Tube style and Tight hotspot

Have someone mod a convoy S series with an XP-L Hi.

In my experience with the convoy m1 and m2 the m2 throws better than the m1 especially dedomed. It's something about the reflector shape I guess. It's smaller than the m1 diameter wise and is more pocket friendly.

The older model tail switch twist head eagletac d25lc2 with custom 2.1A driver and XP-G2 throws good for its size and it's smaller than the A6 or convoys.

I think the A6 and convoy S"#" tube lights reflectors are very similar so they'll all produce similar beam patterns. The eagletac has a deep reflector in comparison but it's sized for the XP.

I'd go for the a M2 with an dedomed XML2 or XPL HI. Drive it hard it can handle it!

The S2+ and A6 have almost identical reflectors. However the S2/S6/S8 have a much different reflector and beam profile. The SMOs in particular throw quite a bit further but also have a smaller spill. The hot spot is very defined unlike the OP S2+ reflector.

Good info thanks. I'd like to have an SMO in my A6.

Same here but I don’t know where to get one. Please let me know if you find one that fits.

This seems to make about the best throw tube light. Love the one I built.

Which TIR and LED did you use?

That is not a bad option, but the XP-G2 is a marked improvement.

XM-L2 with 10 degree TIR on left, XP-G2 with SMO reflector on right. Both at 350 mA:

You do not mention a minimum output. The XP-E2 is widely ignored, but with a Convoy S8 or S5 with smooth reflector it will give a nice bright distinctive hotspot. It is just limited to 2A and a few hundred lumens.

How about an XPL HI and an TIR? If y’all haven’t tried it yet then I may have to order one. I have a brand new blue S2+ host just itching for some attention.

I had a cheap ultrafire tube light with a smooth plastic reflector, where I dedomed the xp-e, and got a defined hotspot with little spill. A xml might have thrown further, but not with that defined hotspot.

For throw in a small reflector, 19mm in all my testing I haven't found anything to throw like an XPE Torch led. At 100 meters at 800mAh at the led it lights my test tree up better than XPL Hi, XML-2 or XPG2.

Better than a dedomed XP-G2 as well? That’s amazing! I really have to look into these. I have never tried one. Is it a pencil beam?

I haven't compared the XPE torch led with a dedomed XPG-2 but have built a few lights with them in optic's and they do perform well. The tints were a lottery though.

Try looking at the newest versions of the Nitecore P12 and Fenix PD35 with the XPL Hi emitters

Sorry if I missed this, do you want an additional light to supplement your A6, or would you rather just improve the A6?

If you just want more throw out of your A6, there are many options that can all be had under $10.

Thanks to all for the responses. I would like to get more hotspot from my A6 but as some here have noted it doesn’t seem to be the best initial approach due to reflector length limitations. The A6 does what it does very well and sometimes that is exactly what I want- just not all the time- hence the new approach.

At this point I think I’ll go with a Convoy S2 SMO and XPG2 and if that isn’t tight enough I’ll be doing my first emitter swap.

Thanks!
Phil

I wouldn’t mind getting more throw out of one of my S2+’s. They all have a XML T6 4C in them. Any reflector swaps out there that might work?

Might also consider this light.

djozz might be able to comment on the reflector’s performance, but this is one light I’ve always had my eye on

The Tir is from Simon. I really like the build, very smooth hot spot.