Ultrafire aa with clip host

Hey everybody. I want to buy this Ultrafire host with clip and one of E1320’s drivers. I’ve been thinking of using a neutral XP-G or XP-G2 to maintain a little throw. I’m concerned the reflector isn’t made for the XP-G and may not work correctly. What LED would you use and why?

I made two one with a 2.8 amp driver and a 3C tint XML on a 16mm star and it was very bright with lots of flood and another with a 2.1 amp driver and a Nichia 219 on a 10mm star it was also very bright with a lot of throw.

Use lots of flux to get the driver to stick to the pill otherwise the build is rather easy. Here is some more info. PS jacktheclipper has a 3.5 amp 3C tint XML monster I made him that he absolutely loves to death.

As I remember, CNQ once had a choice between reflectors for XR-E and XP-G, so the one that you made with the Nichia, was it with the XP-G reflector?

For some reason they discontinued the reflector option so I had to use the standard XRE/XML reflector. It did work fine for the Nichia/XPG but it was a little difficult to center the Nichia since it was on a 10mm star and the pill holds a 16mm hole.

Maybe I’ll go with the Nichia 219. I like the idea of better color rendition. Some of my lights are too cool and show color poorly outdoors, particularly in the woods. And if I ever get the UF-2100 I ordered from DD in July I’ll have an XM-L. Would it be better to file down the 20mm star to fit or mess with centering a 10mm star in 17mm hole?

I have ruined to many emitters trying to file them down. One slip with the file and you are all done. So I use the 10mm ones and take my time to center them properly.

I guess I can spin a little washer in the lathe to help center it for me if I go with the Nichia and 10mm star. You’d think it would be easier to pick a ten dollar part than this, but I still can’t make up my mind. Ok guys, if it was your build and you didn’t want cool white, what emitter would you choose?

Nichia. :) If you have a way to drive the XM-L to it's full potential then XM-L.

I have IMR and Li-Ion 14500’s so the battery shouldn’t be a problem. I plan to use a custom driver from one of our guys in the custom driver thread. Does that mean you vote for the XM-L scaru? :slight_smile:

Then yes, 7b tint to be specific.

I'd go for a nichia ..but i'm a kind of tint snob

Thanks for the recommendation scaru. I don’t see any 7b emitters but I found a 3c. The 3C may be what I’m looking for. I found this thread talking a little about a tint for woods use. I don’t really know much about tints, just that my warm MC-E is much nicer to use than the WC Q5 I have. Guess I’ll just have to try one out and see how it goes.

just be careful with the NW XM-Ls from CNC Quality Goods - I’ve only bought one from them (so not much of a sample size) but I needed to clean the dome and reflow it onto the star before I could use it. At least the one from Intl.Outdoors just needed its dome cleaning :frowning:

I’d recommend Illumination Supply, based on the few dealings I’ve had with them.