TrustFire T6 3x XM-L is still a good bargain?

I still love my TR-3t6 (from fasttech), and keep it in my truck as a backup to my SRK. Sure, you can get a single 18650 light that puts out more lumens, but I have yet to find any other light that will work on so many battery types. I’ve usually got plenty of 18650s lying around, but being able to use AAs, 18500s, CR123s, 14500s, and a couple other sizes is really where this light shines (no pun intended).
Last I checked fasttech was the best bet for a genuine light.

It depends. You can use a 10-ohm trimpot [trimming potentiometer] to dial-in the output current you want, but that Trustfire driver is designed to put out the amperage it does. Overdriving it will reduce the effeciency, and as I learned the hard way, asking too much from a buck driver will start frying components. Granted, I asked that driver to deliver 200% of its original output, so trying for 1800 lumens isn’t unreasonable. You’ll probably have the efficiency drop a bit under 80% but on the whole I doubt you’ll burn anything up as long as you don’t get greedy.

And I’ll agree with Cyrus. FT for a real 3T6, and the one with a stainless bezel for optimum zombie-smashing. :3

You’re right! Yezl 3 was one to to choose, but for me…some kind of aesthetics that I’m not convinced. I don’t know why. But it’s a good flashlight for sure!

Wow, thank you very much for the link of the new version with XML 2, so kindly!

Thank you CyrusAM for your excellent explanation. It’s good to know it can work with so may different cells :slight_smile:

So, modded@1800 lumens is 200% more for the driver?

You’re right, man!! :bigsmile:

No I was trying to get a SmallSun T620 driver to go from 1.9A to the emitter to 4A. That blew it up. Taking the 3T6 from 1300 to 1800, or even 2000 lumens, should be doable. Should being the operative word.

Here’s another quick teardown and review with some of the batteries I’ve tried to run. I’ve also managed to get the head to fit on a solarforce l2m body, but the spring binds and scratches the tube. Worked great after I removed the spring, but I felt really silly with that big of a head on a tiny 18350 tube.

That’s what I find on Amazon: Super Bright 3800 akaTrustfire
(*Package includes: 1 x TrustFire CREE XM-L T6 5-Modes 3800LM LED Flashlight Electric Torch
1x Extension tube)

For 18,72 = 14,50 euros can I give a try? In the others offert they don’t put the extension tube (5,…$ more +o-)

I suppose, but I would question the quality of a sub-$20 TR-3T6 copy. I’m leery of unproven clones as the Amazon.com clone I bought, the driver died after a month. Granted, the pill structure was much more substantial, which made it ideal for a direct-drive conversion. But if you’re buying it for the battery flexibility, it would be worth it to seek out a genuine Trustfire.

SKIP AMAZON!
Seriously, how many people have to get ripped off before you learn? I have heard nothing but bad news from anyone buying a tr-3t6 from there. If you just plan on using it as a host it might be worth it though.

I have 2 of these, how in the world do you get AA’s to work in that light? they are just going to wobble all around like most of the other batteries you mentioned :~

I also used AA just to try if it works and it works, of course they wobble because there are a few mm space around them but it works….

Interesting, I would have never have tried that……Thanks 8)

I still like my 3T6, but I tend to use my J-18, or 12xT6 if I want anything big, and my Solarstorm Warrior with XML2s, Convoy S3 or L4 if I don’t. Either way, I wouldn’t get an SRK if you dont like the form, I have a bunch of them now due to a few errors and deals (only way I’d buy them), and I still hardly use them. Unless you want to mod it, then an SRK can be great but in that case you should probably get the M6? I think it was called…

The J18 is $45 at Lightmalls and will get you closer to the lumens you think you are getting in the advertised 3T6 TrustFire TR-J18 7xT6 7*Cree XM-L T6 8500LM 5 Modes Led Flashlight(2x18650/3x18650/2x26650/3*26650) I’ve had several J18s with lots of use on them, they are very nice unless you get a bad driver, its probably my most used hiking light.

You’re right, man. I saw a lot of comment on Amazon about people very hungry for some problems with that light!
But like you said, if everything goes to hell, I always use it like host (a friend can help me, or it will be the first time I’ll modding a light :wink: )

Cut electrical conduit to length as a sleeve, I think I used 1/2-inch . Take a AA with you to the store to check. Great stuff, and cheap. Wrap some tape around each end if it rattles but I haven't needed it yet. IDK the equivalent outside the US.

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=72711-1792-101543

I still have the original 2 cell 3T6 I got from Manafont about 3 years ago. It's basically a mint condition shelf queen now, but I still play with it every once in a while. Great flashlight for it's time. The only thing I can say I don't like about is the disco modes aren't hidden.

I’m glad to ear that :slight_smile:
“Original” mean stock version, without modding?

Yes, I've never modded mine. I feel it's bright enough for it's time. That said I have much brighter lights in my collection such as the 5 amp Dry, Fenix TK75, and a Nitecore TM26. Both Fenix and Nitecore are the latest models...

BTW, when I said "original" I meant the first release of the 3T6, which is not a fake as far as I know...

Perfect, thank you very much for explanation :slight_smile: