UltraFire M5 CREE XPG R5 1-Mode Mini LED Flashlight(1*AAA)?

Welcome to BLF....

no it's an XR-E (probably Q5 as advertised)... I should whoop out my measuring equipment and do some amp-reading... but measuring isn't easy on those AAA twisties, so no promises that I succeed in doing so. The very cool white tint and that well calculated reflector are helping a lot in the perceived brightness. People are focusing too much on the emitter type and generation... a good driver is way more important imho, especially in the boost driver segment (1.2V/1.5V -> 3.6V). There seems to be a high PWM on all 3 brightness modes and the brightness difference between my XP-E and XP-G ITP A3 is nothing compared to the difference to the Brinyte. I only had the chance to check out the new Tank007 E09 for like 20 minutes. The main downside of the E09 are the low PWM frequencies and the ringy beam compared to the Brinyte. And even though I hate the 2 strobe modes and dislike the cool tint of the brinyte, the E09 has not the brightness and low PWM modes are like fast strobes to me... they bother me a lot. In that regard the Brinyte wins. The machining is better than anything that I have laying around here in AAA format and if someone replaced the "Brinyte" lable with "Fenix"... I would have no trouble believing it. I think you already saw the other thread. Maybe we should wait for Lensman's final judgement, if he has the same impression of the light as I do. I don't trust the quality consistency of budget Chinese manufacturer very much, but what I have read so far is promising. (not counting some issues with 10440)

Yep that's the one, but Kaidomain has it cheaper.

Thank you that is very helpful, i purchased a Brinyte PD03A as it is the brightest from what you say . I’m also looking for single or double AA torch if you no any that are particularly bright, i also want it also to be able to focus (zoom) the beam. The reason i want an AA torch is the extra thickness to fit in Fenix MC10 headband,

http://heinnie.com/product.asp?P_ID=6828

I’ve seen some with 3AAA batteries but they look to thick to fit the 18-22mm body diameter of the headband. What do you think, would that be a better option as far as brightness goes if it fit in the headband.

Thanks again for your help and knowledge

I have a hard time to recommend one budget light in the sub $25 department for an 1AA (on eneloops). When it came out the Hugsby P31/P32 was my overall recommendation, but there seems to be a inconsistency in the drivers of the light in the meantime ... 1AA-only lights ran only on 14500... so not as supposed. Maybe the Skyray S-A1 can be an option or any tested in this section . I personally use the Ultrafire H2B as angle light/headlamp it's not the brightest there is, actually it is quiet dim, but the totally even floody beam makes it the perfect closeup work light. The headband of the H2B is available cheaply at KD. Do you want mainly flood (closeup) or throw (medium range)? The very new Trustfire Z2 would probably be more throwy than the H2... Everbuying has it even cheaper, but they have an AVOID label here on BLF. 2 AA light are too large and heavy for headgear imho, so an 1AA with aluminium body is used best. Of the 3 zoom lights I have/had Romisen RC-29, Sipik SK68, C78 only the C78 is suited for headband use... at least for the cheapo headband I use... never owned the MC10 one. I don't know if you have seen it, but there is a Fenix MC-10 clone out there (also available in blue and yellow).... I think it's too big and heavy for headgear. ( I have access to the clone)

I want both a flood and a spot beam, this is why I want to be able to focus/zoom. I also want it to have different modes so it doesn’t blind me when climbing or doing close up things but at the same time go very bright with a spot beam so I can see as far as possible. Probably too many requirements for my budget.

I found many on ebay making some claims up to 600lumens but I don’t believe this at all, makes it very hard to research and choose.

I’m definitely looking for a single AA after what you said about weight, that’s very useful, thank again.

The H2 has free brightness ramping via digital switch, but is not suited for medium-far distances because it has no reflector/hotspot. If you want a light that does everything... you probably end up with a light that doesn't do any of those tasks to your full satisfaction. The only advice I can give you from my own experience... size/weight is about 3 times more important on headgear than when holding the light with your hands. I prefer angle lights, because sometimes you don't even need the headband... just clip it to your clothes... when the beam angle is wide enough.

Well in the end i bought several, in the AAA section i bought the Ultra Fire M5 R5, the Brinyte PD03A and a extremely cheep (£2.79 including postage) zoom model that doesn’t seam to have a brand. I have to say i am extremely impressed with all three, i cannot tell the difference in brightness between the Ultra fire or the Brinyte (only using AAA rechargeable) but i much prefer the Brinyte as it has a more focused spot so shines further but also has the different brightness modes so it works well on close range things without blinding me. I do prefer the look, feel and build quality of the Ultafire. Something i thought worth mentioning with my Ultrafire is there isn’t a gap between the light emitter and the reflector that you mentioned yours did. If i could get a reflector for this torch that wasn’t of the orange peal sort i think i would like it a lot more. Can you get different reflectors or is that just being silly for a £10 torch.

