Try to get out of anduril behavior

@lochs

Thanks for the offer !!

For right now, I am mostly interested in the TS10. Currently using HEX files that include the 8C to turn off AUX. I have both the newer multi channel V2 and V1 lights. I can get specific numbers if required.

I always do this to avoid that issue: with all my Andúril lights I have modified the simple UI in such a way that it works for me as I want the light to work. With Andúril 2 this is fully possible. Then I put the lights into simple UI and run them in this mode all the time. That gets rid of the Momentary issue, and I have none of these blinkies and such stuff which I do not want anyway. Perfect solution for me.

4 Thanks

I think that changing momentary mode from off, from 5C to 5H would be enough.

1 Thank

5H is already assigned to the Sunset Timer… that is why I suggest 6H, which presently is not in use

1 Thank

I don’t think changing the way existing functionality is accessed is an ideal UX design approach. A better way to approach this IMO would be to introduce a config menu that lets the user disable features in simple mode, e.g. strobes, blinkies, momentary, turbo etc. The other thing, if possible, would be disabling simple factory reset (screw+1HHH) whenever the light is in simple mode making the only way out 10H or 13H.

2 Thanks

Agreed, I think that is ideal though I think there is a concern about MCU space available on the older MCU’s, hence ToyKeeper instead looking at various Simple UI flavors.

Either way, with enough support in the feature request thread something will get implemented.

1 Thank

Just need to know what modifications you want, in terms of where you want it moved to (e.g. on some of my lights where I did want momentary, I moved it to 12C) or removed completely, and any other changes to build in. A lot of the modifications I’ve already written, it’s just a case of which patches for me to merge, and I can merge the 8C aux switch mod as well.

THX. I need to document all of the things that I am changing manually. I will do that and send everything via PM so we don’t clutter the thread …

Imo 5C is very useful, not that you’d need it often, but it is better than a 4c lock out. lock out resets when power is reconnected, 5C does not. So if you want to prevent someone using it and blinding themselves or someone, mom. is great. If I understand correctly you can set the brightness of mom. mode, unlike lockout.
Thou it is not bulletproof, there is a chance someone would accidentally unlock it. My kid used to play with my kr4 when he was 2-3. i always lock it before clipping to my belt, but he would keep clicking the button, and sometimes did 4c and deactivated it.

2 Thanks

I can unlock any Anduril light by doing physical lockout.

iow, by loosening the body tube and then retightening, the light becomes unlocked.

That means a child can unlock without doing any clicking, they just have to twist the head loose and tight again. That means they can get to Turbo or Ceiling with just 2 clics, unless Turbo is specifically disabled in settings, and ceiling is lowered in settings.

Also when changing the battery, the light gets unlocked.

Lockout mode is primarily meant to prevent it from burning a hole in your pocket or your bag, not to make it kid safe. That’s why it has 4C to get out, something not too intrusive.

Other modes are for kids. Many of us like simple mode as you can limit the max power, and it’s near impossible to get out of via 10H (unless maybe trying to simulate strobe mode), but also disconnecting and reconnecting won’t get you out of it. But you could use momentary mode or tactical mode if you want 2 or 3 levels/modes available if you aren’t worried about them escaping.

This is false, otherwise how would you get out of momentary / tactiacl mode? Light is on when the button is held, otherwise it is off, and it lets you click any number of times in order to light paint or morse code however you like. Power being disconnected and reconnected is the only way to get out.

You can set the two brightness levels of lockout mode as described in the manual here

[quote] Lockout mode also doubles as a momentary moon mode, so the user can do quick tasks without having to unlock the light. The brightness in lockout mode has two levels:

• 1H: Light up at the lowest floor level (ramp vs stepped).
  • 2H: Light up at the highest floor level. (or the manual mem level, if there is one)[/quote]
2 Thanks

I always use momentary at an eye-safe level whenever a child requests a light. To prevent them from escaping momentary I use 2 little-documented Andúril features, screwing the head and tailcap cap on pretty ~ fscking tight and supervising children playing with overpowered electric lights.

It’s hard to screw it up in simple UI.

2 Thanks

Their kids like strobe mode, and that is why 10H can sometimes be hit.

This is why in that thread there are discussions about having somehow configurable or different templates of Simple UI available.

1 Thank

I know this is an unpopular opinion these days, but what happened to just saying “no” when kids want to play with something that can be dangerous or that they can screw up?

5 Thanks

It does not always work, i mean sometimes you are just not around, and they get a hold of different things. obviously you hide/lock those that they should never touch themselves, (g8ns, poisonous chemicals, knives,…) but you can’t ban them from touching everything.

They want to use strobe mode that’s why with the original firmware there is no strobe mode in simple UI.

And since going into strobe is 3H and then 2c to switch, they end up in weird modes :man_facepalming:t2:

I don’t know if you have children.

For me they are my children but the youngest is 17 years and the oldest 21 years between children and nephews uncles we are many in the family outings to the countryside and parents also end up in rare modes of UI Anduril.

I explained it above.

1 Thank

Yes I do. :slight_smile:

It was a general comment and not directed at you specifically, but it gets mentioned a lot and not just here. At work we have the company-owned iPhones configured to wipe themselves after five incorrect passcode attempts. We’ve had someone come in complaining about this because her child kept wiping her phone and demanding that we change the security policy. When we explained why that wasn’t going to happen her response was “Well, he’s just going to keep doing it!” We I suggested that she didn’t let him play with it she looked like I’d kicked her dog.

2 Thanks

You misunderstood me.

I use a translator.

When I say children, I mean my children, even though they are older and can safely use flashlights, they are not small children.

But I will always say my children as something affectionate.

I was just making the comment about not leaving flashlights with small children.