Turning a cellphone light into a THROWER?......

Looks like it’s still in crowd fund mode. :money_mouth_face: Tried to get into the buy me part and the site won’t connect. IDK.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/basilico/flens-the-first-flashlight-booster-for-smartphones

PS. Just tried their relio.it order site again and got in. Looks like it’s sold out. Had one unit and three unit package deals apparently. Not quite sure how much they went for though. Oh well.

As long as it has USB-C charging I think you could get Enderman on board :slight_smile:

Might be easier to put a cell phone into a flashlight.

@chadvone, that could actually work very well if the phone had a large 5000mAh+ battery.

Come to think of it, with micro-USB OTG, I could only draw about 500mA from a phone’s USB port.

However, now, I can draw about 1,05A from a USB-C port.

At 5V, it would allow us to get about 500 lumens from it.

A dedomed SST-20 5000k could give us quite a bit of throw with it.

Did you notice the kickstarter dates are all from 2016 and they claim it’s fully funded?

Yeah well since most flashes are already shaped like a microphone and so then going from that it shouldn’t be too difficult. :laughing:

What holds it on?

:frowning:

Magnet

I think our top BLF’ers can design sumthing as good as and likely better than this Flens.

Also if you notice the magnets appear to attach to a bare metal fresh from factory outer case without an aftermarket protective cover affixed.

Those tiny looking magnets better be purty dam strong to hold that lens and its aluminum housing securely up against and through a fairly thick plastic type cover - which is sumthing the vast majority of $1,000 new cellphone owners buy first thing. So yeah, I’m skeptical on how ‘easy’ it attached over the LED.

Anyway, I think we can do better. :sunglasses:

Crx can. He’s a wizard.

1999: OMG DON’T GET THE MAGNET NEAR THE ELECTRONICS!

2019: Here’s a electronics accessory that literally attaches with a magnet

You reviewing your age.

Speaking of xenon flash capacitors (which could be in certain makes of cellphones) here’s an interesting/informative link to safely working around the little rascals. Even a dinky cheap 2xAA electronic flash camera’s capacitor can put ya 6’ under admiring daisy roots.

Btw old schoolers especially working around any capacitor will purty much never hold a positive and negative lead in separate hands. Always when it came time they’d do stuff with just one hand, ie., never closing a circuit across their chests. :open_mouth:

Part 1, Safely working with Xenon….etc.

www.repairfaq.org/sam/strbfaq.htm

I got myself with 360v from a xenon bulb cap one time. Probably the worst I’ve ever been bit.

I’ve had more belts than I care to recall being a spark :laughing:

Yeah, i salvaged a flash unit from a camera too, years ago…
It’s really unpleasant to touch the charged capacitor… :person_facepalming:
Oh, i still have the PCB here. (why?)
Big Rubycon 180 µF 330 V capacitor.

There’s also a sub-link under the above Xenon flash/capacitor site referencing all kinds of LASERS which I found informative considering LEP is now upon us.

IDK how up to date this info is butt likely an Enderman could elucidate.

http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/lasersam.htm

And this….

http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/laserfaq.htm

the idea is just bad

Cellphone and thrower excludes itself if you dont want to go back to 1995 Cellphone format

Obviously a lot more common things we use today have continuously gotten a lot smaller yet they’re way more powerful in many ways than watt feels like just ‘yesterday’.

Even ahem, flashlights. Their ever increasing compactiveness to performance ratios we see today aren’t bad ideas, right? Butt I would agree that using that analogy is too misapplied here.

So back to just cellphones. I gather it’s a bad idea becuz you don’t think it can be technically done and still keep cellphones as compact.

IMO I think it can be done, somewhat. It may not be like I said previously an MF02, butt I do think there’s a lot of improvement that could be made with cellphone light performance in general.

Throwing is just one of them. Much better CRI another. More mule output if uber throwing is out of the question. Bottomline is that IMO cellphone lights are woefully anemic.

Well, the proof is in the pudding. If one can overcome the technical barriers then maybe we’ll mostly shut up and just stand there in quiet awe like when we fired up our first 300 lumen 5” long LED flashlight up against our mighty 50 lumen 15” 4D incandescent MagLite. I remember that moment. :open_mouth: