Waiting for the day when rubber USB port covers are a distant memory

I’ve been dealing with Port covers on my phones daily for the last 7 years. Even though they all had the additional seal the cover keeps the dirt and crud and water out. It’s not really a major problem. I’m not entirely happy with some of the micro USB covers on some lights. The only type C flashlight cover that I have is on the Wurkkos FC11. It’s pretty easy and seems to be a good design but I would question its reliability to keep working and stay fully waterproof if I was popping it in and out everyday for years at a time. It’s not an EDC so that’s not a big issue for me. As already mentioned, assembly, size, space, how waterproof do you really need, all need to be considered. For me, even if the port was sealed without a cover I would still want a cover on it. There are no lights that use magnets that are on the budget end of things at this time. Any light that I’m going to EDC needs to be able to go underwater and I’m not going to rely on the port cover. As a third or fourth light or other use that’s fine. My primary EDC has no ports and my secondary EDC uses a magnet. Size does matter for EDC. The bottom line is there are a lot of variables. If there was one “best” solution we could pick 10 people to come up with one design. Well actually they would come up with 12 different designs. And half of them would have some serious flaws.

I have a Taclife flashlight and the tailcap screws off to expose the charging port. I love that feature

I also have some with the rubber cover. I think if the cover was lost, I would fill in the port with silicone , hot glue or epoxy and externally charge the battery .

One mod that can help prevent snagging of the rubber flap is to bevel the lift tab with a razor. This works well depending on the particular design. The Sofirn SC31 pro tab is a good candidate for this.

The way Sofirn recessed the rubber cover over the charging port on their IF22A is very good because the little flap you pull on to remove the rubber cover does not easily snag on anything.