which I might add is my second favorite method. The reason that I recently switched to the 3 band strap is it’s more flexible and allows me to get the same thing done (in my case with no real compromise) with less. Now all I need to carry are 2 lights. Both are what I’d call light-tactical with quick access to strobe and magnets heatshrunk to their clips. One is more floody, the other more a thrower. Used to carry 18650 but now have settled on AA/14500 for EDC because it’s lighter, easier to find readily available spare cells and runs long enough for me to reach my pack, where bigger lights reside. The two I’ve selected for these roles are the Manker T01 and Utorch UT01, but they could just as easily be Klarus Mi7, Nitecore MT10a or any of a myriad of capable AA/14500 lights.

Bottom line is, this is what works for me, the person that I know best.

1. Zebralight H502d
2. Convoy C8 with FET driver and dedomed XM-L
3. KRONOS X5