Trade with China due for a correction.....

If I can put this in rather cruel perspective… :smiley:

Think of it as evolution. If a species can’t adapt to changes in its local environment, they’ll start to die out, and be replaced with a new dominant species. Evolution makes sure that the strongest and most resilient species survives. Others, weaker species, will die out. That’s the cruel reality.

Artificially propping up a dying species just makes it worse. It diverts resources from those species which can survive.

Eg, today, humans are “living” with debilitating diseases and ailments which would have killed them off just decades before. Billions of bux are being spent “maintaining” peoples’ lives, and humans as a whole are devolving. (Don’t throw in moralistic judgments, as that’s not the point I’m trying to make.)

Similarly, handouts, subsidies, protections, incentives, etc., are being given to inefficient industries to “save jobs” and the like. They’re propping up buggy-whip factories because it’s “wrong” to let all those workers in that industry be without jobs. So instead of learning a new trade, say, on car assembly lines, they’re still manufacturing buggy-whips. More, they’re making sure cars can’t displace horse-drawn buggies for much longer than would otherwise happen.

Eg, if auto mfr A eschews union labor, can make cars just as good as mfr B, but can offer cars at lower prices because it uses non-union labor, let it. No one says you have to make 40bux/hr on an assembly line. And if conditions at the factory really suck, people are perfectly free to find work elsewhere and leave that factory empty, so that it can’t build any more cars. If “scabs” are willing to take the jobs and work in a crappy environment, they have that right, too. Freedom works both ways. As long as force and/or fraud are not used, people should be free to contract with each other. (And I say this coming from an industry where companies used to have a very strong upper-hand, making us (or trying to) sign away all our rights and protections. I know firsthand how it sucks, but I also had the freedom to freelance on my own, and set my own conditions.)

So for true progress, ie, better goods at cheaper prices, we do need “evolution” to weed out weak industries and manufacturers, no matter how much it hurts.

Btw, love the car2n comparing Lada and BMW. :smiley: