TURBO for only 20 secs is getting to be BS............

I was gonna order a couple from GB but the coupon expired.

The Crapmaster 3000 is outdated, it has been replaced with the Crapmaster 3500. They added usb charging.

Yeah, 2 seconds would be to short of a TURBO. I would be happy with a 1-5 minute TURBO standard. That you could enter repeatedly until the cell gave out or the light melted.

I agree, there should be a reasonable limit set to how short the turbo mode can be, so that the numbers advertised properly represent the flashlight’s performance.

Just a little anecdote… WWII-era warplanes would usually be rated to run at around 50-60% throttle (even lower on some like twin engine bombers IIRC) when cruising/over long periods of time. The full power of those engines was severely time limited not just because of the fuel consumption but because you’d be overheating and overpresurizing components of the plane.

There were ratings for top speed, horsepower, etc. under MAXIMUM potential of the plane, not an arbitrary standard of what someone considered “normal use”. (There would be listings of performance under MANY conditions, engine/flap/etc. settings too)

I see plenty of flashlight companies that list the stepdown times honestly for their lights. There isn’t a problem with listing the max potential performance if you are honest about how long you can actually expect it to last. Not as big of a deal as people make it out to be anyway, 1000 and 2000 lumens look pretty similar in most situations…

So you’re saying you don’t see a problem with a manufacturer advertising 100k lumens if they say it only lasts 2 seconds in the fine print?
What about the lights that just have continuously decreasing output until it reaches a lower mode? That’s not step down, that’s literally “output ramps down immediately after turn on”

The difference between 10k and 100k lumens is definitely not “similar” btw, we’re not really talking about 1000-2000 lumen lights here.

Hmmm… You’d think they added something to improve discharging…

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3000-Lumen-Mini-Q5-LED-Flashlight-Torch-Light-14500-AA-Lamp-Waterproof-Outdoor/273513863397?
Is this for real???

Glancing over, its a AA light powered by an 18650. Does have the Lotus head tho

Aha.
That wasn’t too clear actually.
But then again, i think it’s about thermal management / capabilities vs. power output (and also battery capacity plays a role).
A 2000 lumen light can have the same heat problems as a 100000 lumen light.
But, smaller volumes have relatively more surface area than larger volumes, so things will get worse when you scale things up a few steps.
Either way, you can build and / or buy lights of any size that will have to step down in the highest mode to avoid problems.

I’ll leave this topic after this, because i’m repeating myself…
But again, my point in favour of unsustainable output is that it can be very useful when it’s only a few seconds.
3 of the 4 Nitecore lights i have (TIP, TINI and Concept 1) have a momentary ‘turbo’ option (TIP and Concept can also stay in ‘turbo’), which i often use, but usually only for a few seconds. I’d say 2 seconds on average.
So it’s very useful to me, even in extremely short bursts.

Lights should have a separate momentary turbo button in / on the head.
If it gets too hot you will let go.

Im saying I dont care at all about these wild hypothetical scenarios.

MSO? What a Brilliant concept!

But it wont stop the people who want the Brightest Light.

I can hear them now… LOL
My Turbo is Brighter than your MSO…
My Turbo is Longer than yours…
etc

What a reasonable post :slight_smile:
I doubt it will stop people from buying the light with the Brightest Spec… Turbo Sells Lights

see what I mean?:

LOL!
Let us know how long the turbo lasts on that one :wink:

this thread needs more emoticons
:smiling_imp: :+1: :exclamation: :smiley:

I have a whole roll of coupons!!

Oh, absolutely! The “Cree Q5” is a fantastic emitter, capable of probably 6000lm 8000lm 10,000lm from triple AAAs.

Using only 1 AA, though, means a compromise, so only 3000lm.

So, where can I get the boost driver that power the light?

If a single Cree XP-E Q5 can do 10 000 lumens from 3xAAAs, then what could a 3xXHP70.2 light with 4x18650s do? Tear up reality via time stop, or ZA WARUDO?

I think the universe would collapse in on itself.

It’s not hypothetical.
There already exist lights that step down after just seconds, and there also exist lights that immediately start dropping output when on turbo until they reach high because of either heat or voltage.

Not by an order of magnitude…

The lights that step down that quickly are hotrods made so that people that didnt want to build their own triple or quad could still get a small hotrod light for very cheap.

Dont want one that steps down so quickly? Then buy something with much more limited max output.

Kinda sorta like a young boy:https://aqu52.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/pe-cartoon.jpg?w=296&h=252

I have a camera flashgun that can output tens of thousands more lumens than any flashlight, but it can only do so for a thousandth of a second. That doesn't stop it being very useful for photography. It would of course be useless for walking a dog at night. The problems being discussed in this thread seem to be problems that arise when people buy the wrong thing because they didn't do the appropriate checking of specifications and performance before purchase.