TR-J18 head disassembly?

I have heard rumors that the J18 head is a 2-piece deal, any tips on how to get the #&^% thing apart? I have tried thwacking with a screwdriver handle and then clamping in a vise and using a big strap wrench, but no luck. Is it glued, or just reeeeally tight?

picture go to review

Erm... no, not that part. The head supposedly comes apart somewhere in the middle, between the emitter shelf and the driver flange. If you have one and look at the internal shape of the driver cavity it's clear there's no way to machine that with the head in one piece. The front half is machined, the rear half is machined, they they get put together.

The TR-J12 I modded with an MTG and four XMLs was the same. I wanted to get it apart to add extra heat sinking, but there was no way it was coming apart. I looked at every J12 breakdown thread I could find and none of them had that section of the head apart.

Yeah smack dat.

It sounds like they wanted to make it look like one piece, and may have used loctite or some kind of cement to lock them together permanently.

On the outside the join is hidden VERY well, down between the fins. I can't find it on the outside. Inside is different, I can see and feel it down in there, the female thread is in the front section & male thread on the smaller rear section.

Is it the same as the TR-9TX6? I took one of the apart recently, took heat, lots and lots of heat.