Triple XPG2 driver question?

it will be this one, and i am unsure if ill need those copper jumpers…
http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=60_62&product_id=82

Don’t need the copper jumpers but will need to solder bridge certain pads with something. Wire works too.

it’s much tamer than FET/DD since it’s running at 3a (1a per emitter on the triple), but will still run a bit too hot for the small convoy hosts. I made a triple XP-G2 S3 3C with qlite/STAR w+ off-time capacitor added for my friend in a S6 host and turbo timer. Made for a decent light.

Yup... even at only 1A/emitter, it still gets hot quickly on high. Not sure what host you are using; mines in a Convoy S3. Makes for a nice little hand warmer... :evil:

You still get an awesome amount of light for such a small flashlight; mine has impressed everyone who's seen it so far. I showed it to my aunt over the weekend. (Everyone in my family knows not to look into lights I hand them.) She pointed it away from her face, into the palm of her hand, and turned the light on... She was still blinded and had a green spot in her vision for a while afterward...

Hahahah good one!!

where do I add the jumpers on the board. and it would be sick to build this triple into the 18350 s2+ host.

There are two ways the jumpers can be set.

For parallel you place 4 jumpers on the two sets of parallel but offset pads with rounded ends. This connects the led /- pads to the/- wire pads.

For series, just two jumpers connecting the squarish portions of each pair of pads connects led- of one to the led+ of the next led in series.

IOS LINK with pictures.

*I decided to spend the extra $10 and get the XP-L U5 7A3 TRIPLE.
is 3A just weak drive for this triple? This will be put in a S6 host. Should i go FET DD or stick with the 7135 Qlite 3amp driver…? Will be using one 18650*

why not go with the LD-2 driver?

link to driver?

LD-2 Driver Here you go

If you’re only driving it at 1A per emitter, you’re sort of wasting your time with XP-L. XP-G2 would have about the same output. I have both and there doesn’t seem to be any advantage unless you’re going to run more than 1A per emitter to go with a XP-L. also the LD-2 driver is not ideal to run a triple - the driver would generate a lot of heat. I don’t have my LD-2’s yet but from what I can tell you would probably need to make sure the driver can dissipate that extra heat if you do try it.

So whats the ideal driver for more than 1A per emitter w/o too much heat? James3 did a triple xpl with the LD-2 and he has already listed it for sale! So I guess its quite a performer?

I haven’t done it but it sounds like stacking 7135’s if you have space would probably be the best bet to run around 2A on a triple (and then maybe just go FET/DD for 3A+ per emitter and just vary what battery you use). you might have noticed the maker of the LD-2 driver (led4power) chimed in on that for sale thread and how that triple may be a bit taxing for the driver.

since I have a qlite 3.04a I’m just going to use that with the triple xpl. maybe later I’ll change it out for a FET. as for the LD2 I am going to pass.

yeah no harm, just don’t think the XP-L would be of any real advantage over the XP-G2 in this case. LD-2 group buy for US passed so it’s a little less convenient to get them at the moment.

Taxing… Fatal or shortened life?

bare with me here kinda slow sometimes,
Can I use 8.2v on the triple XPL if i used a zener driver?
Since this triple XPL is from RMM it is in SERIES right?
I wont need to do anything to the noctigon when I get it in hand or….Do I still need to add jumpers on the board?

based off this image here it looks like i will need to add two jumpers like the green marks in this photo:

yes what you show would be in series, but you would need 3 cells (~12V) not 2 cells (~8V) to power that config. Each LED needs it’s own cell if it’s in series (basically). I think a zener modded board would handle 12v (8v too) but it depends on the zener used. The next problem though would be low voltage protection - the values would probably need to be changed in the programming or a voltage divider resistor changed.

and either way, you would need to solder/add jumpers to the noctigon depending on how you want to config it - unless it’s some of the XP-L’s that RMM is selling pre-bridged/soldered.

hmm not sure, wish RMM could chime in on his triple xpl Noctigons