Tritium

WOW.... Better call Sons of Guns, Mythbusters and Oprah too!

Well now, that’s still about six years ahead of me!

I wish I was joking

In my opinion, it is not useful but really fun and attractive ^^

Be thankful you don't live in the states you would most likely would have disappeared by now.

I think Australians aren't really bothered by that kind of thing. I mean, rendition is how they all got there in the first place. Well, sort of. Anyway, I read a great book about some of them escaping. Well worth the time if you are a reader.

I thought I'd add that I got my tritium keyring from hkequipment.

Its not very bright at all, you cant even see it at day time or with a light on.

Turn the light off and its not much better.

The good H3 glowstuff radiates with a power considerably greater than 1 GBq. Sadly, that is the legal radiation limit in Germany for tritium products in private hands.

:shock: :shy: :heart_eyes: :stuck_out_tongue:

Trits are not very bright at all, and that sounds about right. You can only really see the glow in a dark room with the lights out, and better if night adjusted eyes.

Other thing is how old the tritium is. Although its half life is 12.5 years, even a year old trit is noticable dimmer already. We dont know how old the HKe stuff is though, and I know it was there 2 years ago, but dont know if its new stock.

My son found a Texas Instruments tritium dial watch in the street when he was maybe three years old. I wore it when I was working with magnets, because my other watch was mechanical and might have been damaged. The cheap case wore out and I threw it away. It would be dead by now anyway.
The unique thing about it is that tritium and deuterium have have a fusion activation energy of “only” a few hundred thousand electron volts. The reaction generates 14 million electron volt neutrons that are sometimes used for research. More important, that reaction is a stage of nuclear weapons. The plutonium fission “A bomb” trigger heats a mixture of deuterium and tritium enough to “ignite” it at maybe a few million degrees. That reaction heats a larger mass of cheaper deuterium to ignite it at a higher temperature. That and the low grade uranium around the outside generate most of the destructive energy. So that is why the US government is interested in it.
The same reaction is also involved in some types of controlled fusion.
It is generated, mostly for use in bombs, in deuterium moderated fission reactors. Neutrons from the fission combine with deuterium nuclei to become tritium nuclei. It decays into helium 3 and beta rays. I read there is a shortage of helium 3 now days, because we don’t have as much tritium in our stockpile as we did during the Cold War.
I am sort of considering buying some, like the rest of you.
If it is really used in gas form, that may be because there is more concern about nuclear proliferation than about accidental release and ingestion. It seems that a solid inert form like polyethylene would be safer, but would give less light for the amount of tritium.