Torch for an elderly person?

Very good point . . . unfortunately one my wife has resisted for many years. :open_mouth:

On your earlier post, it’s true that a given chronological age (not all that far behind you) can mean different things for different people. But we’ve found some things were were able to plan before my wife’s mother’s significant memory loss were difficult but wise advice from her doctor to make before she got to her present state over the last few years.

So if one is lucky enough like you to have all their faculties now, it can still be an opportunity to plan for the inevitability of continued aging. Best to improve or forestall problems but paying new/more attention now to plans and daily habits for exercise/body conditioning, weight, eye and body health, memory loss, safety/security, legal arrangements, financial savings, etc.

Age numbers can be used to help us think about our To Do lists and adjust the priorities as one’s own wisdom may suggest. I guess I’m inferring that the OP had the goal of helping his mother with this in mind.

:cry:
Body that hurts all over the totally worn-out my Temple from G-d.
I have a 3 year old grandson We love each other and we both cryout when we have to leave each other!
Now that is the Proof the writer has the mind of a much longer person like my loved grandson we both have the mind or a 3 year old and mine is certified by the Unites States Veteran Hospital San Antonio Texas. Wish could laugh about it, butt that brings another subject fell backwards when trying to stand from seated hit the head on concrete and butt on the same driveway head no problem but broken! LOL

Nope, 5 year old.Tongue Out

It's different for everyone. I've seen people in their fifties that have had so many health problems, they might as well be dead and people in their 70's that still run 5 miles every day. There is No human standard.

I think a side switch is easier to operate, for most anyone, regardless of age and would recommend a side switch light.

What Johnny Mac said is on the money.His theory Works if your nackered or not.A headlamp may also work,handsfree sorta for when your putting the bins out[garbidge] .The slippers with lights on are proper funny and i WANT SOME

DON…

A one mode P60 type of light that took CR123’s is what I got for my ex-girlfriend’s 85 year old mother who is active around the house but doesn’t see as well as she once did.

The kids tried giving her many lights from the local stores and none were bright enough to her (they were 2D incands). Now she loves the light I bought her and can’t stop talking about it.

It was just a XR-E but one mode, well driven and focused on what she is tried to do…sew or find something.

It’s not too big and it’s not too small. Her kids are willing to buy the CR123’s for her. No modes makes it easy. She has some arthritis issues as well.

gcbryan, What host did you use for this gift, and what P60 if you recall? I’m need to find out if there’s side switch P60 hosts…

Aloha Rex! I buy a bunch of torches similar to this 3W Police LED Flashlight for my father who is 82 and has Parkinson's disease. He drops and breaks them all the time so the cheaper the flashlight the better. They are single AA with just 1 mode and not too bright which works best for my father. He uses them at night to drink water or take his meds. There are similar AAA single mode lights but they are just a bit too small for him. They usually are black in color but I put bright colored or reflective tape around them to help him see it. You can also buy some glow in the dark tape that should work very well.

I also have several of those tap night lights (I have AA and AAA tap lights) strategically situated around my father's room and surrounding area. They are very easy for him to use (tap on--tap off) and are there in case he drops, breaks or forgets his flashlights.

Hope this helps.

If you’re going to get the sk68 or most any budget AA, expect to use nihm’s because most of these tend to draw close to 2A which kills alkalines dead in minutes.

The only budget light I know which has low draw and high performance on alkalines is the tank 556 1-mode with 2AA extension.

One of the Energizer “Hard Case” models wouldn’t be a bad choice -

(Model TUF2A11 shown)

Brightly colored and big enough not to lose, simple to operate, tolerates frequent drops, decent battery life, can be lanyard-secured…

Welcome to the BLF, Skibane. You will find plenty of your fellow Texans here.

Most old people are unable to learn new tech. Anything more than pushing a button is beyond them. Even changing batteries is too complex for anyone over 65. I suggest a penlight. The kind that is disposable with the battery compartment sealed is best. Also, they are not that bright so the oldies won’t hurt themselves by staring into the light like they enjoy doing.

I hope you have fun here, Skibane!

Would not the recommendation be; ten BLF delights?
Lennart

my parents (72 and 78) love the old solarforce L2r with its smooth stainless bezel, the low-voltage XP-G one-mode, and its gold/tan ano. I visit at least once a week, and while I am there (trying to educe recipes from me mum) take care of the eneloops. Next to the front door, there is a 3D maglite on the wall with a generic LED, powered by three AA lithium cells I gave them about ten years ago, and just a week ago, they both received new keychain lights from me - DQG AAA stainless, fitted with AAA lithiums.

Btw, while my father just starts to have little problems with modern things (including taking care for other cars, stop lights and traffic signs when driving - he now may only drive when my mother rides shotgun, like a driving lessons teacher), my mother holds him on the proverbial short leash. Forces him to use his cellphone, and demands him to use his WIN7 laptop computer regularly. So, Speedsix, I can hear you well - just, not all elderly people are handicapped the same.

My grandmother, in her nineties, was suffering from severe dementia through her last years. People in her condition need another person around them to take care 24/7, not a flashlight. Although it had been a burden, often, we were lucky to keep her at home, clean and safe and cared for, with all the seemingly silly, yet important things surrounding her she accumulated over a lifetime; until three weeks before she left this world. May she rest in peace. A torch would be the last thing I am thinking of when thinking of her.

Thrunite Ti's in green gold red and blue and sipik 68's in the same colors