Ultrafire Cree XML problem

My toddling son was playing with my light and I hear this weird rattling sound and notice it’s no longer on. Can I fix this? I can’t get picture to load the led emitter has slid from center to 3/4 of the way to one side. It won’t move with light finger pressure at the moment. Any help is appreciated

Welcome to the forums.

The solder has probably melted from too much heat and the led moved when the solder melted. You would have to remove the led and star and reflow the led back in place, given that it is still any good. It could be shorted out, but you may not know till you fix the problem.

Also…. It will depends on the type of light and cost of replacement. Would it be worth it to do if the same light can be obtained cheaply?

Try to upload the picture to imgur.com, postimage.org or imagetwist.com.

If you’re lucky the lens bezel can be screwed off, giving you access to the emitter. You’ll have to remove the emitter along with its base by de-soldering the wires connecting it to the driver.
Then you can either replace it with another emitter from fasttech, leddna or wherever (<$5) or try to reflow the LED using a proper hot air station or other methods lazy reflow.
There should be a heat sink below the emitter base, if it’s not i.e. if the ‘pill’, the part housing emitter and driver, is hollow then that may be the cause of your problem.

Ok I’m not having luck with my pictures. But the base of it looks like a stamped out piece of aluminum. And the emmitter has slid 2/3 off the pad. Any idea where I could pick up a new emitter in under a week? It’s a red cree rated at 300 lumen but that may not be actual. But I do need it to be a red one In the meantime I’ll try my heat gun at sliding it back into place. Thanks fellas

You can test our emitter if it is working. Connect to 1 AA cell and see if that lights up.

If it is still functional, then you can try re-flow.

Search youtube for easy instructions.

Post up some pictures on photobucket and post a link, we can look there.

goodluck

I got it working, I left the emitter fully attached and used a small butane torch lighter to gently heat up the back side and let gravity slide the led back into place. I got very lucky it stopped sliding right in place and doesn’t seem to have gotten too hot. ( I only attempted this after I sourced a replacement ) LOL
Again thank you everyone for your help. These light get more and more interesting the more you play with them!

Nice effort on the repair job. Well done.

Not to be an a hole but be really careful with someone that young and powerful lights. It would only take a few seconds to do serious damage to young eyes.

Don’t want sound like dick just would hate to see little ones get hurt.

Glad you got it fixed.