UPDATE! groupbuy: Lumintop EDC05C - first 100 pcs only US$29.99

looks like a cool light, so it has a built in battery ? banggood says this

The above approximate parameters are lab-tested with the built-in Lumintop 3.7V/750mAh 16340 Li-ion battery,

?

You have to use your own battery.

but built in means what then? im confused…

its the blue bezels they have copied a little, olight are known for many models using blue bezel and blue ring with button, s1 baton, r50, x9r etc etc… its kinda obvious where lumintop got the design idea from, but it is what it is…

if i would masked the lumintop logo and posted in the olight facebook thread, nobody would believed it would be a lumintop lol…

Probably a Chinese to English translation error.

You unscrew the battery cover and put your 14500 in. Then it screws back on. Tom E posted pictures of the battery cover.

yeah makes sense, thought it was weird its gonna take a 14500 and yet has a built in 16340… ok

I saw it and figured probably a copy/paste error - it makes no sense whatsoever. More important is I'd love to know what they really used, and how they tested it because I got 418 lumens at best, they got 500. My 418 is about 368 ANSI (-12%), so I was trying to give them the benefit of my calibration based on manufacturer ratings.

I asked Lumintop for the correct specs as banggoods listing has several unclear points.

as soon as I get those I change my posts and ask banggood to do the same

I got confirmation that AA (both Alkaleaks and NiMh) are not supported by the boost driver !

the need to underline NOT to charge those in the flashlight caused a missunderstanding in the preliminary manual which was used for the listing and description.

Sorry for any confusion caused by that!

i updated the OP with the actual specs i got today

That is a pity, this the 2nd 14500 Lumintop flashlight(i’m including the GT Micro) in a row without AA capability. This one with AA capability was too good to be true!
Sorry Martin but i’ll have to pass.

The Micro is direct drive 3v just like the Mini, no boosting going on there. Impossible to use a lower voltage.

You really like AA? What is the appeal?

I know it’s FET+1 driver like the mini but apparently with two PCB’s instead of one but i had hope it used a boost converter.

I wanna give my father two flashlights one to inside use and other for outside use, this two fit that but i want to keep it simple if he forget to recharge Li-Ion or NI-MH and can swap-in Alkalines. So that is the appeal.

shame only 14500, would be neat if it supported AA also for those that want longer runtimes and a bit lower lumens.

I have no problem using 14500 Li-ion cells. The flashlight is rechargeable and the cell can only be replaced with a tool. Only hands can not unscrew the cap. There is no problem buying one more Li-ion cell 14500 for replacement. I will not cancel the order.

Lumintop told me they will try to make a AA compatible version too this year.

I totally understand if some cancel their pre-orders.

If the flashlight allows the use of Li-ion cells, I almost never consider NI-MH. The full power of the flashlight cannot be used.

well everyone has different needs etc, same with tints some like cool white, some hate them…

The battery door is recessed and you need a coin or screwdriver inserted into the slot to unscrew it. Since the battery isn’t easy to change the idea is that you’ll use the onboard charging most of the time.

However, the battery is not soldered in. It can be changed. And I understand the light does not actually ship with a battery so you’ll have to add your own 14500.

Agree - the use of a screwdriver to swap batteries doesn't lend itself well for primaries.

Btw, the magnet is removable, but you would probably need something in it's place. I found no glue, or even a tight fit - came out easily:

Also this is what's at the driver contact.

I had trouble getting lighting/focus in there for the pic, but it's a low profile brass button and I found the flat top AWT 14500 yellow cell did not work, so it really should be spec'd at requiring button top cells. It would be great if they offered it with a 1000 mAh 14500 option.

So -- button top only cells, though a cell with a protruding top will work as well. I mention this in the review.

The 4 on the right worked, the one on the left didn't work:

Yes you’re right. It’s just my opinion. :slight_smile: I also understand when someone cancels an order.