UV flashlight for scorpions

I have one of those Acebeam UC 15’s, actually same color as in photo
Great little pocket light with a nice steady clip.

As it is a 1000 lumen at Turbo and 600-200 lumen on high, the running times with 10440 batteries are not long,

Slightly complicated UI, but once mastered not bad for the different emitters with one single switch.

Would have been great if it had a internal USB Type C or magnetic charger.

It is a pocket light and does what it intended to do.

UI sucks on the Acebeam. Even more so on the “upgraded” version.
And the UV is much weaker than on Convoy. You can use it to check money, but thats it

The newer copper board for the Nichia UV light should stop the slow death of the LED when used over longer periodes of time,
still would add a resistor parallel to the LED that eats up like 100mA to stay on the safe side

I wish I had better UV flashlight info, but I’ll keep an eye on the thread and learn more. Having been stung 4 times by these lil critters and seen immeasurably more, I’d suggest getting as small of a flashlight as possible so that their little claws can operate the controls. :person_facepalming: Bada bum, I’ll be here all week try the brisket folks. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the filter info on the Convoy, I bought one last year along with the JETBeam JET-UV Ultraviolet Flashlight - (also 365nm) but haven’t gotten either out for Scorpions yet. I can say that my wife’s keyboard lights up as if she killed someone though:-)

How can I tell if my s2+ UV light has a ZWB2 filter?

And if it doesn’t, where can i buy it?

On a related note, I spent 2 weeks in South Africa. Good thing nobody told me about scorpions or I would have freaked out.

If the lens is black, ZWB2, if not, then no.

I can’t remember if Simon sells them on his store, I know they’re on Banggood though.

edit:

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/ZWB2-filter-for-365nm-light/330416_32649282235.html

Old thread with some good info….

I think I’d get a flamethrower…

yeah nah, i’m used to all the spiders and stuff here but no thanks you can keep your scorpions

We have scorpions here, but I think they can only hurt you and not kill you.

If I see them and I think I can kill them by stepping on them and quickly twisting, that's what I do.

The biggest one I saw was so big and juicy looking I was afraid I might get stung so I left it alone.

(But that was before I had the idea of quickly twisting them to death.)

kiwf!

Thanks!

So this filter replaces the stock lens or goes on top of the stock lens?

I use them by replacing the stock lens. The stuff is a bit more brittle than normal glass so do not expect the impact resistance of harded mineral glass.

I have lived in S.Africa since 1984, and have only ever seen one scorpion, which was a non-dangerous kind.

There are apparently 3 species of scorpion here, one is non-venomous, one is like a bee sting, and the third (the small white one) is potentially deadly. There is also a very common harmless but horrible-looking thing called a whip-scorpion, which I think is member of the spider family. Note that it doesn’t have a tail

I have no idea what the distribution of the real scorpions is, but you won’t likely see them in Durban.

Anyway, scorpion UV torches (not a quality brand) are sold in Cape Union Mart, which is an outdoor store present in just about every shopping mall in the country, so don’t worry if you don’t find one before you get here. Expect to pay around $10-$15 for one.

Uhhh, yeah, I still wouldn’t stick that in my mouth on a dare.

Guys,

I’ve been reading about UV flashlights to decide which one to buy as my first one and this was a useful thread even though I’m not looking for scorpions.

I don’t want to get into 18650 batteries if I can help it since I have a large set of AA and AAA Eneloop low-self-discharge NiMH batteries. Are there any 365nm flashlights that can be powered from these?

Thanks.

Sofirn has a AA UV light . It has an LG emitter but no ZWB2 filter out of the box. I think Fin also has a coupon on these in the Banggood page

That flashlight looks good. Which Banggood page were you referencing?

Thanks.

This one:

Awesome!

Thanks.