TrustFire X7 - Review & Mod thread - SST-50, MT-G2, XHP-35 HI = FANTASTIC RESULTS!

If you cant find or make a copper disk, you can heat a 20mm noctigon or sinkpad with a torch and burn the insulative layer and traces off. Heat only to slight pink glow and then quench in water. This can take more than one time to get it completely clean. Then lightly lap each side with fine sand paper on a flat surface and you have a perfect spacer. I didnt solder my MCPCB to the disk and lumens dont plunge as the light heats up, so it appears that soldering them together wasnt mandatory with my mod. Of course, soldering them together would be the best way to assure proper heat transfer.

If you solder them together, then you dont need to lap it with sand paper. :stuck_out_tongue:

True, but then future emitter swaps would take more time and effort.

Hi,

not really. Just solder another star under the new LED. The LED can be taken out easily.

I have to do the wiring again. I think the reflector pushed hard on the braid when screwing the head and now i have a short between LED- and ground. The contacts are normally protected by kapton tape. Light works but don´t change mode at the moment. I will swap the braid against thin copper pieces in the next days.

Greetings

Kenjii

Kenjii - could you please paste a X7 beamshot with XHP35?
Or at least compare the light produced by XHP35 with stock SST50.

Thanks

Hi,

sure but it will take some days. Very broad beam and much spill. Really nice beam.

The SST50 was mit properly focussed so this cannot be compared.

Greetings

Kenjii

Hi,

i swapped the driver at the weekend (soldered a short somewhere) and did the wiring again. Now it is as flat as it could be. I tried to center the LED in the reflector again but could not get it centered properly again. So i tried to insert a centering adapter. First i made an XP-2-XM Adapter but that Thing flipped out when screwing the head. So i centered the LED just by screwing the head onto the XM-L adapter and let it circle around the XHP35 HD. This worked good and now i don´t have any ugly rings left. Just a little corona around the huge spot. I measured now 172 KLux and ~2800 Lumens :slight_smile:

Still no beamshots …

Greetings

Kenjii

That looks great Kenjii! I also had to keep adjusting my reflector by loosening and tightening the bezel to make it center my MT-G2 properly. It was a pain to adjust, but once centered and tightened down, it hasnt moved again. Is that an AR lens you found for your light?

Im looking forward to your outdoor impressions and beamshots.

Hi,

no that is not an AR-lens. I used an UV light for that picture. But i think you can get an UCLp at Flashlightlens.com.

Regards

Kenjii

I think I heard the same thing about the lens. They sure have a great selection.

Have you had a chance to take it outdoors and play? What are your impressions?

Hi,

i took it with me for a short walk but without beamshot equipement. The beam is very broad and the spill really bright. Very useable wall of light :wink: Unfortunately i discovered then that there is a ring left around the spot which cannot be seen on a close whitewallshot but on a greater distance. So i think i have to do some more fine tuning. Possibly remove the reflector base. But i think these are luxury problems and I like the light a lot already. Great LED with great Output. Just the high voltage needed is a con. I am now waiting for a XHP35 Hi, then this light is almost perfect.

Greetings

Kenjii

Thanks Kenjii. It sounds like you’re experiencing the same rings produced by the stock SST50, which went away after my MT-G2 mod. Id probably wait to swap the HI version before modding your reflector, but Im sure you’ve already thought that through. I bet the conversion will do as expected, with much less spill beam and a brighter hot spot.

Is the XHP35 HI you ordered XHP35A-H1-0000-0D0BC40E3? That seem to be the only version available in the US. Nice that the bin is D4 so Im not complaining.

Hi,

no the rings with SST50 were much worse than now. It is just a ring around the corona.

Beamshots :party: Most of my lights are modified, so no stock light to compare:

- Trustfire X7 XHP35 HD - ~178 Kcd, 2800Lumens

- Maxtoch SN6X-2X - ~180 Kcd

- Thrunite TN32 UT XP-L Hi V3 - ~368 Kcd

- EagTac S200C2 XP-G2 dedomed - ~125 Kcd

• Roche F8 3x Nichia219C - 2800 Lumens

Distance to the weir is about 160metres. Nikon P100, f=4,5, 0,5Sec., ISO800

You can see the really bright and very nice Spill with huge spot compared to the other lights. This is a really good combination of throw and flood. Even with smaller hotspot from a XHP35 HI it would still be a very useful light.

Greetings

Kenjii

Thanks for the beam shots Kenjii. Thats quite impressive for a domed emitter. It will be very interesting to see how the HI version compares.

Do you have a link from where you purchased the XHP35 HI?

Hi,

i have not purchased XHP35 Hi already because of the shipping costs. I asked some others for a group buy but not enough demand at the moment to get 11 pcs together for free shipping. So i will wait until 3Tronics has these in stock.

Available at Mouser: XHP35 Hi

Greetings

Kenjii

Regardless of the supplier, it appears to be the only XHP35 HI part number available at the moment.

I have ordered mine from cutter, but it’s over a week now and they still didn’t send it! So I’m going to dedoom a standard one. I think I should get a better throw this way then using a HI version.

I dont think thats been done before with an XHP35. Please let us know how it goes.

Kenjii

Which XHP35 HD bin did you use?

Hi,

I used the D4 5000K from MTN: http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=60_114&product_id=569

Greetings

Kenjii