TV-B-Gone Convoy C8?

https://www.amazon.com/Adafruit-TV-B-Gone-Kit-Universal-v1-2/dp/B00F06LGNY

I want to build one of these into a convoy C8 would it be difficult to reprogram a flashlight driver chip to run the code that cycles the TV power codes?

What is the most powerful IR emitter that I could buy?

Is there anyone that might be interested in helping me do this?

A longish range semi covert TV power cycling flashlight seems like something fun.

This emitter is 940nm

http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=294&search=IR&page=1

And this one is at 850nm

Both of these are already mounted on the right size board for a C8. Does anyone know which nm is better for interfacing with TVs?

This driver should be able to run those IR emitters with just 3 7135 chips. Does anyone have any experience reflashing the on board IC chip? Would I be able to have it single mode run the code for the TV-B-Gone continuously while on?

The code is open source here.

You could read through this old thread from several years ago. It was before my time here, and I’ve never read through it out of general disinterest. But, it seems that what you’re looking to accomplish not only can be done but already has. :wink:

I have build a C8 with more powerful 4716AS LED on DTP star flipping the battery positive to the tail cap
you could basically remote your TV half a mile or so with it

The main problem is the tiny driver cavity of the C8
AMCs might be too slow, better go with a small FET and resistor

also for a reflector light you need the 150° variant not the 90°, as the reflector collects lights from big angles
a 90° lens variant would mainly put the IR into the spill

but just taking the LED with a 20mm TIR would give you plenty of range

I would like to do 940nm, would this 150° variant be a good starting point for an emitter choice?

Sorry for being a noob and not finding that first before posting, thanks for finding that for me.

No problem. Some members would prefer a new thread instead of resurrecting an old one anyway. I hope you get everything working the way you like, then let us know how it turns out!