U3 vs. XM-L2

Using existing T6 drivers, will the new xm-L2 emitters offer any lumen gain over the U3 emitter?

I searched BLF and found some “ifs” and “maybes,” but nothing definite. Well, one member said that he saw a 20% gain. Could have missed the definitive thread of course.

Theory aside, has anyone actually replaced an existing T6 star with an xm-l2 star?

I have been having great luck with replacing the venerable T6 emitters in some of my lights with U3s offered by Fasttech. 5-20% lumen gain (by eye), depending on the driver and other factors.

Now that the common 16mm and 20mm stars with xm-l2s are being offered by lck-led and others, I’m eager to try one or some. But then again, it sounds like they may need an atomic reactor for power to show any lumen gain over the U3.

I would enjoy seeing some voltage tests and lumen tests for both at various currents with a few samples in case the first emitter is an outlier, but that would be a large undertaking so i’m not sure it will happen

Yes, the emitter/star swap part of the mod increased output went from 475 lumens to 650 lumens… Intl-Outdoor USB Device Charger XM-L T6 Flashlight

>>>>>Yes, the emitter/star swap part of the mod increased output went from 475 lumens to 650 lumens…

THANKS FOR THE INFO!!! Now that 27% increase is nothing to shake a stick at.

Texaspyro, do you happen to remember the tailcap reading on that light? I wonder if I’ll get a big increase like that on a lackluster 2-2.5 driver. But 27% is almost worth changing out the driver for.

And where did you get the xml2 you used? (thanks)

Not having an integrated sphere (or scaru’s integrated bathroom), I don’t know what exact increase I’m getting from a U3. But I don’t think it was quite 27% like you got with the xml2. Maybe 20% tops with the u3. Some lights (like the TF X8 and a C12) were pretty extraordinary increases.

I’m guessing by eye. DEFINITELY noticeable and worth it. The XML2 sounds even better. Well, I’ll find out soon enough. Ordered 4 copper stars from lck-led for some tests of my own.

I REALLY want to replace the t6 in a ke-5, but they $#@#$%$ glue them in with epoxy or something, at least the two I tried. Nothing short of C4 was getting that emitter out.

The light came with a 2.4A driver and put out 415 lumens. I swapped it for a 3A driver and got 475 lumens. I then changed the T6/1A LED to the XML2/T6/3C from Illumination supply (mounted it on a copper sinkpad) and got around 660 lumens. Added a coated lens and got 725 lumens.

I've gotten excellent results with U3's on SinkPAD's, but always better for XM-L2 U2 on a SinkPAD, maybe 10% or so in compatible setups, but never did formal apples-apples testing.

I swapped out a couple of XM-L T6 3C for XM-L2 equivalents, but both lights are relatively low powered (1.5-1.8A). Still, I could just about see a difference in output, which isn’t bad considering how our eyes work. You should see bigger gains at higher currents. Lovely tint though - I’d take that any day over a brighter but bluer higher bin.