UV light to cure sore throat?

Its rare to hear someone know the real drug name, most people seem to say Robitussin or something & barely know what they are actually taking. :beer:

[rant] Its annoyingly hard to find on its own. :expressionless: Don’t want to take dextromethorphan + antihistamine + decongestant + tylenol + expectorant + pixie dust when coughing is my main problem at the moment!

Sounds like you need a few daylight lamps. Fighting seasonal affective disorder in the spring… fun.

:bigsmile: :beer:

It can be a pain sometimes, like asking a pharmacist for 50mg diphenhydramine and they look at me like “What??!” and I have to say a brand, then they ask me if I know what I am taking!!

It is amazing what can be sold as remedies and at higher prices too (Beechams powder for example >.<). But maybe some don’t want to think too hard about what they are taking and like to stick to brand names.

Do you have any stores that stock this?

It’s hard to argue that many doctors are in the pocket of the drug companies. It’s better and easier for them to just give you a drug than try to treat you. Doctors have become almost exclusively drug pushers.

There are home remedies that actually work but you will never hear about them from doctors. I’m all about science and respect the idea of doctors but in America some doctors have become perverted, lazy, drug pushers who double and triple book appointments and spend only enough time with the patient to decide what drug to give them.

They are not all like that but I went through 3 that fit that model before I found an old guy that was not a drug pusher.

OT, read no further if you are seeking help on the topic of UV treatment of sensitive mucous membranes (instead, join us next week when we will be discussing the efficiency of UV light vs. recurring Candidal vulvovaginitis)

O blimey, I did get you a wee bit miffed, didn’t I? Really, I’m sorry about that in particular.

As far as that lot you mentioned above is concerned, those of them who know me can take it. There are few I raise my hat to, even; and far too many I’d be cautious to even shake their hands (hygiene, hint hint!). Yes, gloves actually do serve a purpose, so does antibacterial soap, and so does sticking to the routine of not touching any doorhandles after one has put on the latex gloves just before performing a surgery.

If you happen to take a vacation in contionental Europe, take a look around which companies have not been affected by the financial crisis (crisises, even, plural - seems we’re stumbling from one to the next every couple of months) at all - exactly, the pharmaceutical industry is in full bloom, expanding, and well - and sadly, a lot of MDs have become their mere salesmen.

I agree with you about the pharmaceutical industry, they are also doing (TOO) well here in the United States.

But I do not think it is due to the doctors. It almost seems you are implying that there are many MD’s intentionally mis-prescribing drugs, and then also getting a kick-back for doing so. It is a bit much for me to believe.

Sorry, I did not want to hijack the thread. Back to killing germs!

As hobby herbalist with over half a decade of experience I recommend ginger, garlic, st. johns wort, thyme, coltsfoot, horehound, marsh mellow (the herb, not the candy) and last but not least my favorite and in my opinion most efficient antibacterial from mother nature’s medicine chest: ABSINTHE (tea, not the alcoholic beverage).

From experience maybe even more effective then all of the above together PROPOLIS. It’s the beehive’s chemical maze of antibiotics and HIGHLY effective.

I wish you all the best! Flashoholics don’t deserve to be sick, they need to stay outdoors for more beamshots, hahaha.

I do also recommend warm salt water and whiskey (not combined!) for gargling as did Pinetreebbs and Chloe.

That's interesting... I have always found that raw honey, either small amounts eaten, or with tea, help me a lot when I'm sick.

Any specific type you would recommend online?

Well actually yes, since we are at it. From my knowledge and experience I do recommend “iherb.com”. My personal coupon code “KEP135” there will cut down 5 or 10 bucks instantly of your first order only. Technically you could get your stuff for free or greatly reduced then but would have to pay shipping under 40 bucks.

Also, I forgot to mention Cordyceps above, it’s more immune system boosting and lung restorative:
http://www.iherb.com/MRM-Cordyceps-CS-4-Strain-60-Veggie-Caps/4670%20
(brand and kind I use and I recommend it but that’s more for cold/flu PREVENTION although it does help from my knowledge once you are sick as well. At least for my wife it does along with garlic, tons of GREEN TEA, Propolis and what I wrote in the previous post.)

