Ultrafire u-f11

I prefer small side switched EDC’s.
Anyone have one or know how it would go as a host for a triple build?
http://m.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_432139.html?wid=21
Thanks for your thoughts.

I have ordered one, I will update the thread once its here.

I got one a couple of weeks ago. Driver (diameter 17 mm) is press fit to pill, MCPCB diameter is 16 mm, LED looks like genuine Cree XM-L2. Pill is not screwed in. Reflector is screwed into the pill and both slides into the head. Momentary switch also seems to be press fit.

This is an old light design, known as the XP-11. I got two from way back in 2013. The body and pill are exactly the same. Here's a couple pics of my mods at the time:

WallBuys still sells it, w/XM-L T6 of course, before the XM-L2's came out, or got popular: http://wallbuys.com/Product/XP-11-CREE-XM-L-T6-700LM-5-Mode-Magnetic-Tail

Here's a thread on it: https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/22511

UltraFire branded - they upgraded the LED, dunno bout the UI - the stock UI was pretty bad. On the XP-11, the switch is real stiff. It's not protected for accidental activation, but takes a lot of pressure to engage it.

I wasn't a fan of this light - preferred the ZY-T11 clones at the time - did not care for the stiffness of the switch. The pill design is not great for modding, do-able, but you gotta wonder bout the heat mgt - it's press fit basically. Add some thermal grease in there and maybe it would do ok. Also the driver mounted of solder to brass is not ideal.

Amazing how these things get recycled then intro'd as new.

I got one just to play with a RGBW led, planning to use this board from Mattaus, not sure if this has been tested OSH Park ~ I also have a RGBW driver from KD. Needs to do a lot of learning. My thought from the pictures that is at least there is a shelf under the mcpcb!!, these days some of these cheapies do not even have a shelf under the led pcb.

It has a shelf under the PCB but the pill is not screwed into the head, it just slides in. It doesn’t fit tight so I don’t see good thermal contact there. The reflector is screwed into the pill though and has some contact at the top of the head, don’t know how much this helps. Careful with the thin wires from the momentary switch which go through a hole in the pill to the PCB. If they get damaged you have to take the switch out. It seems press fit, I don’t know yet how to do this.

I was looking at some copper tape and thought what if i wrap it around such pills, has any one done such a mod? i meant wrapping copper tape around the pill to get a better thermal contact?

Been doing it on P60’s for a good while. Works well.

Got the light and took it apart. I think its a decent side switch host, No hot roding potential though. I cut a few discs to stack behind the pill shelf to thicken it. Ordered some copper tape as well. Still waiting for the XML Color LED that will live in this host. the guys from FT sent me an empty MCPCB without the LED I ordered and went on for days trying to convince me that the MCPCB i received is indeed the correct product for the XML color led mounted on a PCB that I ordered. :slight_smile: