[Updated 2023-02-10] Migration complete

Hey there @ToyKeeper , great to see you here.

Hmm, could you please PM me that link? Aliases have been created for all threads (i.e. https://budgetlightforum.com/node/72166) and even for their individual comments (i.e. https://budgetlightforum.com/comment/1571646#comment-1571646).

Iā€™m also using Firefox ESR on Linux, itā€™s definitely supported. I wonder if youā€™re running a custom build with a non-standard user agent? Also as you know, Discourse is Javascript-heavy and it does require it to be enabled and probably wonā€™t work right if an extension messes with the Javascript. I understand thatā€™s not exactly a selling point for some, but Discourse was the only forum offering by a long shot that offered the community moderation features that we depend on here, and it is what it is I guess. Later on when I have some time Iā€™ll expand a bit more on my essay in this post about why the move was necessary and why Drupal wasnā€™t viable anymore.

By default everyone was imported as an untrusted user, and to prevent spammers that post ā€œGreat post!ā€ and then go back and edit it with a spam link after a few hours it disables edits for untrusted user. The system will quickly and automatically escalate the userā€™s privileges with normal usage patterns, but I just raised yours manually.

Unfortunately true. It does still accept straight HTML posts, but itā€™s more restrictive. Also a necessary evil to prevent XSS and simple boneheads that break the forum layout with some janky script or CSS.

Could you give me a few links please?

How about this?
https://budgetlightforum.com/my/preferences/profile
It will show in a popup when the userā€™s avatar is clicked.

2 Thanks

Nice work on the migration!

Whether or not Discourse is peopleā€™s favourite, itā€™s very good to know that itā€™s being looked after by @sb56637 and is now more future proof.

If anyoneā€™s missing threads they subscribed too, most of mine are in this search result of threads with over 1000 posts:

https://budgetlightforum.com/search?q=%20min_posts%3A1000

1 Thank

@sb56637 Please add the ability for me to edit the migrated posts. The formatting of my LED test text is sometimes a little bit broken (no centered text or something which affects the clarity of the texts) and I had to fix it. In addition, I need the ability to add updates or new informations to existing tests also from older dates. Thanks!

Still some apparent DNS propagation issues. My ISPā€™s DNS doesnā€™t look to be up to speed while 1.1.1.1 / 8.8.8.8 seem to be pointing correctly.

1 Thank

Sure, done.

Interestingā€¦ do you happen to know the IP of your ISPā€™s DNS so I can dig it?

1 Thank

FYI - Solved with some experimentation.

Below are some results using the URL to one of my BLF posts with various options:

If you use the :link: (Insert Hyperlink) function while composing your post and paste the URL into the ā€œPaste a URL or type to search topicsā€ box of the pop-up window for the :link: (Insert Hyperlink) function (also note that you do not need to enter any text into the ā€œoptional titleā€ box unless you want something different than the URL to be shown in your saved post) you get a ā€œclickable text linkā€ that looks like this:

https://budgetlightforum.com/t/easy-method-for-setting-the-anduril-2-voltage-correction-factor/69798

If you paste the URL into your post on a new line and also insert a space character at the beginning of the line before the URL (or paste the URL anywhere within your post with text on both sides of it) you get the embedded ā€œtitle tagā€ of the URL which is also ā€œclickableā€ that looks like this when there is a space character at the beginning of the line before the URL:

Easy Method for Setting the Anduril 2 "Voltage Correction Factor"

or looks like this when there is text on both sides of the URL:

some text before the URL Easy Method for Setting the Anduril 2 "Voltage Correction Factor" and some text after the URL

If you just paste the URL into your post on itā€™s own line you get the embedded ā€œtitle tagā€ of the URL which is also ā€œclickableā€ along with a preview of the URL that looks like this:

3 Thanks

Thank you very much, itā€™s working. :slight_smile:

Just one another question: is it possible to center the text via bbcode/Html or in the editor?

