trying to consolidate all ZeusRay posts

Good to know, thanks! Just pulled the trigger on one.

Back in stock; ordered two; there were 13; now there's only 9 :D

Did you get any order confirmation email from them? I never did

No I didn’t either. As long as you have a PayPal record for it, it should be no probs.

I never did also.

No confirmation email, checked out using pp express/no account though.

Yeah I never got an email, it didn’t even have a confirmation page on the website. But it definitely charged my PayPal

I thought I was alone when I did not get a confirmation from Dealmetic, and I aborted registering on Web site — asking too many questions. So I filed a PayPal complaint and then I got a response from Dealmetic saying the light was shipped a couple of days after order. Shipping was 18 days from order.

Dealmetic will update your account by 48hrs. Login to verify the status again.
I have 4 orders with them since Zeusray offer was launched. I have received all my orders and replacement. I guess they can be trusted for now.

What if I didn’t register for an account?

You can contact them at sales@dealmetic.com. They are rather prompt in reply.

No confirmation email. I sent them an email asking about the shipping date. They emailed back the next day saying it was shipped on Dec 19. Not bad.

That most recent ZeusRay I got — the one that flashed one time and died — is a cobbled together scrap piece.

I lifted up the emitter — after checking it with direct connection and finding the emitter’s dead.

Underneath the emitter was something weird — not holes, but square sawed out notches for the wires.

Huh? On the driver side, they’re round holes.

Uh, oh.

Someone drilled the hole too far into the pill, and then put in a piece of aluminum as a filler to hold the emitter up at the right level.
Big, BIG divot out of the pill right below where the emitter should sit, so even without the extra spacer it won’t transfer heat well.

Pictures: ZeusRay | Flickr

This is junk. Someone hid a screwup?

Or someone is trying to cheat by taking more metal out, saving up aluminum shavings and cutting down the amount of aluminum used in the pill, which is exactly wrong.

Photos to follow.
(No, I haven’t gotten the replacement yet, so I don’t know if this is more than a single bad light. Yet.)

We found out earlier that the website used by DealMetic is also the home for a different-named company that’s selling the same “hollow pillow” light for twice the money.
Anyone know if those are any better quality?

I think I recall there are double-thickness copper stars — that should work. Any suggestions?

EDIT, well standard thickness seems to be 1mm.
There are 1.5mm thick Noctigon copper stars, which would reduce the mismatch, though there’s a whole extra mm depth to fill to get this right.

Maybe drilling and tapping holes to really clamp down on the filler piece, and lapping the pieces for better contact, and adding thermal paste — too damn much work to make up for a screwup.

The dead light I received from them has the same thing. Looks like they drilled too far and put in a metal spacer to shim it. It’s ok since they sent me another light that works good. I think they just have some quality control issues that need to be addressed. Most likely need to fire the moron (or demote him to janitor) that made the mistake in setting up the CNC wrong and trying to cover up his mistake.

The Zeusray is a good light and can be a great light. Most likely they’ll have to charge a one or two dollars more but it will be worth it. Also charging more for tint options would be awesome too.

Maybe a Marketing Darwin Award — fhaving one really smart employee who listens to informed customers, gets them what they want, then ….what?
Do we even know if he got thanked for doing this so very well?
Heck, if I knew his email I’d send him a PayPal tip myself in thanks.
Something tells me his boss didn’t do it.

Hank, there suppose to have a brownish plastic holder on top of the base plate around the emitter, how did you remove it ? (i tried remove it by gentle means but didn’t manage to get it out) or do I have to destroy it before remove it ?

Anyway, what is the purpose of the brown disc ?

The brown disc I found easy to remove - think I used a pry hooked tool, just work it slowly. The disc cuts down on reflections that appear in the beam, mostly when zoomed (square LED image for max throw). I don't always keep them in, and they don't always cut out the reflections entirely, all depends on the design. Black is usually the best color - some guys spray paint the MCPCB instead of using a plastic disc. The stock JAX Z1 has the best flat black disc I've seen in a zoomie. It's probably most important if you don't want any side spill at all when fully zoomed out - this might be important for some usages, like hunting, night spotting wildlife, etc.

So that’s what it does. Thanks for the info.

As Tom E. said, just pry up carefully; I found , I could get traction on the outside rim of it and lever it up around the perimeter, instead of reaching inside the center opening and risking damaging the LED or wires.

Just slow steady prying with a thin bit of something that was wide enough and thin enough to dig into the brown thing but not chew through it. A tiny bit of oil or even water might lubricate the perimeter where it’s force fit into the surrounding metal, too.

Same for getting it back in place — I found using a hollow cylindrical piece of plastic the same diameter as the brown thing to press evenly all around its edge worked — same approach, nothing touched the emitter, all the effort around the outside edge of the brown thing.