UV filter, need help!

Hello everybody!

I ordered a flashlight 6.61€ 11% OFF|365nm 395nm high power UV Led Flashilight zoom Fluoreszierende Schwarzlicht Uv 18650 Lampe licht Fackeln für erkennung|LED-Taschenlampen| - AliExpress
It is cheap and I want to add a UV filter and maybe replace the LED.

I’ve ordered this Page Not Found - Aliexpress.com just because I’m dumb (I think it’s too small now).

They are on the way. Please tell me which filter and LED is better to buy? Cheap and efficient, please.

Well, you should probably wait and see just how good or bad that flashlight is before you buy anything else. LG makes a pretty good 365nm LED but that doesn’t mean you can just drop it in that unit.

What do you want to be able to do with your UV flashlight? The one you’re getting might still make stuff glow pretty good but will have lots of left over visible light.

If that filter you ordered doesnt fit, try looking for a “convoy S2” with a 365nm led already in it…

You might look for some threads here by “djozz” where he reviewed different UV lights and emitters, like these:

I’d like to go outside at night to find some beautiful stones and see the nature with almost no visible light

If you want to keep costs down since you already ordered the zooming flashlight and the filter you could just replace the LED (I think the mcpcb is typically 20mm in W878-like flashlights but you may need to measure it) and glue or tape the filter somehow (since it’s the wrong size) but you can’t drive it hard as the heatsinking in such cheap flashlights is very poor, usually it’s hollow below the mcpcb. I hope the lens is glass rather than UV blocking plastic.

The end result probably will be worse than a Convoy, often trying to improve cheap flashlights is a waste of money. Spending too much doesn’t make much sense when you can get a LG Convoy for $21.

The filter looks good although the size may not be right, but this flashlight is too cheap to be any good.

As said before you should invest a UV S2 with the right filter if you want to do something useful with it.

Thanks a lot. Ordered UV S2

I think you’ll be happy with it.
I put a ZWB2 filter on mine and it still illuminates 30+ feet out. Glow disc golf is my main use of the light.
Please be careful using it indoors. Don’t shine towards eyes or skin. You should be OK outside though.

Lots of fun ahead indeed. Start with the kitchen and bathroom to see how disturbing it can be… :disappointed:

A pair of any glasses will block a lot of UV and is a good idea if you use it more then a couple minutes. Dont shine it in anybody’s face and watch for reflections. The eye is much more vulnerable in the dark when it is wide open. It wont turn you blind either if that happens but you want to avoid it.