updated: "unbranded Prototype" of UTorch UT03

Can you burn yourself when its on turbo :smiley:

OP reflectors give a bigger hotspot. They probably think the hotspot is already big enough due to the shallow reflector shape, plus with 3 emitters your less likely to see a donut hole shape. So SMO, and higher efficiency, is the smart choice.

If you will look at maukka’s tests you will see that most cree leds (and all new multi-dies) are not suitable with smo reflectors. Tint shift is too big for comfortable usage. The only cree multi-die led that is good with smo is mt-g2.
Reflector size too die area ratio is too small for any impressive throw, I think extra green areolas absense is more significant neither extra 10m of throw.

Aren’t you answering your own question?

You asked why they are not using OP reflectors then you say that OP reflectors are not suited to this light.

What???

Fixed

Just opened the bezel , leds’ mcpcb seems to be a 1.5mm aluminum one .

Led shelf is anodized , but : 100% flat , and mcpcb is perfect too .

Pics later

Aluminum!

With 10,000 lumens? That’s just not what I would expect. That’s a lot of heat to transfer there.

Who knows why they went with an smo reflector. I was just tossing out possible reasons.

Have to ask Utorch why. :smiley:

I understand the problems of single XHP70 + smooth reflector. But to what extent do you have these problems in a triple configuration? Do we have any knowledge about that?
Another possibility is that they might use XHP70.2 where the cross gap is much thinner; is this feasible?

These in the pictures are definitely the regular xhp70. The xhp70.2 is not out yet. They may be in stores like cutter and Kaidomain in a month or so.

It’s possible they went with SMO just to save a few pennies. Like with the aluminum mcpcb. It seems they are building this light on a tight budget.

Well, the whole existence of Utorch is to be a cheaper variant of Manker. Budget (but good quality) lights apparently sell well, and are profitable. So no doubt you’ll see cost reducing parts here and there. I was a bit surprised to see the aluminium ledboard as well, but then again the leds are not overdriven (< 4000 lumens each) so there is no real need. The temperature will be a bit higher resulting in a bit less output compared to copper. But again, the emphasis of Utorch as a brand seems to be more budget than performance.
If you look at the UT02 (IIRC), it only produces 1000 lumens (instead of around 1300) to spare the driver. Same thing perhaps, emphasis on budget quality instead of absolute performance?

Sure they are aiming for 10’000 lumens vs 12’000 lumens if they drive it hard but going for aluminium rather than copper will simply mean the run times on the high mode will be horrific. I suppose that doesn’t matter as they wont care as it’s a numbers game. It’ll still be a 10k lumen beast - it just wont do 10k for long.

Looks interesting….

Manker turned down their drivers on the U21 as well, but did not change the description (IIRC). I think the quality is exactly the same, just Manker needs higher profit margins due to designing the light plus more overhead, etc…

Utorch has less overhead since they just copy it, so they can reduce their profit margins to bring their price down and out sell Manker.

That’s my theory at least.

Is this a clone of a Manker light? I didn’t remember them having one like this. I checked their website and see nothing like this design.

Is this a Utorch original or a clone of a light from a different company? It looks nice and unique.

Light has 21 “ultra-low / low” brightness levels to choose from :

From off , click 4 times to get in programming mode . Now , depending in which level you are , a single click gets you to the next brightness level (it’s in cycle , so once you reach the highest , you’re back in the lowest). Longer click saves the level you’re in .

It has some cool sub lumen modes , that even xhp70s can’t light properly all the dies …

That’s Manker’s engineering mode. Now I really wonder what the relation between Manker and Utorch is… Is Utorch a blatant rip-off, or is it something else…

i think they come from same OEM/ODM...

took some measures and pics

will write an update soon but atm i am pi**ed :(

my olight X7 (i wanted to use it to compare) just died...

played with both lights and suddenly the X7 did not switch on again.

Man what a bummer. Seriously, this is the first time I read about an X7 failing…

It seems the 70.2 has just showed up at kaidomain. That’s earlier than expected. I still doubt this Utorch will have them since it was surely designed for the xhp70 many months ago.

I think you’re right. Interestingly, there was a discussion some months ago about the use of smooth reflectors with XHP70.2, hence I had to mention this. Anyhow, this light is dang pretty.