Under counter kitchen lights

I’ve been lurking around these forums for quite a while. I’ve purchased a few more lights than I really need but I’ve kept them all stock. I was interested in trying a little modding so I went out and bought a soldering station from Hobby King. A few weeks ago, somebody posted a deal for some SMD 3528 LED strips. I picked a few up and thought I’d give it a try. The important pieces finally all arrived yesterday so I spent the evening learning how to solder and putting things together. I’ll have to say things were pretty ugly to begin with but the soldering got a lot nicer looking after I’d done a few. I didn’t get the entire kitchen done but I did get one corner. I know it isn’t anything amazing but I was still excited and wanted to show off what I’d done and say thanks for the help. Even though I don’t think I asked any specific questions on this, you guys were a lot of help from reading other posts.

That really brings the bench to life. Looks like this is the start of bigger things to come. What did you use to power them? I’m not showing my wife though, not only will she want lights fitted but a kitchen as nice as yours to go with it.

Like your counter tops more. Very classy looking kitchen.

Very nice work. Is the controller dimmable? Any chance of a pic of the actual strips and the power supply?

Did the same some years ago. Some cold white strips, would have to check what LED size but it is some average LED and LED count. The really powerful ones cost considerably more.

Runs off a 12V/2A Chinese switching power source, lights are maybe around 1.4A if I remember, 2m strip put in 2 lines. Some of these can be noisy though, we have a few so I just picked those that do not whine.

2 wire cable + a light switch.

The strips may not hold well or not on all places, sometimes they need to be secured, especially the ends. Hot glue sometimes works but you can also hammer in some plastic holders if you like.

Or use a cover/holder full length, maybe even with a heatsink, for the strips, pricey and not needed. Can be useful if the lights are at a visible place or you need to cover exposed strips.
Mine are covered in silicone. Hence water/splash proof.

bawilson2: can you link the deal, I will check prices

I just received that controller. Are they rgb leds?

There are all types of LED stripes, with different LED sizes/types, colors, tints, RGB, RGB controlled per segment too.

You don’t need a controller for kitchen lights haha. Just hook it up to 12V power source with an on/off switch.

The remotes work, but suck. They all use one code so if you have multiple they all interfere. They use PWM that is of a very low frequency, I have RGB with a remote controller but all I use is max output white or minimum output red.
I don’t like low frequency PWM, it’s annoying.

There are many controllers though, maybe some are better. Mine is the tiny one and probably the basic cheapest model. Works though and has 3*2A output.

Yes +1! I'd love to see how you powered it and where/how you wired it. Also, did you run multiple sets in parallel or what? Looks great!

-Garry

I’ll get some pictures together and show you what I did after the kids get in bed. Don’t judge me with the soldering job though!

I'll tell her for ya MRsDNF! Not a problem. Tongue Out

Nice looking output on the lights... Sure makes a difference!! Thanks for sharing.

Dan.

So I’ll be the first one to admit that the things I bought probably aren’t the hightest quality but they’ve seemed to work out pretty well for me so far.

Here’s a link to the power supply, the remote, and the lights:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-100-240V-To-DC-12V-6A-Power-Supply-Converter-Adapter-for-Led-Lights-Strips-US-/310521145626
http://www.ebay.com/itm/11-Keys-RF-Wireless-Remote-Mini-Controller-Dimmer-for-Led-Single-Colour-Strip-US-/161143412500
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5M-Cool-White-Non-Waterproof-3528-SMD-Flexible-LED-Strip-Lights-300-Leds-New-/190890720470

The LED’s where a deal posted here:

Here’s a few more pictures:

Thanks, we just moved into the place and are loving it.

The controller is dimmable. It does all sorts of blinky modes too but those aren’t good for much in this situation other than inducing a seizure. Probably is some PWM on the low modes but that isn’t something I notice a ton so I haven’t seen it and doesn’t bother me if it is there. I didn’t have any noticeable sound with any of the components.

These ones are just single color white.

I did a lot of chopping of the strip to get it to fit where I wanted. I have the power supply up on top of the cabinets and then one feeder line down to the lights. From there I ran each of the three strips of lights in parallel.

Ah yes, the subtle wonders of installing under-counter LED lights: Hera halogen counter light Nichia 219 retrofit

Looking at ebay:

$4.19, 5m, 3528, 60 leds/m, cold white or any other color, non-waterproof

These are good, but personally I would go for a 120 leds/m or 5050s. It may be cheaper though to use more side by side 3528s at 60 leds/m.

$9.98, 5m, 3528, 120 leds/m, non-water, white, …

$10.90, 5m, 5050, 60 leds/m, non-water, white, …

I just checked our lights and they are both 5050s. The one in kitchen is 2m of 5050s on a 2A power source. Waterproof, they call it epoxy in one video. No problems here with loss of power or discoloration. They do get dirty in the kitchen, dunno how uncovered ones would cope. Silicone is nice, but without adhesive and probably more expensive. Although I think they also sell some plastic or is it the silicone? Covers.

There are different outputs as well, the chinese/ebay ones are the weakest…
Difficult to the get more powerful ones, gotta shop locally in US/EU and pay more for those.

So watch the rating if they even list it, on ebay the lumens listed are a mess. Chinese descriptions are almost as if there were none.

I have installed some of the 300 LED strips before for me and once for a job. IMO I would suggest the double density (600 LEDs per 5M) for under the cabinets or double up the 300 LED strips. I feel you would have better task lighting and the 300 are a little dim for my taste.

Beautiful! Good job

Have any of you looked at “remote phosphor” setups?

I’m going to try this — basically use blue LEDs behind the phosphor, with an air gap, so the LED doesn’t cook the phosphor over time. Remote Phosphor Offers Alternative to White LEDs | DigiKey

The material isn’t particularly expensive:
http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en/optoelectronics/optics-remote-phosphor/525582

If I don’t get to homebuilding it for a few months, this Kickstarter company

will be shipping their plug-in lights, not quite yet available — single/chainable 110v units, containing power supply, leds, and phosphor sheet.

(and then I can use the phosphor I get to build super-floody flashlights ……)