Ultrafire X8 UV Mod

Hello everyone,
I think I first want to make a more simple uv flashlight mod.
Will this UV LED emitter fit the Ultra Fire x8 flashlight?:

UV ledemitter

Specs on the flashlight:

Features:

100% Brand New CREE XM-L T6 LED Flashlight Torch

Made of high quality 6061T aluminum alloy, this flashlight is sturdy and durable enough for long time daily using

Lamp base: CREE, high power LED. With a lifespan of up to 100,000 hours or more.

No need to consider replacing the cap for the whole life.

Waterproof, but don’t put it into water long time

Super Bright, blinding Effect

5 Mode: high / middle / low / strobe / sos

Bulb: CREE XM-L T6 LED

LED Quantity: 1

Battery Configurations: 2 x 18650 battery (not included)

Voltage Input: 3.6v-4.2.v

Material :Aluminum Alloy

Lighting time :2-3 hours

Battery charging time: About 3 hours

Lighting Distance: 100 - 200 m

Max output: 1000 lumens

Power by: 2x 18650 3.6v/3.7v Battery

Size(mm):245(lengh) x 47(bezel)/35(body)

Weight (g): About 300g

Package Includes:

1 x UltraFire x8 1000LM CREE XM-L T6 LED Flashlight Torch

Note: I should give around 2800 - 3000 mAh in current output

The UV LED that you linked is a generic 395nm one…not really useful.
I think you’ll prefer a good UV emitter in the 365nm range, which will make all fluorescent and organic material pop.
I’ve bought one from here and you can see my results here .
If you want to throw some UV light far away, you can use a C8 host from Simon and a driver .
Keep in mind that this emitter has a max current rated at only 700mA so you’ll have to remove one 7135 chip from the driver or you’ll fry the LED.

If you want a close range UV light, chose an S2+ host and you can add a filter to cut visible light

I actually tested the led listed in the OP, it really can handle 2800mA and it puts out an impressive amount of 400nm light:

It will work in any single 18650 flashlight. Perhaps easiest will be this host because it is cheap, good quality and will accept the 20mm star that your led is on, and a standard 17mm driver: https://www.fasttech.com/products/1618/10002463/1277400-convoy-m1-diy-edc-led-flashlight-host
For a driver you can use this one, also from Fasttech: https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10001683/1122302-8-amc7135-4-group-25-modes-led-flashlight-driver-c.
Just screw the ledboard in place (preferably with a tiny layer of thermal paste under it) , solder the wires to the ledboard, solder the provided spring under the driver board, and fix the driver with the provided screw-in brass ring. There should be a small plastic led centering ring with that flashlight but it is not shown.

Sorry, I did not respond to the Ultrafire flashlight that you mentioned above. There are inconsitancies in the description (mention of 2 batteries in series, but a voltage input of 3.6-4V), and in general with chinese descriptions you never know what current you get until you recieve the flashlight and measure it. I would not easily go for 2 batteries in series: it is a bit more risky (li-ion battery use comes with some safety concern), it makes your flashlight bigger, and it is totally not needed for the led and current you use.

#X3 I need an uv light in the range of 395 - 405nm or 410 - 420nm. It’s for Baltic Amber searching, which is the best wavelength for that. 365nm do not work(although I have seen, that other types of amber from other parts of the world glow very well under 365nm)… I have tested that years ago, with the first uv lamp I bought. Since then I have bought several chinese flashlights in the 395 - 420 nm range - and they work very well for Baltic amber searching at the beach.

#djozz
Sound good about the Epileds 5050 XML 10W UV Purple 395NM - 400NM Led Emitter Lamp Light 3.4-3.8V 2800mA :) :) - thanks for the review of it :sunglasses: :+1:

I do not know if I understand you correctly. Are you saying that the driver of the Ultra Fire x8 flashlight does not work for Epileds 5050 XML 10W UV Purple 395NM - 400NM Led Emitter Lamp Light 3.4-3.8V 2800mA ??
According to this: Link>> it has a Voltage Input of 3.6v-4.2.v.
But is it because the flashlight / driver only provides 1800 mA according to this ??: Link Ultrafire X8 Circuitry
…that I have to use the diver, as you are referring to: djozz driver ??
Kind regards
Michael Larsen, Denmark

I do not mind that the flashlight is long and big, as long as the operating time is as long as possible as it is nice when I go and search for amber in the night

Kind regards

Michael Larsen, Denmark

Well, you can buy a full C8 or S2+ from Simon with a reliable 2800mA Nanjg 105 driver already installed in there, then just swap the LED with an UV one.

You have indeed the better idea, that saves you a lot of work, now you just have to change the ledboard and that is all there is to it… But I would not buy the Convoy C8 because it uses a 16mm ledboard while the UV-led is mounted on a 20mm board. The Convoy M1 has already a 20mm board and is therefore the better choice:

On the web page choose for 7135x8 for the correct current. I hope you are able to buy on Aliexpress by the way?

Michlar, it sounds a bit pedantic but I think it is the right choice: just buy the Convoy M1 and swap the led. It will leave you with an easier to make, smaller and much better flashlight than the one you linked above.

It will probably even have a pretty good runtime because the driver is more efficient than the Ultrafire one. Also buy some good panasonic NCR18650B 3400mAh batteries for it (nkon.nl is cheap and has good shipping fees). One battery lasts you more than an hour, take as many batteries with you as the hours you are planning to use it (carrying batteries is always more lightweight and compact than carrying a bigger flashlight).

One soldering advice: on the ledboard, solder the ledwires as far to the side as possible to clear the reflector: the reflector is aluminium and you do not want to make a short!

I approve the M1 choice, I didn’t think about the 20mm star.

You may want to check out Hestbech’s threads if you are interested in amber searching (if you haven’t already seen them):

A lot of conversations on the subject…

Yes indeed, I made him a 400nm C8 flashlight at the time that he apparently succesfully used for amber searching, but this new XM-size Epileds 2800mA led puts out way more light than that one!

Thanks a lot guys :slight_smile: :+1:

#djozz
The project that you mentioned in #3 Host: https://www.fasttech.com/products/1618/10002463/1277400-convoy-m1-diy-edc-led-flashlight-host + driver: https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10001683/1122302-8-amc7135-4-group-25-modes-led-flashlight-driver-c
…is it not the same and just as good as the one you mention in #8 : http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-Convoy-M1-Cree-XM-L-U2-1B-2-Group-3-5-Mode-LED-Flashlight/826041552.html?spm=2114.01010208.3.2.sFuk1E&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_0,searchweb201602_2_10037_10017_405_507_10033_10032,searchweb201603_11&btsid=9aa4c4fa-0749-4247-95af-963ed68079bb ??

It’s just that, if the product exceeds a price of DKR 95 = around USD 14.4 then I must also pay import duty of DKR 160 = around USD 24 plus the VAT. But if I buy the host separately here:

Convoy M1 NEUE Version DIY Integrierte Leiter LED Taschenlampe Host Sale - Banggood Deutschland-arrival notice-arrival notice And the driver here: https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10001683/1122302-8-amc7135-4-group-25-modes-led-flashlight-driver-c
…. Then I will not have to pay import duty or VAT on the products :smiley: :wink: stupid Danish tax - and customs rules :confounded: (It’s because they are from outside the EU)
But if the one in #8 is better together with the 2800ma LED, then I’ll have to pay the xtra money.
Kind regards
Michael Larsen, Denmark

I have a Convoy M2 with a QLITE REV.A 3.04A driver in my “surplus” box, it’s yours if you pay the shipping.

I believe the max amount is DKK 80 before you have to pay.

Michlas never mentioned it (or thought about it) but the m2 has a bit wider beam than the m1 (and the c8 narrower even). So with amber searching what is best?

According to this review of the M2 the M1 has a wider reflector ?

For Amber searching I think it is best, when the light can cover as much beach/ground as possible……and the light must be as evenly distributed as possible instead of being centered / having all the power in the middle … and then be weak into the edge of the beam.( I hope you understod me :smiley: )

Kind regards
Michael L.

You don’t want a thrower…so like I said your best choice would be a tube light, ideally an S2+.
The wider the reflector, the narrowest the hot spot.
You want flood ? chose a small reflector, or better, a TIR optic (though I don’t know how the PMMA of the TIR will react to 400nm UV)

#khas
You’re right. I just read up on it at skat.dk. I must have been lucky as I sometimes bought items that cost around DKR 90. And I’ve always thought that it was DKR 95 excl. freight :smiley: . I have only been taken 1 time , but it was also an item that cost DKR 600 :smiley: lucky me :smiley: Thanks for info :+1:
Kind regards
Michael L.

#khas
3.04A driver …is that not too much/ or not ideal for an 2,8A led emitter?
Kind regards
Michael L.

I think the Convoy M2 will be a good choice then, nice offer, khas!

@X3 :I agree that an S2+ could have the right performance, but it only accepts 16mm diameter ledboards, while the led of the OP is only for sale on a 20mm board. You and I can transfer a led from the 20mm board to a 16mm board in two minutes, but if you don’t have experience with that, it is easy to ruin a led and a board trying it.