UV flashlight for scorpions

the jetbeam uv is a good light too, ofc not as strong as the convoy uv light but it should work ok too… just be careful there :open_mouth:

Why do we need the add on filter?I have one Convoy S2 UV to check for fake Euros.Have I to buy the filter too?

I have the Nichia version with the filter.
The difference between filter and no filter is very small, almost unnoticeable.

The Nichia 276A U365 led tends to detoriate over time at the 700mA that Convoy is using, emitting more visible light, but even brand new there is an advantage using the ZWB2 filter, see an old test from back in 2015. 2mm ZWB2 filter tested (visible light blocking filter suitable for 365nm UV flashlights)

Looking for the filter you mentioned,I found this eBay site,talking about a new UV led for the Konvoy S2 with 1750mA,instead of 700 or 1050 mA.Do you know something more about it please?
The link is this. https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-CONVOY-S2-BEST-365nm-LONGWAVE-UV-ULTRAVIOLET-LED-FILTERED-MINERAL-FLASHLIGHT-/132994479726

The led they say they are using I tested a while ago, LG 365nm UV led tested (LEUVA33W70RL00, from Simon), it has a large die and LG 365nm leds seem to be tougher than Nichia or Seoul Viosys leds. They emit a substantial amount of visible light but that is what the ZWB2 filter is for. It can indeed work at 1750mA if on a DTP board and mounted well. Btw, you can buy it (same light same led without silly inscription) at Simon’s own Convoy site for less than half that price, 15.65€ 26% OFF|Grijs Convoy S2 Uv 365nm Zaklamp, 7135*5 Single Mode, Zwb2 Filter Geïnstalleerd, uva 18650 Ultraviolet Zaklamp, Fakkel|Zaklampen| - AliExpress

OK,I have just ordered this from Simon’s.Thank you very much djozz.

I have the Jetbeam JET-UV 3535-UV-365nm …. It’s a neat little AAA light.

I have several (more than 2… :wink: ) 18650 UV Lights, both Jaxman & Convoy, Nichia & LG emitters.

I cannot give any technical information such as djozz & others can…. I have learned from reading what they say.

But I can tell you this Convoy S2 Grey 7135*5 365nm UV Flashlight is my favorite 18650 UV light at this point. It uses the LG emitter & comes with the ZWB2 filter standard.

Note: both of the above links are to Banggood, that is not a recommendation; that is just where I bought them.

At the time I bought the Convoy S2 Grey I could not buy it from Simon. It would not ship to the USA because it had the ZWB2 filter installed. Something about a patent dispute. Anyway… it would ship from Banggood. :wink:

I wasn’t too much of a “believer” in the filter… ’til I tried it. Night and day when you have an UVLED that also “leaks” visible light.

By filtering out visible light, you’re making sure what you’re seeing is only what fluoresces.

If some LEDs have low visible leakage, hey, great, but from my comparing identical lights (UV S2+es, black body), one with and one without the ZWB filter, to me it made a huge difference.

+1 to what Lightbringer said about the ZWB2 filter. It is well worth getting! It makes a world of difference in my experience. :+1:

Red, white an UV. Amazon had them last I looked. Rus on 2 AAAs or 10440s.

I have one of those Acebeam UC 15’s, actually same color as in photo
Great little pocket light with a nice steady clip.

As it is a 1000 lumen at Turbo and 600-200 lumen on high, the running times with 10440 batteries are not long,

Slightly complicated UI, but once mastered not bad for the different emitters with one single switch.

Would have been great if it had a internal USB Type C or magnetic charger.

It is a pocket light and does what it intended to do.

UI sucks on the Acebeam. Even more so on the “upgraded” version.
And the UV is much weaker than on Convoy. You can use it to check money, but thats it

The newer copper board for the Nichia UV light should stop the slow death of the LED when used over longer periodes of time,
still would add a resistor parallel to the LED that eats up like 100mA to stay on the safe side

I wish I had better UV flashlight info, but I’ll keep an eye on the thread and learn more. Having been stung 4 times by these lil critters and seen immeasurably more, I’d suggest getting as small of a flashlight as possible so that their little claws can operate the controls. :person_facepalming: Bada bum, I’ll be here all week try the brisket folks. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the filter info on the Convoy, I bought one last year along with the JETBeam JET-UV Ultraviolet Flashlight - (also 365nm) but haven’t gotten either out for Scorpions yet. I can say that my wife’s keyboard lights up as if she killed someone though:-)

How can I tell if my s2+ UV light has a ZWB2 filter?

And if it doesn’t, where can i buy it?

On a related note, I spent 2 weeks in South Africa. Good thing nobody told me about scorpions or I would have freaked out.

If the lens is black, ZWB2, if not, then no.

I can’t remember if Simon sells them on his store, I know they’re on Banggood though.

edit:

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/ZWB2-filter-for-365nm-light/330416_32649282235.html

Old thread with some good info….

I think I’d get a flamethrower…

yeah nah, i’m used to all the spiders and stuff here but no thanks you can keep your scorpions