As for the cheep unbranded torch it works surprisingly well especially considering it hasn’t a reflector at all, the main downside to it i find is the light is a slight blue tint where the other two seam pure white (i was expecting the brinyte to have a slight blue tint as well but it doesn’t seam to which im pleased about) and when focused into a spot it shine further than the other two.

As for a AA torch to go in my headband i purchased a tank tk-566, this one in the link below, there seamed to be several with the same name at different specifications

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/tk-566-cree-xp-g-r5-200-lumen-5-mode-white-led-flashlight-with-strap-1-x-aa-1-x-14500-113171

I chose this after i did some research and some other people said it was extremely bright and with the smooth reflector im hoping it will shine great distances but also work short range with the brightness turned down. It hasn’t been delivered yet.

I also purchased this

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/nf-x8626-flood-to-throw-zooming-cree-q3-wc-3-mode-160-lumen-led-flashlight-w-strap-1xaa-1x14500-90382

Im not sure why

Thanks again for all your help and advice.

Oh one other thing, I’m planning on sticking a magnet to the bottom of some of my torches, i have these extremely powerful magnets of some magnetic darts, is there any way it could interfere with the light i any way. I read on the other forum of people sticking magnets on the bottom as some models come with them but i just wondered if there are magnets that are just so powerful they could damage or interfere with it in some way?

please let us know about this light

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/nf-x8626-flood-to-throw-zooming-cree-q3-wc-3-mode-160-lumen-led-flashlight-w-strap-1xaa-1x14500-90382

The 18650 version is on it's way to me and I was tempted to order that one, too.

It hasn’t actually arrived yet, I’m hoping it will turn up in the next few days, ill let you no.

Thanks for the feedback... much appreciated

Sounds that you received a nicer version of the Ultrafire than I did... lucky you. I suppose with your reflector having no gap, that yours would also have less rings in the beam as my one does.

My UF is dimmer than my Brinyte, but that might also have to do with the reflector gap.

I am really interested in how you like that light and how it performs. This version of the light is very new, because it has the updated R5 emitter. Please post some first impressions as soon as you receive it. Have you thought about getting the 2AA extension as well? (or order 2 extender to have it going with full power at 3X1.2= 3.6V... has anyone ever done that with a TK566?)

You are welcome, that's why we are here. Glad that you like the recommendations... it's always a bit tricky to recommend budget lights... you never know what you are gonna get... too much manufacturing fluctuations.

Have you seen this thread? At the end we are talking magnets... this should give you a rough idea what to use.

I finally received my torch but im not sure they sent me the correct one, it look identical but the number on the side of the torch says “NF 78626” and not “NF X8626”.

I really like the weight of the torch, it feels solid and heavy for its size. I like the zoom function where the bulb moves inside the torch, nothing extends on the outside.

It has a charging socket on it which i wsa supprised to see, i will never use it.

The main thing for me that i don’t like is the brightness, it just isn’t very bright, i have a Brinyte PD03A and that is so much brighter, the NF 78626 possibly can shine as far on its most focused and intense setting but then there is no flood at all, i normally don’t really care for flood lights but to have a smaller torch shining just as far and still giving a flood to some degree is just better in my mind. If it had a brighter bulb i would much prefer it. I want to find one

My Tank TK566 still hasn’t arrived which im disappointed about, its been well over a month now (i think).

As for my comments before saying the Ultrafire AAA i have is of better build quality than my Brinyte PD03A, i don’t no what i was thinking, nothing has gone wrong with either of them but the twisty mechanism feels more solid and a better seal when closed, the metal feels of better quality on the Brinyte, i still prefer the look of the Ultrafire and i think that blocked my proper judgement on first inspection. I really like the hexagon twisty part on the Ultrafire and the shorter thicker dimensions of it.

I am now going to by a 3xAAA torch as i seam to have become addicted to Cree torches, any suggestions, i want one that has a spot beam that can shine the furthest possable, am i better of getting an adjustable focus one like the one blow

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/romisen-rc-c8-cree-q5-wc-3-mode-210-lumen-convex-lens-led-flashlight-1-18650-2-cr123a-3-aaa-55750

or a non focus such as this one

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/romisen-rc-u8-cree-xp-er5-3-mode-350-lumen-convex-lens-led-flashlight-1-18650-2-cr123a-3-aaa-55751

I love the look of this one but i don’t think it uses standard AA or AAA batteries

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/trustfire-f3-3-cree-q2-wc-3-mode-600-lumen-tactical-memory-led-flashlight-1-18650-24975

any thoughts

I got the 18650 version this week. It isn't as bright as my slide zoomies either. the emitter isn't drawing as much current as they do.

if you unscrew the head (and it is like my version) you'll be able to see why.

the emitter is mounted on a heatsink but the heat can't pass to the body of the torch - it moves up and down on some threads when you twist the ring. so, it makes for a light that handles nicely, but can't be driven hard or will over heat.

careful when you unscrew the head, mine has a little clear plastic washer that fits between the lens and the head (instead of an o-ring, appparently). it would be easy to not notice and lose...

You can write DX a customer request were your stuff is. Don't forget the 45 days PP complaint limit.

The light with this special emitter (XP-G R5) is very new and newer products take often longer at DX.

The 3AAA format isn't getting much love from this forum, the total stored energy in 3AAA (700-900 mAh) is about the same as 1 good AA cell (2000-2700 mAh). I personally have 30+ lights and not own one 3AAA light because of that fact. I do own several multi AA lights like the SAiK SA-305 (3AA) , or some modified UF 504/Solarforce L2 with extension tubes. Those plastic battery carriers are the typical weak spot of those 3AAA/3AA lights. Romisen is one of the better budget light brands. The Fenix E21 (2aa) is a nice out of the box thrower for its size and a nice flashlight overall.

I have received my TK566 and the two extension tubes to enable it to take 3xAA. The first think I noticed was on the side of the torch it says XRE instead of XPG that was stated on the advert. The actual Cree LED has 4 emitters which makes me think it is an XPG, can anyone confirm for me that the XPG has 4 emitters and the XRE has 3.

Using the torch with just one AA battery it is much brighter than my AAA Brinyte PD03A which is probably to be expected as the Brinyte is my smaller in size even thought they are running at the same voltage, they are still comparable in brightness. Something I like about the TK566 is that the focus spot in the middle is a lot cleaner with sharper edges and this is the same for the larger flood ring.

With one extension added the torch gets noticeably brighter and with the third it increases a noticeable amount again to the point that if you have the Brinyte on at the same time you barley notice it, it hurts my eyes when the light reflects of the walls or any other object that maybe near. I will do some test outside at some point and let you no how it is over much larger distance.

Something I was impressed with was how deep the reflector is, far deeper than what it looks in the picture, I assume that helps it throw the light over a further distance. I presume there is a ratio of width to depth for the optimum reflector for throwing light over a long distance, or is it the case that bigger in any direction is better. If anyone knows I would love to know more information about this.

Any questions please ask.

Nice... could you post some pics? How much does the TK gain in brightness by each extension roughly?

If your emitter has 4 stripes... it should be an XP-G.

The width is generally more important for better throw. The best throwers have really wide heads. Beam characteristics/surface brightness of the emitter are important too. A good old UF C8 with an XR-E is still an incredible thrower... but it is not a pants pocket light any more (too big) and often the best throwers aren't a good all-purpose light.

Not double the amount with 2 AA compared to 1 AA but definitely a noticeable amount, when compared to the Brinyte PD03A with 1AA it is brighter but comparable (I hope that makes sence) if I put both beams focus on the same spot it gets brighter, if I do that when it is working with 2 AA you barley notice the light increase in brightness with the Brinyte PD03A as well (I hope that makes sence). When running with 2AA its really dwarfs it.

Maby 40%-50% brighter with each battery added on. This could be completely wrong. Ill try and upload some pictures soon.

Someone who loves a tank 566

..What's not to love ..

they are great with a Q4 ? lots of throw and a few rings

And better with a xpg ...neutral if you're doing it yourself

the drivers from tank are pretty good and the lights are always bright

the question is PWM ..my guess is it's still bad .. Tank loves bad pwm ..toobad because they have great spacing in modes too ..... the lows are low

After being so impressed with my TK-566 with 3 x AA i decided to purchase a TK-703 with 2 extenders to make it 3 x AAA and i am absolutely stagerred by how bright it is, on first look shining it at a wall approx 5 metres away it appears brighter than my TK-566, the beam is much more yellowie (spelling) with the TK566 that may mak it appear less bright than the TK-703 wich is much wighter (im not good at spelling colours), the batteries in the 566 were about 30 min use old but i cant believe it makes that much difference, with 3 x aaa i get around 1 hours 40 min before i notice it begin to dim. The 703 were new fully charged though they have been sitting for 2 weeks.

The 703 didnt impress me on 1aaa pertically but i haven’t compared it to the 566 on 1aa and i lost my other aaa torch (im definitely not going to try and spell that one see my previous post)
Right bed time

got my 3rd copy of it (0.68$ incl tracking lmao) today. interesting. the driver disc is GREEN (not RED). the soldering is cleaner, LED (again) off-center, the clip's finish is good this time, and wth my 47.1mm long Protected Gray Ultrafire easily fit! Comparing the 3 copies, i am coming to the conclusion that the culprit is the cheap rear spring. inconsistent quality. clearly, UF peeps used DIFFERENT springs, different driver discs and different LED boards to assemble the light, that's so typical budget light manufacturing philosophy! **** **!! (hehe, nobody knows what i just said!)

of course i am happy with this copy. even the tint is less greenish in 1:1 comparison. except for the off-centered emitter, this copy is a true winner. a keeper. my first accepted XXXFire copy in my vast collection of lights'n stuffz:

I am giving away the 2 other M5's to RL peeps. dino wants to play valedictorian .. erhh .. good samaritan! ;)

The light has been on the market for 2yrs and 3-4months. Can't believe that we bought such old **u**.

Where from?

dx