Oh man - I remove that every time so much as think about it and forgot to update the routerā€™s DHCP settings last reconfig. Frontier looks to be claimingā€¦

Primary DNS: 74.40.74.40
Secondary DNS: 74.40.74.41
1 Thank

Itā€™s the same issue SammysHP mentioned, where old URLs with ā€œ?page=Nā€ on the end return ā€œOops! That page doesnā€™t exist or is private.ā€ This, unfortunately, includes a lot of incoming links from search engines and such.

Discourse supports page-based navigation URLs, but to make it hit the right destination, it would need to multiply the page number by the old siteā€™s posts per page value, then maybe divide by the new siteā€™s value to figure out the new page, or calculate an approximate post number and redirect to that.

Itā€™s a pretty vanilla Firefox. It looks like Debian 10ā€™s version is unsupported, but Debian 11ā€™s version worksā€¦ so older versions can get rejected even if they probably have the necessary features.

Yeah, itā€™s amazing you kept Drupal going for so long. People (including me) are going to be unhappy about losing the platform they spent the past decade on, but I understand why it had to happen.

Itā€™s just posts where I used HTML for formatting, like divs and tables and css and other things the old forum passed through raw but the new forum removes or escapes to avoid potential abuse.

For example, old site:

ā€¦ and the same post in the new site looks pretty different because the formatting got stripped out:

I wouldnā€™t expect fancy stuff like that to translate, but it looks like even relatively simple markup like headings and tables are blocked too. Beforeā€¦

ā€¦ and after:

So I might try to reformat some of those to fit the new engineā€™s feature set.

I thought Iā€™d have to rewrite every post with an image in it, but I checked from an outside IP address and the images work thereā€¦ it looks like the broken image links only affect me and only on an internal network. So Iā€™ll fix that internally instead. Itā€™s probably just different handling of http vs https hrefs between the old and new engines.

Anyway, with an entry in /etc/hosts, the old site still respondsā€¦ so I can save old stuff that way as long as it keeps running for a while.

1 Thank

BTW, is there anything like the old ā€œMy Subscriptionsā€ page? I havenā€™t found a function yet which does that (i.e. lists all the threads Iā€™m subscribed to, in order of most recent updates, ideally with a count of how many comments are unread).

With ~1100 threads subscribed and at least 100 that Iā€™m behind on, not having the list makes it hard to catch up. But perhaps I just havenā€™t found it yet.

1 Thank

Not exactly, but there are some analogues.

1 Thank

Hi ToyKeeper, thanks a lot for the thoughtful reply as always.

Thanks a lot to @ToyKeeper and @SammysHP for catching that. I applied a fix that seems to be working to strip the ?page=N part of the query. Could you both please test a few incoming links again?

So Firefox ESR 91? As best I can tell, Debian 10 has upgraded to Firefox ESR 102, which is the same version Iā€™m running on Debian 11.

Ouch, that example there is indeed a mess. I used Pandoc to convert HTML->HTML (basically to clean up some terribly messy output that the old ā€œAdvanced Post Editorā€ generated / accepted from paste-ins) and Textile->Markdown, depending on the original format of the post. But it apparently got confused on that post and it escaped everything with \backslashes. Pandoc normally seemed to handle tables well in my testing, but I obviously didnā€™t check every post. The good news is that I just edited it and copy/pasted in the original table and it looks like it worked. Can you find any other examples like that? Sorry to give you additional work, I know youā€™re still trying to dig out from some things too.

<div align=center>

Centered normal text

## Centered heading

</div>

Centered text

Centered heading

It looks like BBcode already is or can be supported too, but Iā€™m not sure yet. There is even a more advanced post editor toolbar with alignment buttons that I could install. Iā€™ll look into it a bit later after I dig out from some other tasks here.

2 Thanks

Thanks a lot. Hmm, looks like their DNS either isnā€™t working at all or else they donā€™t accept queries from outside customers.

It appears to work now, meaning it goes to post #1 of the given thread. Not ideal, when the incoming link was aiming for page 394 in a very long thread, but itā€™s an improvement from the previous behavior.

