Ultrafire UF-H6 for 38$ !

I had my UF-H6 in its original state exactly 2 days / nights in use until I was sure that it is so useless to me.

POS:
small
very bright
good building quality

CON:
annoying PWM
excessive heat
small switch
very cool white

As I didn´t like the UI as well, I decided to hop or top: driver change, LED change, tailcap change with clickie.

In this configuration now my absolute favorite toy.

Sorry, no pictures at the moment.

I finally solved the long cells problem, with a very easy solution.

I used a 1mm thick wire, bent it to the round shape of the tail cap, and inserted it, it is tight against the walls, so there was no need to solder it.

Now all my cells fit.

Here you can see how it looks like:

Just got mine today from Manafont, and like some others have pointed out there’s “annoying PWM” … and I’ll go even further to state that is nauseating!

I’m sensitive to PWM, and this flashlight is the worst I’ve ever seen - it even uses PWM in high mode which is terrible.

I’m not happy that Ultrafire didn’t even know what PWM was … I e-mailed them to enquire before purchasing one, and they could not answer my question.

Its nicely designed and looks cool, but I can’t use it due to the PWM … I think this is going to be gift for someone.

Is this the same light that was highly recommended in the thread where the guy was looking for a good head lamp? Thought it was the best for the money ect (if Im thinking of the right light). Was gonna pick one up just for hands free use but the cons don’t sound so hot at $40 price point for something I dont NEED (more like would be nice to have in case).

Well, are you sensitive to PWM?

My replacement arrived today. So far, my experience with the ultrafire-shop has been very good.

Good one !!!!! Thanks .............

mine just arrived today from manafont. not my style. does everybody’s light turn on at low mode first. and has no memory?
and i dont like the fact that you cant swivel the light up and down.

this light is for sale if anybody wants a brand spankin new light and you can now save on shipping times and a few bucks. pm me if interested

Well, yes and no. The mode sequence is off-low-med-high-turbo-off, but you can turn off the light by long press, which also enables memory -> the mode is remembered when you turn the light back on.

Swiveling up & down is done by turning the light in the rubber holder.

ohh ok, that makes it somewhat better. but its still up for sale or trade if anybody’s interested

I see they have the King for $50 too, but cant see shipping charges?

How much was postage?

ill sell you mine for $33 shipped…i live in the bay area california. much faster shipping time

So I just ordered an H3. It still hasn’t yet arrived, then I saw this… Okay, so now I have both on order. :slight_smile:

So my UF-H6 just arrived!

Just 7 days from ordering… that’s GREAT!

I have compared the two, and I have a few quick observations:

H3: 90 degree flood with no observable hotspot.
H6: some flood, but with a highly pronounced hotspot as well.

H3: Fairly bright, great for all around general nearby usage.
H6: MUCH brighter, plus plenty of throw, able to see far greater distances.

H3: Magnet in the tail! :slight_smile:
H6: NO MAGNET IN THE TAIL. :frowning:

H3: Smooth ramping brighness control…. takes a while to adjust to the desired level, and impossible to stop it at exactly when it’s the brightest or dimmest…. (why no pause in ramp change at full high and full low?!?) Ultra slow blink mode if you double click.
H6: Four conveniently spaced brightness modes, plus blinky if you double click.

H3: Clip is screwed on, and MUST be removed to properly install the light in the headband, thus rendering the clip pretty much useless… or the headband, you pick.
H6: Clip has a quick attach feature, and swivels around the light, thus allowing it to remain installed during headband usage! Far superior clip design.

H3: Annoying PWM on ALL brightness. (I assume I am not perfect at stopping the ramp at EXACTLY high —- doubly annoying.)
H6: Annoying PWM on ALL brightness. (Yes, including high!)

As a side note, the H6 is clearly EVEN BRIGHTER when used in “flashy” mode. I assume that they needed to limit high mode because of heat dissipation, this thing is tiny, and it gets hot quick.

The first two of these beamshots clearly illustrate the difference in brightness of both on high. It is SUBSTANTIAL.

H6 on High @ 1/180th sec F4

H3 on High @ 1/180th sec F4

The second two beamshots are also high mode, but I left the shutter open longer to allow a more detailed look at the flood. The brightness of the H6 is lost in the overexposure, so do NOT use these two as comparison of brightness in the center of the hot spot, but the flood area will compare properly.

H6 on High @ 1/30th sec F4

H3 on High @ 1/30th sec F4

These beamshots were taken at around 2-3 foot range, because the H3 flood is so wide at anything more the photos were useless.

So… the million dollar question… which one do I like more?

It’s not a really clear answer on this one. I think I lean towards the H6, because of the superior brightness, better clip, and better mode setup. That being said, the H3 has a magnet in the tail, and the full flood could be quite handy in many situations.

Hope this helps your future decisions!

Thanks ChiggerPepi for your side by side comparison! I like it.
It`s good to see/read the difference between these 2.

Now you have 1 for both worlds, if you need more throw and brightness, you use the H6, if you need more flood, the H3!

PROS

Zebralight

1. Orange peel reflector

• The orange peel reflector gives off a more neutral/natural looking light with a bigger hot spot. It also has less of a dead spot in the middle of the hotspot.

2. Recessed switch

• This feature prevents the light from accidentally turning on in your pocket. The switch is also very responsive and easy to press.

3. Lighter weight and smaller package

• The Zebralight weighs only 1.24oz without the battery which is .63oz less than the Ultrafire (1.87oz). The images also clearly show that the Zebralight is shorter and slimmer than the Ultrafire.

4. Headband quality

• The superior quality of the Zebralight headband is also apparent. The elastic band is sturdier and looks cleaner. I have inserted and removed the flashlight into the rubber piece many times without any trouble or ripping.

5. Longer run time in turbo mode/ overall

• Zebralight claims 2.3 hrs of run time between turbo and H1 mode while the Ultrafire only claims 1.8 hrs on full brightness. Not sure how the extra run time is achieved since they both have the same battery/LED setup. This might be due to a better reflector, better head dissipation, or more efficient circuitry.

6. Heat sink design around the head

• The Zebralight gets 2 additional minutes in the brightest mode (turbo). I presume this is due to better heat sinking which is noticeable when looking at the head.

Ultrafire

1. Price

• At $38, I don’t think that anyone will argue that this light is not a good deal. When considering price, you must account for the fact that you will have to order a replacement headband from Zebralight as soon as the Ultrafire one breaks. This will add an additional $7 to the price bringing the total to $45 dollars. This is still halve the cost of the Zebralight.

2. Comes with pocket clip

• This is quite a big advantage as it allows the light to be clipped to your belt or shirt pocket. I can’t believe that Zebralight does not include one with the H600.

3. Glow in the dark ring around the reflector

• The ring around the reflector glows in the dark on the Ultrafire. This is a great feature as it allows you to locate the light in complete darkness. In my opinion, the glow is quite noticeable in a dark room.

CONS

Zebralight

1. Turbo to medium setting

• There is one major flaw that I have noticed with the Zebralight H600. If the flashlight is accidentally switched into turbo mode from the H1 setting and the battery is getting low, the flashlight will automatically switch itself into one of medium modes. It will not allow you to go back to the high mode without inserting a fresh battery

2. No pocket clip despite having rings

• I really wish the H600 would have included a pocket clip. Some of their other models include them. I guess Zebralight thinks that this flashlight should only be used as a headlamp.

Ultrafire

1. Headband quality

• The headband broke the first time I inserted the flashlight into the rubber loops (see pic). This is completely unacceptable. At least the Ultrafire fits nicely into the Zebralight headband. When ordering this Ultrafire flashlight, I would recommend that you order a replacement headband from Zebralight at the same time.

2. False Advertising

• Everything on the web that I have read says that the Ultrafire is 700+ lumens and has an output current of 2.2A. The box it came in tells a different story however. (500 lumens at 1.8A) I believe that box to be a more accurate number as the Zebralight at 750 OTF lumens clearly appears to be brighter. (see pics)

3. Shipping time

• I had to wait a month to receive the Ultrafire from China. Until this headlight starts being stocked locally, I would say this is a huge drawback.

4. Switch quality

• The switch on the Ultrafire is harder to press and less responsive.

5. Memory function

• The memory function takes too long to engage. The switch is somewhat hard to press and the wait time is a full 2 seconds. I would rather cycle through all the setting when turning the light on then activate the memory function.

Conclusion

The Zebralight is lighter in weight, brighter (more lumens), emits a more natural looking light, and has a longer run time. The Ultrafire is halve the cost and provides you with a pocket clip. If you don’t mind waiting the extra time for shipping and ordering a Zebralight headband, the Ultrafire seems to be a quality headlight at a bargain price. I do not regret purchasing either of these flashlights but I personally like the Zebralight much more.

I could not get my pictures to load so below is a link to my album:

https://picasaweb.google.com/103636746678593039836/ZebralightH600VSUltrafireUFH6

Great first post, welcome :slight_smile:

Very useful review. Thank You !

It seems that Ultrafire might have reduced the current to the LED. This other thread shows a box with 700 lumens and 2.2A. I wonder if they were having issues with the LEDs burning out.