Triple XPG vs Single XML

I’m new to flashlights and from reading around I noticed there are a lot of triple XPG builds. My question is what are some main differences between using 3 XPGs vs 1 XML, pro/cons of each?

In my expierence a triple XP-G will be slightly brighter but other than that the XM-L is superior (and cheaper).

I’ve had both and prefer the single XML for cost reasons, especially in a P60 form factor.

Thanks for the quick responses. I was looking at p60 builds as I probably will build more in the future. I’ll stick with XMLs for now.

Just wondering, what are the PROs for the triple XPG besides being a little brighter?

If looking for a floody application, triple XP-Gs can beat a diffused single XM-L in lumen output.

I think 3 XPGs have the potential to consume more power than a single XML.

They look cooler. It's easier to find high CRI XPG than high CRI XML if you're into high CRI. I think that's about it.

I think the biggest "con" of a triple XPG P60 build is the cost and difficulty of the build. Three XPG costs about twice as much as a single comparable XML. And a triple build requires either a heavily modified pill or a custom made pill, and those take a lot of time to make yourself or a good chunk of change from a custom builder.

Compare that to a single XML drop-in which can be made for $12 worth of off-the-shelf parts and 8 little dabs of solder.

Why not a triple XML??

Seriously though, true for all the reasons above. I have built triple and quad XPGs, and single XMLs. My experience is the following:

3 x XPG

higher power consumption (3.25V @ 1.5A x 3 = 14.6 watts)

floodier beam

more difficult to build (battery configuration/driver/wiring)

higher cost to build (3 x emitters and reflectors/optics)

requires larger heat sinking

lower drive current (1.5A max)

greater total output (R5 bin @ 1.5A = 463L x 3 = 1389L)

1 x XML

lower total power consumption (3.35V @ 3A = 10.05 watts)

tighter beam, but depends on size of reflector

easier to build

easily P60 adaptable

higher drive current (3.0A max)

lower total output (T6 bin @ 3A ~900L)

Beam shots comparing a quad XPG R4 driven at 1.5A per LED and single XML (SR STL-V2)

4 x XPG R4 (5000K) SR STL-V2 (XML T6)

I’ve recently built three triple XP-Gs and have a triple Nichia in the works. For me, they’re more fun/challenging to build because you have to figure out how to make the heatsink. And while a 3 amp driver is easy to find and will do fine with an XM-L finding a 4.5-6.0 amp driver to properly drive a triple is more difficult.

Comparing my 5.3 amp triple XP-G2 to my E-1320 3.5 amp XM-L is like apples to oranges. They’re similar tints, the triple has a Carlco, tight, clear optic, and the XM-L an OP reflector.

Against a wall the triple has a huge, even hot spot and no spill at all. The XM-L has the usual, large hot spot with a smooth but distinct transition to plenty of spill. The triples hot spot is slightly dimmer than the XM-L but 3 or 4 times the diameter.

Outdoors, the triple is fantastic out to about 50 feet, it just lights up eveything evenly. Looking much farther than that, like in an open field or down a wooded trail I miss the single emiter spot. Everything up close is so well lit, farther down-field appears dark. It will throw fairly well but it’s done with sheer lumens opposed to great focus.
Eriks XM-L does a great job at the longer distances within the confines of a P60 XM-L. The spill does a great job illuminating closer objects but doesn’t overpower objects farther away.

I don’t have any way to measure but I’d lay money down that the triple is more lumens, the XM-L more Lux.
The XM-L is more efficient and produces less heat.
The triple is cooler to look at.

Making these has showed me that in practical use or cost, you just can’t beat a good XM-L. For fun though, I’m glad I have my triples!

Edit: I just had to add a picture (just finished this one last weekend).

This forum is amazing. I’ve been a part of many other forums for my other hobbies (airsoft, RC, etc.) and you guys provide the quickest, most informative responses. Thanks!

Looks like I’ll stick with XML for awhile until I feel up for the challenge or just want something different.

Cant go wrong with a overdriven XML. Triple’s and Quads is a different chapter.
Itinifni more or less articulated some of the differences. Only thing i can add
is 2000+ lumen triples are now making there way into to P60 drop-in’s with the XPG2.
Soon, very very soon XPG2 Quads should bump the output way up…

Good thread! Thanks for the pictures.

XM-L triples are also being made by a few people. :evil: