Triple Nichia 219C Lumens Output

Happy Saturday fellow members. Hey I just did a conversion for my Lumintop EDC18 from XP-L HI to Nichia 219C 4000K. The XP-L HI give out around 2800 lumens. What can I expect the lumens to be around now? Does around 2000 lumens sound right for my Nichia now?

It will be less than 2000. Depending on the cell of course. 1700 to 1800 I reckon.

Hey thanks for the numbers. 1700-1800 is okay for me. It’s my main EDC and I really like the look of the beam coming out of 10507 lens. I’m using the LG HG2. Perhaps you heard of them? :smiley:

How is the colour /tint compared to xlp hi

I’ve a fe3a as my edc and I love the 5000k

Is it worth me doing a mod like this

I think a tad above 2000 lumens before light loss it should be doing around 10-11 amps maybe.

Is 10 amps more than enough you think?

i use samsung 20q 20Amp batterys in my fw3a
and fw1a pro

i happy with them

Depending on the current draw, Do you know the max current?
My S2+ with 2,8A biscotti driver does a lot more lumens with XPLHI vs my Nichia builds.
The Nichia does about 900 and the XPL-HI around 1400 Lm

Yeah the Nichia 4000K tint I'm loving vs the old XP-L HI 5000K tinit which I also liked btw. I've been using the 5000K for a few weeks and it's just right for me when out and about. Not too bluish and not too yellowish. I only got a shot of the 5000K but I'll take same shot at 4000K tonight and post back here.

EDC18 XP-L HI 5000K

I went to 4000K because with the carclo lens, it's got good throw now. I especially like the large hotspot it gives. Also color rendition at night indoors is just right being warm and pleasant to the eyes.

As for current draw, man I think I'm doing it right but I got following...

3.9v=3.3A? Does that sound right?? I thought I should get 15 A or something?

Current draw measurement depends on the used tools, did you use a DMM or a clampmeter?
A DMM typically has more internal resistance and will have a lower reading.
I think it does more like 7-8 A. (A typical xplhi does about 1000Lm at 3A)
The 219C is a little less efficient and will do a couple of hundred less, so if the triple xpl did around 2800, the triple 219c will do roughly 2500

I measured on my T/A maukka calibrated tube 1790lm at turn on running a 30Q

I used a DMM measuring the tailcap way. Does 3.3A with battery at 3.9V sound okay? That's what I measured at turbo.

I got some more beamshots.

EDC18 XP-L HI 5000K

EDC18 Nichia 219C 4000K

S2+ Host SST-20 2700K

For such nichia forward current max is 1800ma, so if we use high drain battery for such tripple we are going to kill led quickly.

More, the termal value of such leds overheat edc18 quite fast, so it is not usable power.

Edc18 with sst20/4000 drain about 6.5A on fully charged 35e, and this is enough to overheat flashlight for steps down in very little time, so i can.t imagine, how fast overheat edc18 with Q30.

Yeah 1700 to 2400 is okay with me. Using it as my main edc and more than enough light for what I need. I’m using an LG HG2 battery in the EDC18. Funny thing is before I put in better pc thermal paste, turbo didn’t feel all that hot or anything. It was warm and steady at that. After putting in quality pc thermal paste, I can for sure feel it getting warmer to hot and quicker. I think the paste is moving the heat to the host quicker and more efficient.
I knew the flashlight would get warmer and/or hot quicker because of battery and smaller flashlight head so I not really that concerned because I’m expecting it depending on ambient temperatures. So far I’ve adjusted to the heat when using the light so it’s not really a biggie for me.

Did you use the stock DMM leads? They have super high resistance you are better of using short thick wires instead.

Yes I used the DMM ones but I’ll try out shorter thicker wires. Thanks for the heads up. :slight_smile: