Ultraviolet Emitters

-yes, the cheap one lists power consumption, the Nichia ā€˜radiometric outputā€™, you can not use the lumen because the lumen measures visibility by the human eye and 365nm is completely invisible, it would be always zero lumen. Output of the 3W led could be 500mW though if it is any decent. 500mW is very ok for a 365nm led, although the latest ones emit 1000 mW, some even more. The cheap ones that I have seen thusfar emit apart from the UV quite some visible light that may obscure the fluorescence light that you want to see when using the UV (the visible light from the led may be blocked by using a UV-pass filter in front of the led, like a ZWB2 or UG1 filter). Nichia 365nm leds are known for emitting very little visible light aside from the UV.

-measuring UV is not straightforward unless you buy a special device for it. I myself have devised a makeshift method by measuring copier paper fluorescence in a standardised way, but I do not claim a great accuracy.

-from around 300nm and up standard glass will transmit close to 100%, but the 280nm deep UV leds need quartz glass (other name: fused silicon), indeed polycarbonate has a cut-off around 400nm, PMMA is a little lower, it transmits most of the 365nm radiation.

Thanks dj. Just to confirm. Is this, this is the mcpcb I would need

For this emitter right?
http://www.leds.de/en/High-Power-LEDs/Nichia-High-Power-LEDs/Nichia-SMD-LED-UV-NVSU233A-without-PCB-emitter-395nm.html

those UV LEDs are very sensitive for overheating and have a way lower thermal damage temperature than white or blue LEDs

you want a DTP star or at least a copper star with a thick layer of copper to spread the heat
if you use a DTP star you can heatsink the cathode way better, but you have to insulate most hosts from the PCB with a Kapton tape or similar stuff

For some reason even though I am using 395nm (from a reliable source) I managed to wreck some LEDs and optics today.

Iā€™ve been using plastic fresnel lenses with these and had no problem so I sort of assumed this would work too, but I guess not LOL :slight_smile:

I wonder how a LEDLIL cute-3 would react to hi power 365nm? Its made of PMMA (Acrylic) vs. Carclo's Polycarbonate (PC).

Silicon seems to be the standard material for UV optics. There is a link to this page from Nichia's UV page.

Nichia UV LEDs Optics on the pricier ones are made from glass

and dedoming those is no problem, as they are just 4 tiny glue spots

wow, how hard were you driving the leds?

[quote=djozz]

Are the clear polycarb glasses what is needed for the 280nm as well?

EDIT: Also when you say the 280nm ā€œneedsā€ Quartz glass what effect are we talking about if I were to try and pass it through standard glass? Loss of ā€œsomeā€ light? ā€œMostā€ light? Serous danger like the lens could explode etcā€¦?

Yes, for 280nm you want the polycarb glasses as well, the wavelength is more harming to your eyes (and skin!) than 365nm, but luckily the leds at 280nm put out way less light, typically a few mW (although there are recently 280nm leds out there with 70mW output)

All normal types of glass transmit very poorly at 280nm, only a few percent.

What kind of accuracy are we talking here? Good enough to tell if anything was gained by driving a high power emitter an extra 500ma harder?

Have you tried any of the actual meters before?

No, I have not tried a standard meter, they are quite expensive, Iā€™m not sure if they are much more accurate, and I do not that many uv-led tests. And I like my amateur-way :smiley:

My method has three flaws: 1)it is not calibrated to anything, 2)it is somewhat sensitive to beam profile, 3)during tests the paper shows some bleaching so the output at the highest currents read a bit lower than they should.

Still an extra 500mA should be measurable, in fact I think the current at which the maximum output is reached is measured quite reliably.

I own a laser power meter that works by measuring the absorbed heat on a 19mm surface

it is possible to measure UV/IR LEDs radiant power with it

Iā€™m wondering if this would work?
https://www.amazon.com/General-Tools-UV513AB-Digital-280-400/dp/B002JOR0JO/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Is this method something your willing to share with the class? :student:

Oh yes, sorry, I should have added the link, I posted it last year, and even forgot to add it to my djozz-test post:

Does anyone know if there is a standard distance that UV is measured at. Like when we measure white light in CD? I have a UV meter now any it measures in cm/2, but Iā€™m not sure how far away I should be or if there even is a standard.

UV is measured in radiant flux, and radiant intensity for a specified angle

What do you want to measure?
Only relevant units for measurents of UV lights are peak wavelenght in nm, power consumption in W and Luminous flux in lm.
Luminous intensity doensā€™t matter with UV, but beam angle does. Since most UV flashlights are throwers, the very small amount of flooders is interesting for practical use when searching areas.

Examples for measurements are to find here:
taschenlampen-forum.de/threads/gro%C3%9Fer-tlf-uv-vergleich-13-verschiedene-lampen.47881/

UV emitters have no LUX
all manufactors give only radiant flux in mW below 450nm

the efficiency of good LEDs is about 35-40, while crappy LEDs have usually below 20 efficiency

Milliwatts per square centimeter is what I have been using. I can just point the light source at the meter and get this, but no where in any of the documents I have found is a standard distance from the meter this is suppose to be measured.

How did you come to use mW/mĀ² and what do you expect to gain with this combination?
Since specs for emitters are public, you could just calculate this data.

As you couldā€™ve seen, Peak and wavelength are measured. measuring the power consumption can give some information about energy of the LED.
http://www.taschenlampen-forum.de/media/ledengin-ohne-filter.16690/