trying to consolidate all ZeusRay posts

+1 - I got qty 2 of the silver ones in, same source, and pretty much agree, but I'm a bit more disappointed:

• design does not match their photos (scallop marks around the head are missing - which I prefer the look of)
  • flood width is much smaller because of the poor head design with the emitter set deep into the pill top (I was hoping at least some modding could fix this, but I don't see any way possible - other cheap zoomies can be fixed up by shortening the zoom slide, but this is not moddable for that)
  • of course it has the hollow pill
  • Amps is limited, not DD like the ZeusRay
  • lower end LED of course, probably XPE - no idea what the "Q5" is - that usually means XRE
  • to get access to the switch, looks like you'd have to drill holes in the press fit plastic

The Ultrafires aren’t the same light, not even close. I think there’s a topic for the Ultrafire zoomies somewhere else.

As my thoughts about zoomies have been posted in another thread I will post them here, in case Zeusray are interetsed in my views.

I use zoomies quite a lot, for photography, climbing in the dark etc etc. For me the most important thing in a zoomie is how wide the zoom angle is. Measurements in another thread by BLF members who have a Zeusray zoomie suggest that the flood beam angle is up to 77 degrees, possibly lower. The host I use has 81,5 degrees (also has a solid pill). However, the Zeusray host is however a little smaller. If the flood beam angle was as wide I’d be interested… But then again, I don’t think most users really care about flood width as I do.

The wife was in a good mood last night. She let me order some flashlight goodies and the Zeusray was one of them :open_mouth:

Mike, I have both the Zeusray and the 878 clone (which you mentioned in other thread). They both have almost exactly the same wide beam. For this I highly prefer the zeusray since it’s much smaller.

If yours has exactly the same width as the one I use means that the Zeusray is highly inconsistent in it’s production and is a lottery of what you get. Check out this discussion from this post onwards: Review: Zeusray CREE XM-L2 zoomable flashlight. Others measured the angle on the Zuesray up to 77 degrees, using the same measurement method where the one I use meassured 81,5. I have four of the hosts I like and they are all exactly the same.

So if you are right the Zuesray is too inconsistent for me to consider. So I’ll be sticking with the other, despite it’s slightly larger size.

If you’d like a wider flood, try an emitter swap — my ZeusRay with a PC Rebel Amber gives a bit over 80 degrees, my unmodified ZeusRay gives a bit under 80 degrees.

It would take doing screenshots to be sure exactly where at the rim of the flood the measurement’s being taken, the ‘gray area’ is maybe half a centimeter.
I’d bet that’s the main source of the difference people are reporting, the “meniscus” where the light changes isn’t exact.

No argument that you’d expect less variation from the $12 light than from the $8 light, all else being equal.

I’m going to replace the lens with flat antireflection glass on one of mine, as the unfocused flood is very nice.

A nice tip. Thanks.

Is 4 degrees really that much noticeable, as in, if you didn’t measure it, would you really be able to tell? I’m not convinced it is.

I think I could notice, I’ve been through a few zoomies. But if I can or not does not matter, I have absolutely no reason to buy it if it is not at least as wide. For me it is an inferior light.

Did any of you get a tracking number? My order said it was going to ship from Hong Kong instead of their LA Warehouse. I paid $1.99 extra for International Register Air Mail (Add Tracking).

I’m itching to get my hands on this flashlight. :smiley:

Drop them an email > sales@dealmetic.com . They will reply you within 2 days.

I spoke too soon. I found a yellow envelope in the mailbox. It had two Zeusray’s in it. One works great and is very bright compared to what I own now. The second one is DOA. :_( Anyone here get a DOA Zeusray and did Dealmetic resolve the problem? Refund or Replace?

EDIT: One more thing. The Zeusray kicks the ever loving crap out of my prized Sipik SK68 and it’s CK91 sibling. I’m in awe of what this Zeusray can do. Looking forward to building my Convoy M2 and seeing what that can do.

Since you have two, one working, have you tried swapping parts?
Tailcap, anyhow, in case it’s just a bad switch (and make sure the switch is tight in the tailcap)
Have you unscrewed the pills to see if they look the same on the driver end?

And of course let them know and post what they reply.

I switched tail caps and still the same thing. As for the working one, I’m still in awe of it’s brightness.

EDIT: Got a hold of Mountain Electronics and I’m having them add another Qlite driver and 16mm LED to my existing order so I can do something with this paperweight. I sure hope it’s a 16mm in there.

Just measured, and it's 16mm driver.

Jubeldum, I hope you will contact Dealmetic — they have an email address on their home page.

Because they’ve sort of promised to sell us the pills, or a host version of the light — and if they are fair with you and give you something back, or replace the dead light, that’d be a good sign.

(Now we know there are one or two smart people at the company, and they aren’t in charge, and whoever is in charge might have no clue about making us happy — but it’d be worth knowing what response you get.)

Hi, guys

I really like my zeusray but i want to upgrade the led and star.

How do i remove the brown protection over the led to get access to it?

this one https://www.dealmetic.com/\img\FL\FL05518\FL05518-2.jpg

Do i just stick something in there and bend? it feels glued.

So its a 16mm driver, do anyone sell a 16mm blfdd fet driver that fit? do any blf16dd driver even exist?

Guys, think I posted this in the past, but I easily modded my ZeusRay with a Nanjg at 3.85A, shown here:

Fits standard 17mm drivers perfectly. Here's the album of my pics on the ZeusRay and mods:

http://s1054.photobucket.com/user/TomE2012/library/ZeusRay

Can't recall how I got the brown reflector/retainer out, but many times I poke them out from a LED wire hole from the pill side using a solder pick tool. Sometimes I pry them up. I usually don't re-use them - can't recall what I did.

Pry it with a pair of tweezers at edge near LED, with a little bit of force. It will pop out without much damage.