Drinking many cups of green tea will have strong healing and immune system boosting effects as well (the teas polyphenols, the main active chemicals, increase your white blood cells count. White blood cells are responsible for killing bacteria and other unwanted intruders. Ginger does the same by the way. Different chemical in ginger but same effect.). You probably have it at home so I recommend you drink 3-5 cups plus a day. (I do even when not being sick.)

PROPOLIS
http://www.iherb.com/Y-S-Organic-Bee-Farms-Propolis-70-Ultra-Strength-1-fl-oz-30-ml/23688
(one of my favorite products on their site, will kill the living hell out of any bacteria)
(when I start to feel sick I just put a couple of drops of that stuff directly on my throat and I haven’t been sick since… hm… 18 months or something.)

You can also find the mentioned herbs on their site but I don’t have experience with all of them directly from the site and in normal quantities since I order huge quantities that you don’t need (1lb of dried organic ginger from the iherb for example, it’s great but you don’t need a pound!) so on that it’s not very relevant what I recommend from experience.

But if there wasn’t money to be made, it might be ignored. There are some home remedies that have been proven to work better than prescriptions and store bought aids.

I will give an example. Plantar warts can be cured by applying duct tape to them for a prolonged time. They are not sure exactly how it works but it’s actually more effective than surgically having them removed or any other method.

I tried this many years ago because I developed some warts on my feet from showering at the gym with no shoes. They started to spread and I tried everything. I applied small squares of duct tape to them covered by larger squares. I would leave them on 24/7 for a few days and then replace them. In about 3 weeks, the warts that I had covered had disappeared AND the ones I had not covered had also gone. Some of these warts I had for years. This was no coincidence. The duct tape treatment was what got rid of them. I’m 100% certain of it.

One theory is, it triggers your immune system to fight the warts. I think that is possible because it got rid of all the warts not just the ones I had treated with tape.

Why aren’t doctors telling people to use duct tape for wart removal if it’s scientifically proven to be the most effective treatment? Because, how can they make money on it? I’m not saying they are evil or anything but it’s just not on their radar.

You could do worse than to read the research with Google Scholar searches.
You will notice a rather dramatic difference in the information produced.
That doesn’t mean you should trust what you read, Scholar picks up some wackywoo crap pages too.
Look for papers that have been cited by more recent papers and follow the ideas forward in time a bit.
See what’s stood up to skepticism.

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?as_vis=0&q=antibacterial+UV+blue+light&hl=en&as_sdt=1,5

try limiting it to verbatim, and to more recent time, and otherwise reduce the volume by repeated searching narrowing your criteria.
Omit the patents. All sorts of useless crap has been patented with health claims, which don’t have to be supported by facts.

“Be careful in reading health books. You may die of a misprint.” — attributed to Mark Twain

I don’t have any experience with salt water and a sore throte, but it certainly helps when you have a stuffed up nose.

You can use a saucer instead of the palm of your hand. Do it standing before/over a sink (you might sneeze :wink: ).
Stop snorting the moment you can taste the salt water. Hold it for a few seconds and let it flow back (into the sink).
Then snort with your other nostril. After a minute or so, blow your nose. When your nose “unclogs” blow it again.
You may repeat the procedure the next day.
Then wait at least five days before you do this again (certainly DON’T do it three times a day, day after day!)

actually :slight_smile:

“I know you guys think of yourself as humans, and this is sort of how I think of you. There are about a trillion human cells that make each one of us who we are and able to do all the things that we do, but you have 10 trillion bacterial cells in you or on you at any moment in your life. So, 10 times more bacterial cells than human cells on a human being. And of course it’s the DNA that counts, so here’s all the A, T, Gs and Cs that make up your genetic code, and give you all your charming characteristics. You have about 30,000 genes. Well it turns out you have 100 times more bacterial genes playing a role in you or on you all of your life.

At the best, you’re 10 percent human, but more likely about one percent human, depending on which of these metrics you like. I know you think of yourself as human beings, but I think of you as 90 or 99 percent bacterial. :slight_smile:

Also bacteria that make light! Maybe some day we can grow our lights? What would home flashlight hacking look like then?

Dextromethorphan? Ew. Whiskey works for me.

Seriously, the stuff messes with my head. I mean, so does whiskey, but I like how whiskey messes with my head.