turbo or boost is useless to me

i think you have to eliminate the body, waterproofing, go with polymer batteries, and have the drone turn on and off the light.

one thing you have going for you is, the propellers and air speed will tend to cool it off

that is about the only thing that might make it the least bit easy

i would also like to know your exact application and requirements

some of it may be impossible - example if you said this had to last 20 minutes, i would say the battery will be too heavy.

I loathe turbo, it’s pointless except for bragging rights. It’s like having a gentleman’s sausage that expands to 8” for 5 seconds then shrinks to 4”.

There’s a thought. :confounded:

Wrong. Turbo just means “connect battery to LED and keep an eye on temperature”. If you look at the output graphs for Fenix lights turbo mode when fully temperature-throttled is still lots of lumens brighter than the next mode down. It would be rather silly to limit output only to levels that could be sustained continuously. I love the 400m range I get with brief moments of turbo and am very happy with the sustained output i get after it’s been temperature regulated. To remove the turbo feature from these lights would be a huge loss of functionality for no reason at all.

Pretty sure it lasts longer than 5s on most lights. It’s plenty of time to see all the way across the park where I walk my dog. Also when it’s this cold outside (1C at the moment) turbo lasts longer.

Thanks for all the valuable input thus far. Super helpful.

2 lights per drone. not 8 lights on one drone.

The drone is an Autel Evo 2 Dual, (dual because it has a flir boson thermal camera as well as 4K color video. The drone is so new (came out last march) that there is no good lighting option for night use (SAR) The thermal camera is great but there is a need for drone mounted lighting. THe drone is small and cant lift much (1.5 pounds) otherwise the battery on the drone wont last long trying to haul too much weight. The goal is 3 lights per drone, doing SAR at 100 to 150 ft in the air.

2 lights per drone not six, I bought multiple lights for more than one drone. Extra batteries as well.

Not this again.

Its like guys getting excited over big powerful engines, and then complaining about publishing that high HP rating because they can only drive 55mph anyways. Would you rather manufactures publish the horsepower rating of driving 55mph?

I want to know what the light CAN do, and I realize that practical limitations mean in actual use I have to balance different considerations.

On to the light. If using an off the shelf flashlight you really are going to get into a output vs. weight consideration, because that is really the only way a _flashlight _can manage heat.

But a drone is NOT anywhere near that operating environment, so why think like that? The other way to manage heat is in surface area and that can be done in a lightweight manner. Pull the LED and board out of a small light and mount it on an aluminum heat sink.

Nope!. Its not like that at all. Not in any way. Yours was a bad comparison.

Oh ok got it… that makes more sense.

Every gear-centric enthusiast forum revolves around these 3-4 principles of discussion:
>Technology and science
>Product testing, performance, evaluation review and comparisons
>Product usage philosophy, application and subjective preference
>Mods and customizations
>Rants and Raves

Nothing new here in that regard… although drone remote video reconnaissance is not commonly discussed (I don’t think).

Good Luck!!

Yeah, lots of useless replies here. I weed through it. Be helpful or dont but dont be the jokester. That helps nobody.

You didn’t ask a question, it was just a rant.

Not strange you get random opinions and reactions.

I fi love turbo boost, very useful sometimes.

There was actually some useful stuff posted. And lots of useless stuff. I can weed through it. Its the same in every forum. Some useful posts, lots of useless junk. Some just cant help themselves. My mouse has a scroll wheel.

Well, if you could keep clicking back to turbo…

It’d give new meaning to pix of “beamshots”…

Thermal or timed .

It is the most apt analogy provided. But folks don’t want to hear it, it makes them uncomfortable, because they like discussing HP, they want to discuss power in their car. But here, no, don’t make me think like that, I like that measurement (HP), I don’t want it to be relevant because I want to be upset about this one (output).

Battery capacity is the amount of gas in the tank
Lumens are the HP
Thermal mass (limit) is the speed limit.

More output, then I hit the thermal limit sooner; more HP, I get to the speed limit sooner. More battery capacity, more runtime; more gas, more runtime.

Like it or not the analogy is accurate.

No. Not at all but you mean well. You tried. And thats what matters.