In this case, it was Firefox ESR 78. So roughly 2.5 years old. It has been pretty reliable whenever a site doesnā€™t work in Chrome, but it looks like I just found the first exception to that rule.

Thanks!

Iā€™m sure Iā€™ve got plenty of other posts to clean up. Sometimes I got pretty, uh, ā€œcreativeā€ with formatting on the old site. But I donā€™t know yet which posts they are. For now, Iā€™m mostly saving some things from the old server before it gets shut offā€¦ and then Iā€™ll remove my DNS override and focus more on the new site.

I havenā€™t figured out how to get the new search function to match the keywords which would take me directly to affected posts. Like, ā€œstyle=ā€ returns 6 matches for me on the new site, or 500+ on the old site. But since the old siteā€™s search does it pretty easily, perhaps I can search on the old site and fix on the new site.

1 Thank

Honestly, what does page 394 even mean. Just change the number of posts on a page and it will be completely meaningless.

Ancient. Iā€™ve updated my Firefox 68 on Android as well, though. :sweat_smile:

Maybe bacause it just got filtered out during the migration because style attributes are no longer allowed.

1 Thank

When not logged in (i.e. what search engines see), the site used a default of 30 comments per page. The 394 figure was an actual google result for the thing I searched for earlier, and it goes to comment number 30 * 394, or a page containing comments 11820 to 11850 in the target thread.

With the siteā€™s history of long and meandering threads, and search enginesā€™ tendency to index by page instead of by post, the page number means quite a bit.

I know it feels like it has been forever since 2020, because covid made time weird, butā€¦ it really wasnā€™t that long ago. This version of Firefox was brand new when I started my current X11 login session. It seems really strange that a browser (especially an extended support release) would have a shorter lifespan than my xterms.

It wasnā€™t filtered out during migration. If I search on the old site and load the comments on the new site, the markup is still there. Itā€™s just not showing up in search results, and isnā€™t rendered during page views. I searched for style attributes specifically because the new site doesnā€™t honor them, meaning they need to be adapted to something compatible with the new site. I suspect the search function is searching on a stripped-down version of the text, which means it omits exactly the types of things Iā€™m searching for.

Right. I guess the saving grace is that most human-created links to specific information here were either referring to /node/N (the first post in the thread) or to a specific reply /comment/N#comment-N , and we have permalink redirects set up directly to all of those. And if a human search user does hit a /node/N?page=X link it will at least take them to the correct topic, and from there they can search on the page using the Discourse in-topic search even if itā€™s buried hundreds of posts in. I agree with @SammysHP that a link to a page of 30 posts wasnā€™t very specific either, and it still required on-page searching to find the correct post.

Fun fact regarding those Drupal ?page=N links: There was a bug in Drupal for the administrator user, which could see unpublished ā€œremovedā€ posts in a thread, and that messed up the post numbering. So I would get a tip from somebody about ā€œpost #89ā€ or even a direct link http://budgetlightforum.com/comment/N#comment-N and it would either take me to the wrong post, or else the last post visible on a page was actually not the last post. I usually resorted to manually changing the URL query parameter to /node/N?page=999 just to see all the comments in a thread.

There was some custom regexp that I ran on the posts during import, in addition to being passed through Pandoc. Hereā€™s that part of the code:

https://pastebin.mozilla.org/RZYa28L4

1 Thank

I would appreciate this, because for me more features in formatting are always better :smiley:

To be honest, the old WYSIWYG editor was not so bad in terms of features and formatting options (ok, it was admittedly also not really nice to look at but at least it works fine) - if the new software here can achieve the same featureset this would be perfect.

Despite the unfamiliar operation and the very different appearance, I am happy about the change of the software, especially because of the easier operation on smartphones. Thank you for your efforts and the work to migrate the forum to a new software!

1 Thank

Thanks a lot @koef3 for your kind words!

It wonā€™t be exactly the same feature set because the old software was extremely permissive, to the point of allowing scripts and HTML and CSS that would break the entire thread. Fortunately it didnā€™t happen often, but this forum software is more restrictive in that sense. Weā€™ll see what we can do though to add a few more features where possible.