TURBO for only 20 secs is getting to be BS............

Yer right of course. Butt Osram thinks we’re nuts! :laughing:

I didn’t bring it up……
Someone else brought up the car.

Oh yeah. Sorry there. :zipper_mouth_face:

It was x-ray that brought it up. :smiley:

Turbo works for me to scan a field for wildlife.

What light?

Are you holding your tongue right?

This is one reason I can’t bring myself to plunk down the dollars for one of those multi thousand lumen lights.

Imalent makes lights that sustain turbo for ~3minutes. Unfortunately, they have some QC issues :confused:

Got a Jetbeam TH20 that will do over 3000L for almost 10 minutes. Of course that isn’t a very big number now days. Still a impressive light in my book. One of my most used lights.

I heard the thrunite tn36 limited can sustain 7-8k for 20 minutes

I totally agree with the original post.

I enjoy seeing individuals and companies pushing the limits and advancing technology. But advertising crazy lumens that last at most a minute (or less) is trash. I’m not knocking small boutique lights like emisar as they are advertised as such.

My other gripe since I’m venting…
I won’t buy a light if I can’t remove the strobe feature. Total garbage.

I happen to like the top fuel analogy. Dragsters are made for maximum performance for a very short amount of time. Purpose built. Zillion lumen lights are cool if you buy them specifically with the intent to use them for a max of 20 seconds. I typically use mine longer.

Nascar/F1 are made for maximum performance as well, but it is a much longer race. Again purpose built.

My D4 is a dragster.
My ZL is more like nascar.

I very seldom NEED a light that reaches infinity.
Butt I enjoy my brief stab at it.
And it’s usually competent at lower levels.
I practice with 38s butt keep 357s in the chamber.

The way I see it, each light has its sweet spot for sustained output, turbo or higher modes are great for when I need it but can’t be expected from small hosts and the current LED tech for long durations.
Like the Emisar D4 is really a 500-600lm light for longer run times but that max setting sure is nice for a few seconds :slight_smile:

I mostly use lights for very brief periods where I need bright, longer uses are usually for close up work so lower modes suit there anyway.

I see what you are talking about nottawackjob. That said, I never use Turbo modes for more than 10-15 seconds max. Don’t need it any longer than that. If I did, guess I’d look for a source other than a flashlight.

Turbo mode is useful for camp flashlight because you can easily start a fire without matches and it’s a jaw dropping experience for spectators :slight_smile:

If runtime doesn’t matter just use a camera flash bulb, then you can get hundreds of thousands of lumens.
Great for marketing!

A tiny Megabeam for half a minit is fine.
as a novelty and looking round you out in the scrub.
But 96% of most torch work is done at under 400.
Which most decent hand held (Comfortable sized) torches
will give you.
Anything more.
Myself. I have an Imalent DN35. Convoy L2, L6,
Plus a 9x XML SkyRay King.

More than that.
My Ute (Pickup for you US residents) has LED Headlights.
a 23in LED bar. and a 40 in LED bar.
Pure daylight Plus. for 1\2 a mile plus. In front of me.

Practically. in the budget range.
Any C8/C8+, or derivative from other MFG’s,
will do nearly all of we want. From putting a key in door.
to watching a rabbit run across paddock 200yds away.

A better automotive analogy is the overboost programming some cars have, where the wastegate allows short periods of higher boost pressure to give some extra performance, but for limited duration and under qualified (read, safe for the engine) conditions. It gives a little extra performance, but not to the detriment of long term reliability.

The difference, though, is that the brief periods of extra power aren’t normally used for marketing purposes, nor are they characterized as the (sustained) maximum output; the spec figures still refer to the “normal mode” output.

At least some light manufacturers are upfront about the true nature of the turbo modes, but it’s still likely to go unnoticed by the layman, and disingenuous to a certain degree.

I love any type of motor sport, just born and raised that way. I would be wickedly impressed if nitro cars could run an entire race weekend with the same engine. I think we would all love our flashlights to be able to run at high stress levels for longer periods. Unfortunately we can’t, yet. Everything is a compromise. racing, lights etc. They all do one thing really really good but only for a short time. I guess we are lucky though. When our lights get hot they step down and keep on shining. A nitro car has to be rebuilt after every 1000 feet.

Get a Zebralight.

Zebralight SC600w will hold turbo for about 5 minutes.