USED- Laptop packs -USED

Bump for anyone between San Mateo and San Jose to join in… we’ve still got room in a medium box and I can probably deliver (please PM to confirm). We’re going to close this GB out on Wednesday.

I just tried some Sanyos (purple top) from a Compaq laptop of my neighbors and they are fantastic, hoping these are as good.
Very low ohms and incredible amperage on my single cell lights with Direct Drive drivers.
Thanks!
Keith

Bump reminder that there's still room for this San Mateo to San Jose GB until tomorrow, 6/21 slots filled (to Hagg's medium box specs), PM ruffles!

Next group of orders have went out with a few more still needing to move. Have plenty left.

I received a lot of 36 of these cells on Saturday and had a chance to charge and test 9 of them over the weekend.
They all measured 4.02 resting when received and after charging and discharging they all are in the 2100-2250 range.
They have a nice low internal resistance and pull really well on some of my amp hungry direct drive flashlights.
I will have to put some solder blobs on so they can be used on lights without springs on the drivers, but that is standard fare when using flat top laptop pulls.

All of the cells are in great condition with no tears on the wrappers, no dents, no leaks. Just need to clean up the small weld marks from the laptop strips. Dremel and 5 minutes and all are looking good.
I will put all of the remaining ones through a charge/discharge cycle in the next 2 weeks and will report the results again at a later date.

I do not have many lights that run in series, most are single cell lights which are perfect for these.
Anyway, having the ability to procure quality Sanyo cells for roughly 55 cents each delivered to my door is my kinda BLF deal. Buy more, save more.
If you have been on the fence and curious of these cells, I encourage you to try a few out, I do not think you will be disappointed.

Thanks Hagg911 for the great deal, I will be back for more.
Keith

Got my 3 packs today, delivered by ruffles. Extremely good results; will post in the community pull thread soon. Now I have waaaay too many batteries for my own good! :P

EDIT: posted in the community pulls thread

Everybody that has I owe shipments to, I will get them out tomorrow. I hate that it has taken me this long and I do apologize. On the bright side of things I helped students clean two coyotes, two raccoons, two squirrels, a rabbit and a small parakeet for a display for the university. Now that they are in the beetle tank I have some time for batteries.

Slightly late thanks for the quick delivery of packs for me and Otanacious… I haven’t pulled mine yet, but based on everyone else, I figure I’ve got the BLF deities (Lux, Lumens) on my side.

And thanks to Otanacious for a smooth transaction — no muss, no fuss.

It’s been said before, but this is a smokin’ deal. Get one or two people in your area to pile on, and the deal gets better and better.

Oh wow…you do taxidermy too…nice!

Time to have these babies sit idle for a week. Negative side voltage is after 24hr self discharge (if any); Will label the positive side with the 168+/-12hr voltage.

original size

This is a pic from a review by HJK of the discharge curve of a Samsung 26F. Notice how steep the curve is at around 3.2V - 2.8V That’s where I would have a cell sit to see if it leaks. Any leak will be much more noticeable
as any loss of charge would have a larger effect on the voltage. A fully charged cell is the worst place to check for leakage because that is where the discharge curve is relatively flat. Leakage wouldn’t be as noticeable.

Also, I would be nervous having all those untested cells sitting around fully charged. If one were to let go, there would be more energy that would be released if they are fully charged up.

So not only is around 3V a better place to see if they leak, it is also a safer place to be if one does.
Don’t forget, by having 27 cells in one box, you increase the odds of having a problem by a factor of 27.

Never heard of checking at the low end of the curve for drop. Wouldn’t that just give you a faster “read” if there is going to be a drop? As for keeping them together I am not sure what you mean. How do you store your 18650s? I have some in dual boxes and some just on a shelf, and some in a box just like in the the picture shown.

I think a faster read IS a better read.

The issue with storage in THIS case is the storage of 27 cells of unknown stability, fully charged at that. How many cells in one place would start making you nervous?
More cells = more risk.
Once they are tested and known to be good, then there is less risk. That’s the point of testing them.

532 packs x9 cells= 4788…… Maybe I should move them to the garage.

Or…the neighbor’s garage? :open_mouth:

I don’t think there is any real risk of those cells being an issue in your garage: provided they are kept within normal operating temps (< 60°C ) and not being abused in any way. Put it this way: how many laptop battery fires do you hear of each year?

If I was in the US I would be all over this… sounds like once properly tested and sorted these would make for good cheap cells for e-bike batteries etc.

I am more on this side of the fence, they are sitting next to my office desk.

Have sent out close to 500 packs. Either giveaways, trades, or sales. Have about the same left over. If you want some let me know.

Sent some to 18sixfifty if you want to purchase cherry picked cells, For sale Sanyo blue tops 18650's SOLD

These have been starting to move faster. I hope to have them all gone within a month or two.

No more packs are coming in from my supplier. When these are gone that will be then end.

Less than 400, and if this next order goes through then its well under 300 packs left.