U3 stars different tints? NOW with pix!

oh ok, fair enough :slight_smile: I know that he said it was hard to get specific tints as opposed to broader codes (like the E3 code which is 3A-D), perhaps that has something to do with it.

thanks for the feedback on the host. I was after something relatively small and unobtrusive, so simple is good for me. It’s also more of an around the house+yard light, so throw isn’t that much of an issue.

Okay, I installed another 16mm U3, for a total of 2 20mm U3s and 2 16mm U3s. This U3 is consistent with 2 others; one of the 4 is kinda warmish, almost orangey. But that’s the only one. The others are all cool and BRIGHT!!!

This most-recent one updated a TACTICOOL (been waiting to use that word) uniquefire uf-2220, I didn’t notice until I finsihed that it supposedly had a U2 in it already. Ooops. But it is still brighter, so I don’t see how these can be anything but U3 emitters.

I matched the output on this light to the output on a no-name meritline C8 BEFORE the U3 upgrade, for the purpose of later comparisons. In other words, the 2220 output matched this C8 output in brightness. With a new U3, the uf-2220 now beats the meritline c8 hands down, so these U3s really are a worthwhile upgrade for T6s.

Of course, I did these U3 upgrades just in time for the new better XML-2 emitters to start showing up on BLF, literally today. Figures. Story of my life. Time it perfectly so that I buy something EXACTLY when a better alternative shows up.

Errrgggghh. Oh well. Have plenty of soldering practice now for the XML-2s!

But the U3 prices are good, and the product is super. Fasttech comes through again!

Where are XM-L2's today/ The T6's or U2? Did I miss something?

Oh - I'm also very happy with the FastTech U3's overall - great price, great increase - I did XM-L2 U2/SinkPAD and U3 1B-1C/SinkPAD upgrades and really not much difference.

>>>>>Where are XM-L2’s today/ The T6’s or U2? Did I miss something?

[quote=Ubehebe]
>>>>>Where are XM-L2’s today/ The T6’s or U2? Did I miss something? https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/16542
[/quote
]

Ohh - thanks! Ordered 3 from KD. By the time they arrive, things are gonna be different once again I bet... Cost is up there but will probably come down. I'd love an XM-L2 U3 1A/1B/1C...

While it is not obvious to measure the bins of leds inside lights, I can’t believe that no one ever considers that the stock budget lights come with xml’s that are just not t6 bins but lower. As I understand companies buy leds on reels with a mixture of bins. Guess where the lower than t6 bins end up eventually? Have you ever seen a light with a cool white xml t3 listed anywhere? Not that have any inside information…

While I don’t think Cree manufactures a T3 XM-L in chromaticity bins cooler than 4000k, I agree with what you’re saying. I assume that budget manufacturers skimp on design aspects when nobody’s looking, so the case of LEDs is a prime example; one simply can’t verify flux bin of an XM-L by looking at it.